1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Who DOESN'T like the Strymon Flint?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sleejay80, Dec 26, 2016.

1. sleejay80

sleejay80 Member

I am very close to pulling the trigger,
    but at the same time very reluctant for it being a VERY expensive purchase.

I know the pros, but I want to be sure I know all the potential cons too so I don't regret.

So who here DOESN'T like the Strymon Flint?
    What don't you like about it?

2. mattlee0037

mattlee0037 Member

The sounds were great the reason I got rid of it was because when switching favorites (if using external fav) it will cut off the trails of the previous reverb completely. The sounds were fantastic though that was my only qualm.

3. Great Shot Pilot

Great Shot Pilot Supporting Member

I thought the Spring and Plate were sort of average, with only the Hall as a standout. Harmonic Trem is cool, but other tremolo modes were ordinary. I wasn't super impressed at $300.

4. 108

108 Supporting Member

It seems like an expensive pedal but consider that the reverbs and tremolo on their own are easily a $150 pedal. Together at $300 isn't really that bad.

5. greenlander

greenlander Member

The only minor quibble I had is that the pre-delay on the reverb is not adjustable. May not matter to you, though. 80s Hall is very nice.

6. Broomz

Broomz Member

I haven't liked any other Strymon pedals I've heard, but Flint is great. The 80s reverb is probably my favorite pedal reverb sound out there. Very much doubt you will regret it.

specialidiot likes this.
  7. wildshoetwt

wildshoetwt Member

The cleaner your tone the better it is, which isn't necessarily true of a real spring reverb or even tremolo. I play fairly dirty and the reverb is kind of a complete mess.

It is not nearly as versatile as the clips put out by Strymon make it sound.

All in all, it's pretty meh, my favorite Strymon pedal when listening to their demos, but my least favorite in actual practice. Maybe I got a dud..

8. Takk

Takk Member

I like Flint but sold it. Because RV-6 and TR-2 combo sounds as good as Flint and much cheaper.

Funny123, guitarslinger21 and wilto like this.
  9. S. S. Bender

S. S. Bender Member

Of all the Strymon products I've tried, the Flint is my favorite. If you like the sounds and the price point, just be sure to read the product literature closely, to determine if you can live with the limitations of choice regarding the use of favorite or expression pedal mode.

10. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

Don't own it, but may someday. One thing I don't like about it, and it's not limited to the Flint, is if you engage the modulation, no matter how subtle or where your knobs are at, you now have 0 analog signal going through, it is now all digitally processed.

However, with modulation off, analog mix of reverb portion is still analog.

11. SteveAlysis

SteveAlysis Member

I'm not a snob by any means.... I listen to everything from Luther Vandross, to avant-garde black metal.... the Flint can do studio prestine verbs and trem, or dark, gritty verbs and trem.... that's why I keep it.

12. GA20T

GA20T Member

I loved the '61 Harmonic model, but the rest left me cold as far as sound & feel. The $150 SA Vertigo has replaced mine and I've been much happier with its versatility and sound overall.

I had high hopes for the reverbs, but I honestly don't miss them at all. Grain of salt: I've yet to find reverb in a pedal that doesn't sound cheesy & fake to me, especially next to the real thing. Depends how you use it and what you like though. Grain of salt taken, it could be the best pedal reverb solution on the market & I wouldn't know (or care, apparently, given what I've heard).

13. HiddenAgenda

HiddenAgenda Member

It's cool, I justified the cost because it's a two in one. I could live with only the Polara though.

14. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

Works like a charm and it's very versatile having it all in that small package but the tones just miss the mark for what I'm after on my studio board. The verb is good (used the 70's plate) but the tremolo tones just didn't have depth of an analog circuit. I've owned it twice btw. I'd love to have it work out though due to the form factor.

15. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

It's alright. My friend's sounds good onstage.

16. Reg18

Reg18 Member

This is the reason I sold my first Flint, however second time around I figured out if I hit the favourite switch (which is set for a massive 80s atmosphere sound) instead of switching it off again which cuts it dead I turn off the foot switch on the pedal which lets it decay out naturally (pedal has to be set to have trails) and once the decay is almost gone I just hit the foot switch again and it goes back to what you had set on the pedal!
    It's not entirely straight forward but it works just fine for me.

questtone likes this.
  17. mattlee0037

mattlee0037 Member

Yeah I've heard about this workaround (after I traded it) but I don't think it works exactly how I would want to use it. My thing is I might have a favorite with 100% wet mix and like 15 seconds of decay and immediately have to switch to a setting at like 50% mix and a few seconds decay which I don't believe you can do without losing the tails. The workaround definitely does work for some stuff though which is nice.

18. doctor_capleson

doctor_capleson Member

It does what it does well enough. It's just that I have a hard time getting excited about what it does.

Footbutt and SI like this.
  19. tochiro

tochiro Member

I had the Flint and sold it. It sounds ok but too expensive for what it is. I much prefer to have separate reverb and trem pedals because they sound better (Neunaber Wet + Supa-trem1) and I can put them in different places in my pedal chain.

7thString likes this.
  20. 7thString

7thString Member

I think the flint is great in minimalist rigs, but if you're not trying to save space there are better trems IMO. The joyo is a sleeper that sounds really nice.