Who else has given up the heavy string ghost

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by majorledhead, Mar 24, 2020.

1. misterg71

misterg71 The premier Hack Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I’ve never really gotten into the whole heavy gauge thing. I tried 11s’ once and didn’t like them. Don’t like 9s’ either. 10-46 is good for me.

LoadedGoat likes this.
  2. Slapshot1977

Slapshot1977 Member

9s on 25.5 scale
    10s on 24.75 scale
    12s on acoustic

sedawkgrep likes this.
  3. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Member

8s on a short scale strat
    9s on PRS semi hollow & the Pink Peril at present
    10s on the short scale acoustic

4. IanRubbish

IanRubbish Member

I use mostly 10’s. I like 9-46 on the Silver Sky and Strats. I have a PRS tuned to A# and that one has 12-60 on it. If you go down in tuning like that you need to upsize otherwise it will sound like ****. Its true that bigger strings don’t automatically equal better tone, but if you do not use bigger strings in some cases it will definitely sound like ****.

HoneyNut and Emigre like this.
  5. ahab

ahab Member

I have put .10-.46 on every guitar I have owned for the past 30 (gasp!) years; I never liked the feel of .9s or .11s.

avalonpb, Emigre and Route67 like this.
  6. imonabuss

imonabuss Supporting Member

Was using 11s for a while and went down to 10's - it's better. Gonna try 9's. I'm doing a lot of country and multiple string bends to get steel sounds, and it's a bear on big strings on 25.5.

David Garner and Route67 like this.
  7. Harvester of Pain

Harvester of Pain Member

I used to play 11s on my Tele. But I quit music for about five years. When I picked up the guitar once more, I figured I'd start light just to build up the strength. I put 9s on but have found no desire to go heavier again. Especially since I discovered Fender Bullet strings - that extra mass on the ball end gives them real attack and punch! My last sentence notwithstanding, generally I find the "Bigger strings = bigger tone" argument is solved by a little more volume on the amp.

As with others here, it's more about feel for me. But feel effects the way I play, which in turn effects my tone. I'm more happy with my tone now than ever before. I especially love that when I do bends, I don't need to grip the neck anymore. Now I can keep my hand relaxed and let the weight of the guitar provide the downward pressure against my upward bends. Slowly but surely working toward that delicate touch I see in my favourite players.

As for acoustics, I think it's a slightly different physics at play. With electric guitars, the argument is often around a thicker string offering more mass to the magnetic field of the pickup. On acoustics, I think it is the higher tension of heavier strings which has more effect on getting that sound board shaking. (It's just my theory and I'm happy to be proven wrong:)). I find the guitar tells me which gauge it prefers. In general I find that bigger sound boards require more vibration (i.e., tension) to get them singing, but naturally bracing design plays a huge part in that...

EDIT: I had exceeded the requisite number of apostrophes by two.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    LoadedGoat and Route67 like this.
  8. UncleBubba79

UncleBubba79 Member

I haven't given up, but I have reasons!

1. Higher action/thicker strings make me slow down and focus on rhythm.
    2. I have mitts (size 13 ring) and I need a little feedback from my strings.

WordMan likes this.
  9. Zenyatta Mondatta

Zenyatta Mondatta Member

I use 12s because that works best for the music I like to play.

WordMan likes this.
  10. Evilution

Evilution Member

I have used 10-52 for more than 20 years, but i tune to C-drop and D standard on Gibson scale, started on Gibsons, but now use Dean V´s since 15 years.

Route67 likes this.
  11. Machew

Machew Member

I went to 10's on my strat with the idea it would strengthen my hands... but now I never play it. I think Ill just go back to 9s.

Route67 likes this.
  12. jwguitar

jwguitar Supporting Member

Not me I play fingerstyle jazz guitar. I actually use 14-56 flatwounds. To me those are the only strings for the style that I play.

13. rwe333

rwe333 Member

Always in standard tuning
    Had .011 sets my my Les Paul and G&L Legacy for decades, recently trying a .010 set on the G&L (25.5").
    Fun so far...

14. screamtone

screamtone Supporting Member

"I'm Rick Beato, and I approve this message."

gkelm and homeunit like this.
  15. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

Used 9s for a couple decades and moved up to 10s for the last couple , not changing anytime. Have tried different things here and there have 11s or 12s on my C# standard guitar.

16. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

Oo9’s for 50 years... never ever have had tone issues... or hand issues.....sometimes I’ll use 008’s if I’m real busy with the band

superstratjunky, Roe and HERSCHEL like this.
  17. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

I used 11’s because I loved SRV. Then went to 10’s and now use 9-46.

18. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

You guys don't need apostrophes.

The gauges aren't possessing anything.

;)

19. underwound

underwound Supporting Member

I’ve been using 10s for decades, but as I get older (63) I’m having some problems with hand and finger pain—both joints and fingertips. I’ve tried 9.5s recently on my Strats and Tele and love the feel, but I just can’t get used to them. To me they sound thinner–don’t speak with the same authority—and obviously don’t produce the same tension so my right hand attack is off and my bends are often going sharp. Maybe it’s just me and maybe I’d eventually get used to them, but I keep putting 10s back on and fighting the pain. maybe I’m just in that confusing indecisive period before acceptance. We’ll see.

superstratjunky and David Garner like this.
  20. 71strat

71strat Member

Started out with 10-38s on electric in 71.

I tried 13-58s, and did more damage to my frets in 3 months than I had in the previous 12. Also wore grooves into the fretboard.

Went back to 10-38s on both Strats, and Les Pauls.

Roe and Route67 like this.