Who DOESN'T like the Strymon Flint?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sleejay80, Dec 26, 2016.

1. dB

dB Member

I had one for a while. Loved the trem...I wish they would sell just the trem in a stand alone pedal. The reverb is good enough unless you simultaneously own some other quality reverb pedals and A/B them. In my case, I was on a reverb bender at the time and owned a Wet, Context, and Supermoon. They all sounded so much better than the Flint, to me.

Sold them all, except for the Wet.

2. nkt275

nkt275 Member

Great pedal, love mine to bits. Especially the 80's hall, and the harmonic tremolo. Two stellar sounds right there. The spring reverb is not it's biggest strength, but then again: I've yet to find a digital spring reverb that blows me away.

3. crazyneddie

crazyneddie Member

Hey team, I find the Flint to be a pretty great sounding pedal. I use it in the loop of a Power Station for reverb with my Marshall bluebreaker. I use the 70's plate setting and it's GREAT reverb for a loud dirty amp run that way. I also love the harmonic tremolo, it's incredible. I have vintage Fenders with beautiful trem but that harmonic trem is really great.
    I find it a touch sterile but like other posters I have never heard a reverb pedal that sounded real to me. Some sound warmer than others but they all sound a little icey to me. The Flint was the best one I had tried so I bought it.
    My problem with mine is that it seems like the board is coming loose inside the pedal. When I plug in andunplg the jacks I feel movement, so I do expect it to break at some point.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    nkt275 likes this.
  4. saltbird

saltbird Member

The 80's hall reverb is actually my least favorite while I use the spring and plate all the time. The hall has a lot of low end resonance which I imagine plenty of folks really dig, but I like keeping my low end minimal and tight especially in band settings. The spring has a mostly midsy character and the plate is best for high end shimmer

The Flint is the one pedal I own that I can confidently say I won't ever get rid of. From my perspective it was well worth the money. I think you won't have any regrets. When last in the chain it really sounds like it's part of the amp.

Really the only part of it I don't care for or use is the photocell tremolo. Everything else virtually sounds good at any setting.

Uncle Pecos likes this.
  5. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

So did I!

Takk and BerkeleyJones like this.
  6. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

I had one, and thought it sounded pretty good, but I just didn't bond with it. Sold it and got a Slate V2 w/ExP and a Strymon BigSky.

7. scolfax

scolfax Member

One of my favorite pedals, and I always called it a keeper. Only reason it wasn't in the end is that I went all-in on a Helix.

Whiskey N Beans, Windup 43 and nkt275 like this.
  8. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

Took me too long to get a Flint, been on my radar since it came out. I'm one for three with Strymon pedals, but Flint is the one. The trems are fantastic, and (considering I like a darker plate sound) the reverb is great also. Very fairly priced for three trems and three reverbs, saves board space, looks cool...pretty win-win across the board, for me.

9. BerkeleyJones

BerkeleyJones Supporting Member

Precisely the BOSS combo I have as well, and for $150 used overall they are stellar. I was on the hunt for a flint after playing a friends, but then after acquiring (and finally gigging) the RV-6, it is more versatile imho. I have not played the flint in a band context so I can't speak to it there.

Both great options though (flint vs 2 BOSS pedals). But the the RV-6/TR-2 combo has my search over when using amps without trem/verb, hands down .

Takk likes this.
  10. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member

11. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

Best verbs I've ever tried in stompbox form, and I've had a few good ones. The trems are great and icing on the cake, it's extremely popular for good reason and has been for years- no hype here.

12. tangleweird

tangleweird Member

funny a lot of people say they dont like the spring reverb, yet valhalla dsp (maker of some of the finest verb plugs around) said its his favorite spring reverb in pedal format. ymmv. i love my flint, dont think ill ever want for another verb or trem. but im a simple man.

13. sleejay80

sleejay80 Member

OP here. Thanks everyone for their insight.

Although, you guys did TERRIBLE. MISERABLE job convincing me out of it ;)

Looks like I'm getting a belated Christmas present for myself. Thanks, guys!

14. nkt275

nkt275 Member

That's great, mate. I think you're going to like it a lot. Cheers.

15. Kennyscrown

Kennyscrown Member

I'm a fan, and although I sold mine, I would get another if one popped up at the right price. Downsides for me were:

- trems weren't stereo (I.e. didn't pan) which I wanted.

- couldn't quite get the speed dialled in as I would want.

Completely loved the the reverb though, on all settings. And the trems did sound nice. Sorry, I'm not helping am I?!

I wouldn't agree with this, the 70s plate was about my favourite reverb with dirt out of Blue Sky, Flint and Wet.

Interesting, I also got a Wet with EXP when I sold my Flint. I already have a Slate v1 so now I use the trem on the Wet, with the reverb (set as Wet reboot) from the Slate. I generally like this combination except for:

1 Spring sound from Neunaber is pretty poor, and completely outshone by the Flint.

2 I can't get it do a really choppy trem that completely cuts out the sound in the 'down' phase if you know what I mean. I think
    This is because of the way the Neunaber pedals do dry/through processing, which you don't notice in other effects.

How do you find the trem on the Slate? Do you use it?

16. Bucksears

Bucksears Supporting Member

Think Strymon will ever do single pedals?
    i.e. a single reverb with no favorite footswitch in a smaller package/lesser toggles? They could sell their Plate Shimmer or 80's Hall all by itself and folks would grab them up.

17. 1224 Lee

1224 Lee Member

I don't want to like it. Does that count?

(Yes I can't afford one..)

18. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

I don't really use trem very much. That was one of the reasons I sold the Flint. I never use the trem algo on my Slate.

19. Jess 1971

Jess 1971 Supporting Member

For me the Flint was a no-brainer, as it's two effects I really like and use often but in one pedal. I wish the reverb could get a bit more extreme like on the Blue Sky, but that's not really what it's about. I feel like the Flint, especially if used in the effects loop, can give any amp the same or better quality reverb and trem that you'd find in a nice Fender. Great pedal for gigging musicians.

That said, on my main (larger) pedalboard that I use more for recording, I have dedicated reverb (Blue Sky) and tremolo (Suhr Jack Rabbit) pedals.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    scolfax likes this.
  20. Abandoned

Abandoned Supporting Member