Who Else Is Having Marital Problems with Their BB Preamp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hillibilly, Apr 11, 2008.

1. hillibilly

hillibilly Member

So heres the deal. A couple of months ago I got my first "Boutique" pedal, my BB Preamp. At first we got right along.

She would do everything I'd asked.She could keep her volumes down low when I needed, but could also let loose when the need arised. I loved her and the way she sounded.

But then our relationship with south, I was using her for just a booster when I wasn't playing with my TS-9 and Keeley BD-2. It just seemed to me she was on the back burner. I don't know if it was the way I treated her controls(I tried every position I could think of), or my other gear.

So now I am wondering if I should stay with her, and keep trying make it work, or leave her behind(I am willing to trade) and sell.

As anyone else had any problems with these pedals? I heard so many good things about them, but now I am just not happy.......(BTW I'm not crazy)

2. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I bought an AC Booster based on the many great reviews and I was very disappointed. It was not a very good sounding pedal IMHO, at least not with my gear. I tried it a bunch of different ways and just couldn't get a usable sound out of it. Very different from all of the glowing reviews you read about it. Maybe they just aren't for everybody. Who knows? Mine is long gone.

3. 8nthatK

8nthatK Supporting Member

I love my BB...one of my favs. It's very smooth and there's definately some compression like smoothing going on, without the compression.
    But ya know...if it ain't your bag, why fight it?

4. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

What don't you like about the BB? I had one and thought it was a pretty good pedal. It especially sounded great with one of my strats loaded with Fralin Vintage Hots going into an EL84 amp, but it did not sound great with all my guitars/amps. In the end, it was a bit too compressed for me so I sold it. I now have other pedals that play that role now (med gain OD) and I'm happier...

White Eternity
    Cornish SS2
    Tube Driver

5. aksman

aksman Member

it all depends on what you're using the BB for. There's a ton of good settings in there, but I find that it really just shines for lead-work and stacking.

I wanted a very low gain OD for chords that would stack well for lead...

While the BB doesn't knock my socks off for very-low-gain rhythm (RC and Timmy are way better, imo), nothing compares for leads and stacking (especially into the OCDl, but into everything).

Also, keep in mind that the BB is way better at higher volume.

6. hillibilly

hillibilly Member

See ....mine is the complete opposite. Way to jagged for my taste. Right now I keep my BD on all the time, and hit the TS for leads. If I need a little extra THEN I hit the bb. It just doesn't seem worth it to keep it around. I am all against the whole "It cost more therefore it is more" mentality. But in this case I keep thinking if should be a better OD then my others.

7. 8nthatK

Jagged? Really...that is the opposite of what I hear....mine be super duper smooth. You aren't running on a dieing battery or anything are you? (Just went thru this myself with a LovePedal).
    I don't use mine at home volume much, pretty much all stage, but still, it's very smooth and tight even at low volumes. Huh...how strange...
    Maybe yours is malfuntioning?

8. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

I hear ya.... I wanted to love my first "boutique" pedal BB as well but after close to a year, I am not sure I can warm up to it. The compression is part of what I hate and I am at the point where I am also pretty much just using it as a boost. The thing is, if you are running clean and want just a bit of warm overdrive for some bluesy melodic playing, that is where it is cool. Just doesn't really do it for me either when pushing an amp. I am mainly using my bad monkey for that and I am going to mod my Boss blues driver to the H20 mod to see if it gives me a good clean boost. for leads i just stack clean boosts. We all have diff ears... just wish we had more cash in the pocket book to see what our ears liked.

9. jgyn

jgyn Member

It's interesting how close the words 'marital' and 'martial' are to one another.

10. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

Actually, that's not interesting at all.

11. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

˙˙˙ǝɯ oʇ lɐɯɹou sʞool ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ ¿uʍop-ǝpısdn s,ʇɐɥʍ

12. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

Now THATS interesting! Would you let your daughter date a BB Preamp?

I've owned about 4 of those things...I really wanted to love it but.....
    For those of us that can't get along with her I suggest the Jetter Red. Its what the BB wants to be.

13. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I might... it's so tame, polite, and soft-spoken. Very well behaved and quite the money-maker too. I also hear it's not into the whole 3rd-input thing, so that puts my mind at some sort of ease.

14. nb_fan

nb_fan Member

I've heard that from a lot of people, even from the artists videos on the Xotic website.
    Do you mean that it sounds way better with the volume of the pedal cranked? or the amp volume cranked and the pedal volume at whatever you want?

if it's the latter, I don't really understand how that has anything to do with it sounding better.... unless everyone's just noticing that it sounds better because the amp is breaking up by its power tubes more, which adds to the 'betterness' that people hear...?

15. Sixa

Sixa Member

I own one and I don't like it.
    It sounds thin and weak through my Mesa F50.
    I let my friend try it through his Fender amp ( not sure what it is, sorry ) and it sounded great, full and meaty, we did a blind sound test against, Timmy, Tim, Box of Rock, Crunch Box, OCD, and a older Rat, and the BB Preamp held it's own.:NUTS
    I guess it really depends on the amp you're using.:crazy

16. soundbee

soundbee Member

I have a love/hate with mine and am constantly checking out other women. Have brief affairs with some but always go back to BB.

I find that the BB takes a slightly different mindset than most other pedals. For me, I tend to leave the tone controls at noon (off) and adjust the tone a the amp. This tends to give a better overall sound even when bypassed and forces me to focus more on the guitar and amp when dialing in tone. Most other drive pedals, I try to tweak out the tone controls to find the closest 'transparent' tone.

However, sometimes the 'character' of the drive bothers me. I can't really put my finger on it. Maybe it's the 'compression' that everyone talks about - but it doesn't feel like a compression.

Still I keep coming back to her...

I think the BB is very TS like and read somewhere a while back that all the Xotics (BB, AC, RC) were based on a TS circuit. Also, there's talk on the Xotic board that Allen Hinds BB was modded to make it more 'open' like the BB+. Anyone know what mods were done?

17. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

couldn't disagree more. Nothing like a TS. Very transparent and in fact it's the most transparent OD I have played through.

18. 8nthatK

+1 I certainly don't hear any Tubescreamer in it. Nice demo btw Jack.

19. ocripes

ocripes Supporting Member

Would that be "Martial" as in amp? "Martial" as in law and music? Or "Marital" as in feels like martial law