1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Who DOESN'T like the Strymon Flint?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sleejay80, Dec 26, 2016.

1. bdm

bdm Supporting Member

Embarrassingly I’ve bought and sold this pedal several times now.

This last time I thought I’d “simplify” but almost immediately missed it once it was off my board.

Lesson learned: just stop selling pedals.

2. Uncle Pecos

Uncle Pecos Supporting Member

Have you tried turning on analog bypass with trails by holding down the Reverb footswitch when turning the pedal on? Sorry I can't give you more as I don't use the external switch.

3. Uncle Pecos

Uncle Pecos Supporting Member

I'm curious to know how it works out for you!

4. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

It’s a bad fit for me. I like tremolo up front, but reverbs in the loop. The terms are great, but the reverbs are underwhelming. With a quality rack reverb, I’ve grown accustomed to a lot of control and use predelay, ducking, high and low pass filtering and a broader selection of algorithms, modulation etc. so the Flint, though it’s a hell of a step up from spring, isn’t the best answer for me.

5. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

It’s good. I’ve opted for a Joyo Tremelo and a Topanga though.
    Digital Tremelo creeps me out

SI likes this.
  6. jaymeister

jaymeister Supporting Member

I’ve debated getting one from a real estate conservation perspective, but I have a Fulltone ST-2 and a stereo WET...very hard to give them up.

Kennyscrown likes this.
  7. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

If you can’t fit two pedals it’s fine. If you have the room and power supply space, there are better trems and reverbs.

ThVH and SI like this.
  8. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Member

I just sold a Flint to fund a nice recording preamp.....I LOVED the 63 Harmonic Trem...hated the opto....bias was ok, but not as good as the real thing..

Reverbs were ok.

I just bought a Lovepedal HSR3 and love it compared to the Flint. I also dig the simple verb on the Keeley Memphis Sun better too.

It just wasn’t worth it to have an expensive pedal just for the Harmonic Trem...though it was that awesome...

9. White Buffalo

White Buffalo Supporting Member

I'm sort of uncertain about what I think of the Flint. I'm on my third one and won't be selling this particular one as it was a birthday present from a friend.
    I dig the 80's mode for sure, even 70's mode and the harmonic trem, but have my Neunaber WET which I prefer for reverbs and my Supa Trem 2 which I prefer for trem (though it doesn't do the harmonic/vibey thing).
    It's definitely a great tool in a small size for when board real estate is at a premium and does a more than good enough job at the sounds it's meant to emulate.

jaymeister likes this.
  10. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

Owned 2. They just weren't "special" to me, sound-wise, and I really wanted them to be.
    Long-time El Cap user.
    Much happier with other pedals, and preferred the Blue Sky to the Flint, for just 'verb.

Cheers

11. bdm

bdm Supporting Member

Yeah, that’s kind of been my beef with Strymon stuff in the past. They sound good. Real good. But not like mind blowing or life changing. So I always think I’ll get something different and then end up realizing I’d just gotten used to the Flint. It’s kind of utilitarian but not particularly inspirational.

The El Cap left me really underwhelmed. I found the wealth of options and hidden features distracting and eventually annoying. I tend to want a pedal to just do a thing and do it well and be done with it.

12. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

I basically skip the hidden features on the El Cap. I turn the reverb off, and don't mess with crinkle, hi-pass, or whatever else. Anything related to the aging is set and forget. Tap tempo is almost never used in my use. Multi-head settings sounds decent, but I use them next to never for gigs/rehearsals.
    At that point it just becomes a delay, one that can do very long times if need be, and one that has a footswitch for endless repeats when I hold it down.
    I do use the looper for one song in our set.
    Have always been happy with it as is. I'm not a tweaker at heart, and that's kept me from buying a Timeline.

Cheers

JackButler likes this.
  13. crazyneddie

crazyneddie Member

Hi team, sold my Flint. I dumped the Bluesbreaker, too friggin heavy and brash. Never could cotton to the Flint in front of a nice amp. I bought a Supro Dual Tone and I was using it with my LP for about the sickest classic rock tone ever. Except the Flint soaks up picking dynamics. Really seems to clip. Tremelo was beautiful through.
    Btw I replaced my Bluesbreaker and my 67 Super Reverb with a 66 Vibrolux and that's been working out very well. Sweeeeet breakup.

14. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

I like the Flint and use my RV-6 after it. I put the El cap the Supra Trem in front of it.

15. crazyneddie

crazyneddie Member

Are they all on at the same time?

16. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

I loved the trem side, but was not thrilled with the verb. Always seemed like I couldn't get the mix right... there was either not enough or too much no matter how I tweaked it. I also found the verb kind of dark with my rig. Went back to using my Neunaber Wet.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  17. SI

SI Member

Pretty much sums up my experience with the flint. Using a diamond trem and ghost echo now instead

18. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

If you have a pedal board you don't turn everything on at the same time. RV6 is modulation, The Flint for 80's reverb and harmonic trem. The El cap for tap delay and The Supra is for two speeds of swampy blues.

19. Crimson Queen

Crimson Queen Member

Same for me. Also, the plate was not airy enough (tone and predelay). I went to a Talisman and an Empress Trem2.

20. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

Recently got a bigger board and an amp with reverb, so I took the Flint off and put the Diamond trem back on. I do miss the harmonic trem, but that's about it..