Who does not mind the single coil hum?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Blue4Now, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

With so many threads about noisless single coil pickups I was curious if anyone flat out does not mind the noise. Now I just play at home and with friends for fun and don't make my living as a musician so i can't claim to know anything about giging, but for me I really don't mind the hum. In a way it makes playing guitar more low fi and low tech and I guess more raw and, for me, more fun.

2. mkolesa@mac.com

mkolesa@mac.com Member

I for one don't mind... It's part of the animal. One interesting anecdote. I saw Neil Young a couple months ago and for his encore of Cinnamon Girl he came out with an LP Junior (single P-90 in the bridge position)... Obviously his amp (vintage Fender Deluxe) was maxed too, but the hum filled the hall before he hit the first chord...

3. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Me too. I just use my knob on my strat inbetween songs or stops. Rarely is the noise noticed. I like hearing it on recordings, gives a more live or realness to the sound instead of a sterile perfect thing.

4. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

Never been a problem for me when playing live. When you're playing, you don't notice it. When you stop playing, you just roll the volume pot down. Considering the fantastic tone of good P-90s, the noise is a small but worthwhile trade-off.
    Mike
    :dude

5. edward

edward Supporting Member

After the first note, even clean, any hum (normal sc hum, that is ...not the wicked 60Hz crap from dirty AC) is obliterated. No, I don't mind it at all.

Edward

6. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Hum doesn't bother me at all. I'd much rather have the tone I like than dead silence.

None of my guitars have noiseless pups.

7. yanquii

yanquii Member

I dont mind it really. It some situations i actually prefer it.

8. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Last night i played with some guys and used the guitar player's tele. It was really hummy. It sounded pretty bad. The tone was there but there was a lot of hum, so letting notes sustain was difficult as the hum would be very loud at times. I think there was something going on with the lights or the AC. But when he played the SG he had with him the hum was gone. Heaven forbid he was using a P90 guitar...it would have been worse. There are times when a little hum is just fine, but If I was gigging a lot, I'd go hum free.

9. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I like to have both options. I like humbuckers for their tone and their lack of hum for high-gain sounds, but I like single coils to sound like single coils - 'noiseless' ones are usually a compromise. And sometimes I do actually want the hum. It does add a more natural, 'organic' quality to the sound IMO. (Even humbuckers are rarely completely hum-free.)

I don't mind any sort of noise really though... and I dislike noise gates.

10. Structo

Structo Member

I for one hate the hum.
    Noiseless in two of my three strats.

11. kanderson

kanderson Member

I don't mind it at all. Like so many others posted...just roll off the volume when you're not playing. I love to hear it in recordings too...

12. eric-d

eric-d Member

never bothered me unless I'm playing a gig the has the stage surrounded by neon lights that sometimes amplify it. Other than that - it's never bothered me.

13. 6stringjazz

6stringjazz Supporting Member

I never minded it until I played a few gigs where the wiring was so bad that the hum was almost as loud as the signal. Now I have the Suhr backplate on my strat.

14. thesteve

thesteve Member

Back when I was playing my Strat at church, normal single coil hum was never a big deal to me. What would get frustrating was occasionally my Strat would start behaving like an amplifier for all of the weird wiring in my church (stage lights, fluorescent tubes, tv...who knows what else) and the hum would get really bad or completely go away depending on what direction I would face...that was super frustrating.

so yeah...normal hum...not a big deal. I just roll the volume off when I'm not playing...other electromagnetic hum...HATE IT.

15. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

Depends on the guitar, and the situation.

16. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Have you tried the suhr system? Just curious about your thoughts...

17. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I haven't tried it personally, but I heard a clip of it (recorded by Tomo, it might still be hear somewhere), and you could clearly hear the difference - he turned it on and off during the piece - and it didn't sound any better than a typical noiseless pickup to me. Sorry...

18. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I have a project strat that is fully shielded in all cavities and the pickguard. It is very quiet even with a tube amp. I don't have fluorescents in my basement, though.

19. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

No one "needs" hum but noiseless will cost you in terms of money, tone, dynamics. Funny how there is a trade off in pretty much anything you do, why is that?

20. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I haven't heard that. Let me know if you find the link. I'd love to hear it. No need to apologize. I have only tried the BPSSC and did not get to A/B with and without.