1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Who else gets sidetracked by gear?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by guitarfish, Feb 2, 2008.

1. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

Every time I stray to far from the "my thing", I end up regretting it. Seems I'm most happy with a solid body guitar, a tube amp with some nice reverb/gain, and maybe a little wah pedal once in a while.

Yet I go through this cycle where I think I'm "bored", so I talk myself into an effects gadget - I've tried several of them. I always end up thinking "nice toy...why did I buy this thing?", and I return it/sell it before you know it. And I tell myself I won't do that again. Messing around with these gadgets ends up being a waste of time, and I'm not practicing and progressing as a player.

I've done the same thing with guitars. I've got a couple Strats, a Tele, and an LP - a nice mix, I can play any of them and they feel good. Then I thought I had to have a semihollow, and I hardly touch it. Then I got a Gretsch hollowbody with a Bigsby - a great guitar by all accounts - and after a couple months, I'm now realizing it's not my thing either.

Instead of focusing on "my thing" and excelling at it, I keep distracting myself with cool gear that isn't practical for me. Instead of making progress, I end up getting sidetracked. This is a downside of GAS I think.

Anyone else experience this?

2. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

Heck yeah.

I think we look for something new and inspiring to get us out of a rut. A new tone or feel sends you to where "it" wants to go. But I think it can also be like an expensive cheap fix, where a little more self-discipline (actual practice) could get us out of a rut a whole lot better.

3. robbph37

robbph37 Member

Oh Yes! I just bought an Egnater M4 preamp. I wanted a few effects. The next thing I know instead of a simple delay and reverb pedal I have a G-system that is way too much and killed my tone. I should have known better. Sold it 2 days after it arrived. Now I have decided I want to buy another guitar so I dont take my Driskills to every gig. I went from the $500 range to now looking at $4000 guitars again. I guess its the thrill of the hunt! Whats out there that I may want? For me its something to do at times when I am bored. Oh and we all know the excitement we get from waiting on UPS to deliver the new toy.

4. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Trying New things is fun. But Basically Its a 6L6 Amp with reverb, and a Tele. Maybe my original TS9 and some Wah like you said.

But I love to try different pedals. Very rarely do they stick around so I try to buy them used so I can flip them in a few months.

Alot cheaper then going through Guitars thats for sure!

5. DrBob

DrBob Member

I think that by virtue of being a contributor to this forum that all of us are prone to gear obsession to some degree or other.

I often think that if I spent as much time playing the damn things as I do trawling ebay listings and forum threads on new guitars etc then I might actually become a half decent guitarist.

I've actually got to the point now where half the time I lose interest in a piece of kit the moment I pull the trigger. Before I even get it into hands and play with the damn thing.

At the end of the day my 'Go To' rig remains basically the same. 2 Music Man guitars (Axis, Albert Lee) 3-4 pedals (Morley Wah, Carl Martin Delay, Compressor) all into my Rivera Clubster. It's just that I've got this constant whirlwind of 'Must Have' trinkets baubles and shiny things that charge in and out of my door with absurd regularity.

Oh well, the worst of it is that even though I know that this is the case I bet I don't stop it.....:worried

6. scottlaned

scottlaned Member

I went to a HB guitar because single coils couldn't get the lead tone I wanted. Now I'm building a strat because I can't get those single coil tones out of my artinger. My thought process every time is "ok this is where I stop," but there are always new combinations of things to try.

I think it is fun, and in hindsight, if you try to make it the last time every time, you save the GAS for when it is really desired and take the time to make the right decision.

7. showofhands

showofhands Member

I don't think I'm an experienced enough player to really know what my "thing" is. Having a wide range of musical tastes and styles I want to try doesn't help either.

I have found, however, that my fascination with gear-related specs and information has me preoccupied to the extent that my playing is nowhere near what it could/should be because I don't play enough. I'd rather be learning about gear than actually using it - that's my problem.

I think that may change now, though, because I'm finally in a financial position to try out the gear that was not an option for me before (i.e. anything over $500). I don't have to research my butt off to find out how I can get maximum quality from a minimal investment (although I suppose that's a good habit to be in anyway).

It's no fun listening to recordings of yourself five years ago and realizing your skills have deteriorated substantially because you've been too busy thinking about body woods and scale lengths and tone stacks and speaker efficiencies to do much practicing.

8. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

9. edward

edward Supporting Member

LOL!!! Yeah, the question really is "how often"!! Like you, it seems that every so often I have to slap myself out of it, like a drunk reaching for a beer as his buddy smacks his hand. Yeah, it's a disease, GAS ...but it could always be worse ;)

Edward

10. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

LOL!

I've also settled down with two EBMM guitars, both Silhouette Specials, a couple 6L6 amps, and a sweet sounding modded TS9.

No doubt I'll still squeeze the occasional trigger on something I just gotta have, and that 90% of it will be headed back out the door within weeks or at best months. Waddiagonnado?

11. theflyingturtle

theflyingturtle Member

It's the gear page! A better question would be, who here doesn't get distracted by gear? If you listen real hard you can hear crickets chirping.

12. Randaddy

Randaddy Member

I agree guitarfish.

I went through a year (most of 2007) where I bought lots of different pedals and a few guitars and amps searching for "my thing". It was fun but I actually wanted to find it.

Well, I did! I found the sound I was looking for with a Gibson SG Special Faded, A ProCo RAT, and an Epiphone Blues Custom 30 or Fender Blues Junior sent through the Custom 30 cab... a very simple setup.

Now I spend my time trying to find my playing style. It's a whole new focus and I believe I'm becoming a better musician quickly. I suppose it's a matter of going through different phases, the problem being that it's easy to get stuck in the "searching for the sound" phase.

13. Randaddy

Randaddy Member

"It's the gear page! A better question would be, who here doesn't get distracted by gear? If you listen real hard you can hear crickets chirping."

That's hilarious, theflyingturtle! :roll

Randaddy

14. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I no longer get side-tracked. I have the gear I need to get the sound I need and I'm done... till something breaks. Here's what I do. I don't buy a new gadget to experiment. I get a new gadget because I NEED it for something.

But... no new gadgets (I got my old Bassman head back and a 410 cabinet to replace the one I sold, though) for a while. I tried "upgrading from my ToneLab to a Pod X3 Live (I LOVED my old Pod 2.0) but hated it so much I sent it back and kept the ToneLab.

I focus WAY more on the music I'm playing than what I'm playing through.

15. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

It can be just like sex in a relationship.

If sex (Gear) is good, than it's 10% of the relationship.

If sex (Gear) is BAD, it's 90% of the relationship.

Sometimes I think I'm heading toward the 'Clapton revelation' during the Cream reunion, where he tried using the Marshalls at rehearsal, and even though it was his sound for a long time, it no longer is, and he was uncomfortable w/ the Marshall. So he switched back to 'familiar territory' and used the Tweed Twin.

Same with me. I was a Marshall guy when I was younger. Then my musical career path sent me more toward being an accompanist than a soloist. The better I became at that and the more work I got, the less I found use for the Marshally sound. After 25 years, even though in my heart I LOVE that sound, I've been using a Tone King for the last 5 years mostly, and I find that the Tone King is comfortable now and the Marshall less so. I sorta hope that changes ...

I bought a G-Major 3 years ago, feeling that I needed to have access to more modern sounds. I've got about 4 hours on the thing - I'm not crazy about the way it sounds, but even more, I find I don't need those sounds much anyhow. In some ways I sorta hope that changes too.

Still, I try to break things up a bit gear wise - good for the soul to strive, even if it's out of my comfort zone. It's also a distraction - I'd be better off spending the time practicing. New stuff can be really fun and interesting and useful - it can also distract.

Thanks, Dana O.

16. rosscoep

rosscoep Member

See member list.

17. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I have the guitars and amps that get me the sound I like when I listen to great music that I like. Yet I obsess about Les Paul Customs. I mean really obsess! When I play them, they sound good but feel funny. Yet I still want one in the worst way.

18. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I don't think I get sidetracked...I still do my practice routine. But I am really lusting for a 5e3 amp all the time. Can't justify it though, cuz I really have no use for it. The lust remains...

19. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

Honestly one of the biggest impovements I've made to improve my tone is lots of playing and practicing....thats the secret....

20. devinb

devinb Member

So tell me about this Gretsch...is it in the emporium yet?