Who else has experienced their Mesa Boogie sounding different without touching a thing ?

Telejester

I've owned a mark series boogie and if course I was aware of comments about constant knob twiddling on boogie amps due to them sounding different every time you plugged into them. I thought this reputation was bull$hit and I bought the boogie. How wrong I was and I ended up selling the boogie as I spent more time twiddling knobs than enjoying it. Who else on tgp has experienced this ?

StummerJoe

Platinum Supporting Member
Not just with Boogie, but every single amp I have ever owned. Can sound perfect the night before, and like dookie the next day. Tube gremlins.:eeks

Regarding your Boogie, regardless of model you bought, I can not stress enough how helpful it is to read their extremely informative and helpful user manual. They include useful settings for starting off points, and once you learn how the controls work it actually becomes intuitive. I can't count the number of folks that have returned a perfectly wonderful Boogie because they didn't bother with the manual. A real shame for them. You can't expect a Boogie to respond with controls the same way a Marshal or Fender does. It's a very different and very interactive animal.

If you bought used and the manual isn't included, Mesa Boogie has the manuals on their website, for future reference if you ever decide to give it a second chance.

Edit : I own a Boogie Fillmore 50 and I am VERY happy with it.

Last edited:

guitarvc

I had that experience with a Mark IV. Not at all with the other amps I have had from them. Reading the manual is very helpful, as the EQ does not behave like a Fender or Marshall.

rockon1

Ive noticed this on lots of amps. I usually chalk it up to me but always try to remember to turn my amp fully on (not standby) for 15-20 minutes before I play.

I had that issue with the Stiletto Ace combo but not any others. One day it sounded fine and the next like a beehive. Had enough after a few months and sold it. Right now I have a Mark V 35 and 90 and Fillmore 50. All good.

Dharmajester

There is usually a subtle difference from day to day with amps. Current fluctuations, moisture content in the air etc. However I have to agree that it can be more extreme with early Mark Series Mesa Boogies. I had a Mark 2 way back in the early 80's which I was using in the studio at the time. The sound would be radically different from one day to the next despite no changes being made to the controls. Highly frustrating when you can listen to a playback from the night before yet be met with a very different sound coming from your amp.

CanserDYI

Are you moving rooms? I find my settings drastically change from my bedroom to my living room.

Your mood also affects how you percieve tones, so does weather/heat/cold wetness in the air etc... I also know that mesa Pots are very very very sensitive, and wondering if changes in temperature might move the pot slightly.

StummerJoe

Are you moving rooms? I find my settings drastically change from my bedroom to my living room.

Your mood also affects how you percieve tones, so does weather/heat/cold wetness in the air etc... I also know that mesa Pots are very very very sensitive, and wondering if changes in temperature might move the pot slightly.
I doubt the temperature would actually "move" the pot, but weather can be a factor - high/low pressure, higher humidity, low humidity, etc...I also agree with mood.
And obviously moving rooms would have a HUGE impact. I've noticed a difference between an empty bar and a bar full of people. The size of the room didn't change, but the volume of air is certainly smaller with all those bodies taking up space, plus they create all new angle for the sound to bounce off of...plus the added noise.

Waxhead

I've owned a mark series boogie and if course I was aware of comments about constant knob twiddling on boogie amps due to them sounding different every time you plugged into them. I thought this reputation was bull$hit and I bought the boogie. How wrong I was and I ended up selling the boogie as I spent more time twiddling knobs than enjoying it. Who else on tgp has experienced this ?
Never - I own 2 MBs and have played/gigged many others over 20 yrs.
And never heard anyone else mention it either - until you.
Mine are very easy amps to dial in and I do minimal tweaking.
Non issue imo and there is no MB reputation on this :p

De Batz

Realistically, the MKI certainly has a very similar tone network to something like an AB763 Fender. That means, in some crucial way, that it does respond the same. You're just doing something quite different with it, namely stacking a load of gain after it for preamp overdrive. So the Fender feels like it has a predictable response, because not much goes on in terms of distortion after the tone controls, whereas with a Boogie, plenty does happen after the tone controls.

Your average classic Marshall has tone controls which do not so much, because they appear much later in the circuit, and do less to shape the sound.

Once I understood this, I started to recognise those characteristics in amps that I tried out, and could make much more sense of why the controls do what they do. It's worth a bit of research, because there's very little totally new in any preamp circuit, and you can get good info on the likely behaviour of the circuit from the circuit itself.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
No big changes on my JP-2C. If anything, they way I hear things changes daily. The amp consistently delivers the goods day in and day out for me.

Captainruss

My V:35 sounds different nearly every day I turn it on, but not drastically different. Sometimes though it’s as if a gnome came through and messed with all the settings I never change and I have to fiddle a bit to get it where I like it.

My MXR Phase 100 pedal does the same thing.

Nickstrtcstr

Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger
I've never had them sound great one day and lousy the next. I have heard differences but, nothing that extreme.

However, this is common with all tube amps. When your voltage fluctuates coming into the house, it affects the tone.

A power conditioner will eliminate that problem.

Last edited:

CanserDYI

I doubt the temperature would actually "move" the pot, but weather can be a factor - high/low pressure, higher humidity, low humidity, etc...I also agree with mood.
And obviously moving rooms would have a HUGE impact. I've noticed a difference between an empty bar and a bar full of people. The size of the room didn't change, but the volume of air is certainly smaller with all those bodies taking up space, plus they create all new angle for the sound to bounce off of...plus the added noise.
I also noticed if i'm stuffed up or sick i obviously can't hear the high end as much which makes me overcompensate (I constantly get sinus/ear infections) and my band has actually mentioned "You hearing okay today?" lol

StummerJoe

I also noticed if i'm stuffed up or sick i obviously can't hear the high end as much which makes me overcompensate (I constantly get sinus/ear infections) and my band has actually mentioned "You hearing okay today?" lol
I feel your pain, bro. I'm also prone to ear infections. It sucks. As soon as I feel one coming on it's drop everything and to the doctor for antibiotics. Then the doctor says "well, it doesn't look too inflamed or angry..." and then I say, "yeah, not yet, that's why I'm here!"
Why wait till it feels like a molten spike headed to your brain, right?
At 47, I also have tinnitus, and strangely, my audio gram shows I've lost a bit of my midrange, but not low or high end, which is unusual. BONUS : The midrange is where women's voices are usually located so I have a rock solid REASON, not an excuse for not hearing the wife! I love turning a negative into a positive! :aok

BADHAK

I had a Mesa LSS that was a torture device. Without touching the controls it would change from day to day, room to room, would require vastly different settings going from guitar to guitar, and even switching from bridge to neck pickup on the same guitar presented challenges. Never again.

StummerJoe

I had a Mesa LSS that was a torture device. Without touching the controls it would change from day to day, room to room, would require vastly different settings going from guitar to guitar, and even switching from bridge to neck pickup on the same guitar presented challenges. Never again.
Sorry, I'm confused...you expect an amp to sound the same in different rooms, with different guitars, AND different pickup settings?
Did you ever find an amp to be consistent with all those variables? If you did I want to know what it is so I can get one! No sarcasm. :beer

Trending Topics