Who else hates changing strings?

amstrtatnut

It's 5 minutes and I have a beer and listen to music......never ever found it to be a chore.
Video lesson? No way it takes me less than 20 minutes. You have locking tunes? My strat with locking tuners is faster but still longer than five minutes.

In fact...it takes me longer than five minutes to drink a beer.

amstrtatnut

Ive seen how BB king winds a string around the post in the middle of a song.

When I do that it always comes unravelled.

I have to change strings on my new les paul now.

hahahaha.

dwoverdrive

I enjoy it when its convenient for me haha. Seriously though, theres those guys own motorcycles or cars who constantly tinker with them just for the sake of doing so. My dad loves cleaning guns and maintaining them, and Im that way about guitars too.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
You have no idea what string changing is all about until you've tried to tackle a Rickenbacker 12 string :eek:. You practically need 3 hands and a couple hours to kill! Worth it for that unique sound though! Somehow, the writer of the Byrds song "Turn, Turn, Turn" must have known it would be played on a Rickenbacker 12 string. Gives the song a whole other meaning when you try to restring a Ric 12 ;).

rhinocaster

Silver Supporting Member
Video lesson? No way it takes me less than 20 minutes. You have locking tunes? My strat with locking tuners is faster but still longer than five minutes.

In fact...it takes me longer than five minutes to drink a beer.
This being TGP I knew that someone would call me on drinking a beer in 5 minutes. ;) didn't say I finished the beer in that time (though I'm sure I could).

String winder and split shaft tuners can be done in much less than 5 minutes if you're in a hurry...there's a video of a bench guy at one of the big acoustic builders stringing up and acoustic in almost no time at all.

10 minutes would be a loooong string change...I can't imagine taking 20 minutes to change strings on a 6 string, steel string guitar. Definitely worth youtubing lessons on the subject if it takes a long time to do...

I'm about to change strings now...I'll run a timer...

stratele

I enjoy changing strings and taking care loading the new strings.
Fresh strings feel and play great - what's not to like?
I also give the guitar a good clean at the same time.

rhinocaster

Silver Supporting Member
Done....took 5:50 tuned stretched and tuned....

If I'm taking my time and having a beer it's a 10 minute ordeal..;)

arthur rotfeld

Silver Supporting Member
I don't mind, but I put elixirs on everything, so some guitars are still doing great a couple of years later, others go a month or two easily.

Sean French

I enjoy changing strings. It's relaxing to me.
I buy two boxes at a time and change 'em fairly often.
When my stash is at three sets I get another couple boxes.

corn husk bag

I don't change strings very often. I use Snake Oil brand Vintage, last a long time. Guitar maintenance is just another enjoyable part of being a musician, right?

Kind Regards,
Steve

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
It's a guitar forum where people talk about guitars and guitar related subjects. We're not comparing to how they relate to the stresses of daily life or life changing events. :facepalm
:facepalm back to ya.

"Hate" is a strong word....

jlb32

I don't change strings very often. I use Snake Oil brand Vintage, last a long time. Guitar maintenance is just another enjoyable part of being a musician, right?

Kind Regards,
Steve
I actually like all guitar maintenance other than changing strings. Still do it when needed though. Set-ups, electronics, cleaning, etc... I don't mind at all.

I think my main issue with string changes is I usually don't have a comfortable place to do it, like a work bench, etc...

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
I actually like all guitar maintenance other than changing strings. Still do it when needed though. Set-ups, electronics, cleaning, etc... I don't mind at all.

I think my main issue with string changes is I usually don't have a comfortable place to do it, like a work bench, etc...
Now THAT makes more sense. I can easily agree that string changing is a huge pain in the ass if you don't have "the " place for it. Where do you do your setups and electronic work?

jonnytexas

Now THAT makes more sense. I can easily agree that string changing is a huge pain in the ass if you don't have "the " place for it. Where do you do your setups and electronic work?
On the couch so I can watch tv and keep a beer within reaching distance.

jlb32

Usually just where ever I can find a decent spot. Setups, soldering, etc... usually doesn't seem uncomfortable. It's actually enjoyable since I like tinkering, cleaning and working on things. For some reason string changes get me every time though.

Need to find a tall table or a different technique I guess.

hotrats73

Silver Supporting Member
Definitely my least favorite thing about playing guitar. Maybe it's my technique but it's just a pain.

Mine always turn out nicely when done but I definitely need to find a easier and quicker procedure.

nope! I love to change strings and clean my guitars.
usually is a Sunday afternoon activity.

Trending Topics