Who DOESN'T like the Strymon Flint?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sleejay80, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Ben Sp

Ben Sp Member

I like the sound, but mine is frustratingly lacking as a dependable gigging pedal.

It forgets it's secondary settings (like effect order) all the time- better hope you have the manual handy or remember how to reset them.

About 20% of the time I try to engage/disengage the pedal, it doesn't respond. Engaging both footswitches at once fails even more often.

I hear a fraction-of-a-second gap in the signal when I engage/disengage the effect. Just enough to annoy you but not quite a dealbreaker. I've heard this in demo clips, like GMD's.

Build quality isn't great- footswitch washers come loose a lot. Box is flimsy too.

There must be something wrong with mine, as I've been told, but it works marginally well enough that I haven't gotten around to the futzing around with shipping it to Strymon, etc. I guess I think that something so expensive should just work... makes me hate digital pedals, this thing.

Whew

2. Malcolmallan

Malcolmallan Member

I love mine.... best spring reverb setting... my hof is a decent reverb pedal but in the spring sett8ng sounds like a toy compared to the flint..

Windup 43 likes this.
  3. inaplacefaraway

inaplacefaraway Supporting Member

I've sold and repurchased it. Now I'm thinking about something else. I really wish the reverb had 3 different spring settings instead of 70s and 80s. It would of been cool to have the reverb to be a didicated spring reverb. 50s being high drip lots of artifacts can be overdriven like an outboard unit, 60's stock Flint with a 2 spring pan like fender combos, 70's be a 3 spring pan like ?? The tremolo settings are cool but I wish in the 2nd hidden settings you could adjust the speeds from stock. To crazy fast and/or super slow.
    This would be awesome and It would make me buy the blue sky for modern verb sounds.

MoonshineMan likes this.
  4. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

I tend to agree. For something that seems to be going after a BF Fender thing with reverb and tremolo together, I don’t get why they didn’t do an outboard tank, Deluxe and Twin reverbs and maybe vibro champ, BF Princeton and harmonic Trem.
    It think they tried to make it too versatile and kinda watered it down.
    Like I said a ways upthread, it was ok, but it could/should have been more.
    I think the Supro Trem is a better harmonic Trem, personally. And I think the topanga is a better reverb. If they were in the same enclosure, it would be pretty sweet. I keep them together in the chain anyway.
    Oh well. I’m all set, anyway.

inaplacefaraway and GA20T like this.
  5. AllmanFan

AllmanFan Silver Supporting Member

I hated it. I think mainly because the Flint trem would drive my preamp too hard and cause it to clip at the peaks. Also the reverb just seemed average...and I use a GFS Retro Verb in comparison so that tells you something. Probably the quickest pedal flip I ever had.

6. StickyWicket520

StickyWicket520 Member

Are you guys messing with us? You do know that Source audio just released this exact pedal today right? 3 spring options including outboard tank spring as well as optical, bias, and harmonic trem.

7. Z Tone

Z Tone Member

I have had it twice. I think it is just ok but not great. Just my opinion but I think there is a better reverb out there.

8. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

I thought we were talking about the Strymon?? I know very little about Source Audio, except for “they’re one of the pedal makers on TGP”, but i applaud them for stepping up. Are they the Ventris/Nemisis people from the P&W gear thread? I’m sure they’re fine builders, but I’m done shopping for pedals.

9. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

To me, reverb is an essential.... but not a crucial essential. If that makes any sense.

I like to have some space in my sound, but I don’t normally want to sound like I’m in an entirely different room than the rest of the band. Consequently, a standard reverb pedal is all I need. And now with the HoF2 having three user-configurable presets available, I see no need for a huge outlay for a reverb pedal.

But for those who see reverb as more than that, the strymon looks great.

MoonshineMan likes this.
  10. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

I hear you. For me, reverb is an effect, to be used for surf or Bakersfield country-type stuff.
    Twangy spring is the only way i really like it, and not subtle. I guess Ryan Adams uses it pretty well, also.
    I’m not into ambient stuff, though. Some people are, and thats fine.

inaplacefaraway likes this.
  11. StickyWicket520

StickyWicket520 Member

Same company.

I'm not trying to convince you to buy it I was just surprised at the coincidenceof two people wishing the Flint had 3 spring options on the exact same day that another company dropped that exact product.
    :beer

MoonshineMan and inaplacefaraway like this.
  12. inaplacefaraway

What!!!! Gotta check it out!

GA20T and StickyWicket520 like this.
  13. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

Gotcha. I’m basically done buying pedals, so i don’t even know why i still haunt these halls anymore. I don’t follow pedal makers or news about them.
    It’s very cool that someone released the pedal i described. I always thought it was a no-brainer. If they were to combine it with a BFDR AiaB OD, that could be pretty dope, but at that point, just buy the damn amp, right? :)
    I’ll say this: if Source Audio is thinking the same as me, they better get their heads checked, because I’m pretty dumm, by most accounts.

14. inaplacefaraway

There are hidden secondary controls to adjust the volume boost/cut of each effect. A very cool feature to prevent or apply exactly what happened to you. I use it to boost the Tremolo when engaged and yes it can boverdrive a tube amp really nice.

15. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Silver Supporting Member

I'm getting the Source True Spring today. Your first complaint will be that i isn't Flint sized with more knobs and another footswitch.
    But I am not going to complain about it until I get my head around it's presets/programming etc.
    From the DEMOES, the True Spring has a ton more character (and LOTS of control) than the Flint.

Plus...it has actual presets that you can edit from a computer or phone for extra detail.
    3 presets of Trem/Verb is about all I need for general use

fakeox likes this.
  16. PB+J

PB+J Silver Supporting Member

I loved the trem side, did not like the reverb side. I'm fussy about verb, I think, and want something where it's barely happening but still adding depth. Like a studio verb. I could never get that with the flint (or most reverbs). The reverbs were excellent sounding, but I could never get them to sit right. The only verb pedal that works for me is the Catalinbread talisman. I still miss the trem in the Flint

17. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

I've had almost all the Strymon pedals at one time, and sold them all and only kept the Flint and el cap.

18. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

I originally bought one about 5 years ago. Returned it two days later, thought it sounded dull and sterile. I had sold a Hall of Fame to help purchase it, and ended up buying the HoF back. Last year I was looking for a reverb pedal again, and after looking around I saw pretty much all of my favorite guitarists were using it, so I thought I'd try it again, worst case I return it. Loved it right away, not sure what they changed, but the reverbs and trem sound so good now! I bought the mini favorite switch, and mainly use a 60's reverb, but have a 80's preset that I really like. I use it for Frisell and Jeff Buckley styles.

edit: My only con is that when you set the secondary functions it's tough to remember where they are set. Would be nice to have knobs for those.

19. SI

SI Member

aaaaand now im back to using the flint...:anon

jamester, MeisterD and Kelly like this.