Who else here is a tone-snob on a budget?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by AstroStrat89, Oct 3, 2008.

1. AstroStrat89

AstroStrat89 Member

In a world of Aiken's, Budda's, Victoria's, Matchless, Two Rocks, and many fine amp builders around I am stuck in a world of Peaveys, Crates, and small Fenders.

Not looking for sympathy, just want to know I am not alone.

:AOK

2. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Marshall JTM-60 represent!
    Killer tone with a TS9 and an SG.
    Cheap and unreliable.

3. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

Well, we all have budgets...some are higher than others'!!!

Mike

4. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

my budget is practically nothing these days.

i've been gassing for a POG to use on a particular song we have for 6 months if that tells you anything.

5. edward

edward Supporting Member

BTDT. Sell the "non-essentials" ...the stuff you can't live without. Then save for "the one." Might take time, but there's gratification in the wait. :D

Edward

6. larimar

larimar Member

My "grab & go" amp is a PV Classic 30. No complaints here. Not really into those high end boutique amps. I could get into building amp kits though, which might put me in the snob category....possibly...maybe.

7. m@2

m@2 Member

in my experience, most trully great players can make even the most basic (cheap) amp sound pretty good

(i'm not one of those "great" players btw, i need all the help i can get!)

8. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Supporting Member

I have two tiers. I own a Matchless head as my top shelf amp, and then I have a single amp below that which suffices for my "budget" amp. Right now it happens to be a Traynor YCS50H, but I constantly rotate amps in the $600-$700 range. I may trade my Matchless amp for another high end amp, but the point is that I have no desire to drop another $2000+ on an amp ever again.

Don't underestimate the satisfaction of tone on a budget. I mean, a $50 bottle of wine damn well better taste good...but a truly kick ass $9 bottle of wine really hits the spot.

9. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

Right now it's a parts 'o caster--> Bad Monkey-->Planet Waves Tuner-->Peavey Valveking. I'm with You.

10. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Yes I'm in this group. Sold off my American guitars, play only MIJ or others now, almost everything I have a got for a steal, and I'm all about bang for buck. So far it's working wonderfully for me. The only thing I have that doesn't fit this description is my Greer CAM18 head, but I bought that with money I made from selling an amp that I bought for half of what I sold.

11. richey88

richey88 Member

12. ?&!

?&! Member

I used to have a pretty good selection of "player's" quality vintage stuff. Collectors would frown upon it, but musicians dug it. When prices went so crazy that even my stuff was too valuable to take to gigs, I sold all of it. I bought quality jap guitars, workhorse amps, and I learned to build my own pedals. Never been happier, never sounded better.

13. lp144

lp144 Supporting Member

Played a buddy's Peavey Bravo combo and was pleasantly surprised. Now I've got one with a Tone Tubby San Rafael speaker, Ei EL84s and TAD 12AX7A-Cs.

The Bravo has satisfying tone for jamming, practice, and rehearsal.

14. Echo Are

Echo Are Member

Yep, you're definitely not alone. I'm in this club too, although I would not call myself a snob, but rather someone forced by budget to find workable tone in a world of inexpensive amps.

I have a PV Bravo 112 also. Cool amp, blackface Fender on the cheap.

15. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

There are so many affordable cloners these days that you can get some amazing gear for reasonable prices. Especially if you hit up the Emporium on TGP. Luckily I bought my two R9's back when I was on corporate teat five years ago. It'd take a lot of saving to get guitars that expensive for me now.

16. nomadh

nomadh Member

I am very happy with the gear I got bottom fishing. My $200 stratenstein and my Peavey classic. They were good enough to get me onstage. I made a few bucks so I could justify my other amp, a crate V30. Not better but a different sound. Point is I wouldn't have bought it unless I made it to a stage where I could justify it. If I utilize my talent in some way or I make money then I can justify a purchase. Maybe someday if I make a few hundred a gig I will then earn an investment in better equipment. It doesn't have to be about money. Unless you absolutly are broke. Then its always about money:) If I played for a church or charity and could share the tone I would maybe spend more. I would probably never spend $2k on an amp that only I would ever hear. In the mean time spend more time than money and get great. Be VERY greatful that there is so much great tone out there for so little money. I don't know if you are a starving student or just cheap (like me). My best car is a $2000 minivan. It runs great, it looks good and I'd go cross country in it.
    Be responsible with money, shop smart, don't be jealous of others and don't think your next purchase will make you happy. Be greatful.
    Sorry about getting preachy. I think the current market politics have been on my mind.
    Maybe none of this applies to the OP at all but I think its good philosophy.
    PS I love my peavey classic 50 and crate v30. They got me in a good band and on stage. Something I've been wanting to do for years. I owe them.

17. AstroStrat89

AstroStrat89 Member

Cool replies, I got a feeling even if I could afford the top-o-the-line stuff it wouldn't quench the thirst for something a little better.

I do think a ton of people could plug into my Lead 20 blind and think its a rockin' amp. That's because it is a rockin' amp!

18. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Well my 68 plexi has a replaced power transformer, replacement logo and no back panel so I got it at a budget price.:moon

19. macheesmo3

macheesmo3 Senior Member

I feel your pain brutha ! I get aggravated with my tone all the time , because I know it's sooo close , just needs more punch ! Problem is , the punch I need seems to come at a $2000 price tag . So , I plan to start putting $$ away ( just as much as i can a little at a time ) until I've got the $$$ saved up , then I'll sell my present amp and maybe a guitar and go out and buy myself THE guitar and THE amp . ( right now a Victoria Tweed Twin is on my list and an Electric Guitar Company aluminum Telecaster) But I still plan on getting the amp through the used market . it could save me $1000 and that could buy another home practice amp with change leftover for a re-fit of my Epi les Paul !
    Just be patient and think of THE amp you want as a slow work in progress . heck if you put aside $50 a month here and $100 a month there , then sell your present amp for say $250 . You could have $1500 put aside in a little over a year and a half or so. Sure the anticipation would be murder ! But you would cherish and appreciate that amp for the rest of your life .... or until you don't like it anymore and decided to start over!!! The good thing is , the Boutiques hold their value pretty well when compared with production ones . So you could probably just start amp swapping with other folks until you find THE ONE !