• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Who else likes higher powered amps...

Rob 62

My only amp, for years, was a '68 Twin Reverb. I wasn't gigging or recording, so it was my at home/practice amp. Became my reference tone - I compared everything to that sound, and eventually found sounds I liked better. Like - the Super Reverb, which is a quiet, lightweight, and easily transported amp. LOL

Oatie

Play through an old Tweed Twin with Celestion Gold Speakers you would be hooked on the big iron. At 4 on the volume is starts to sound good, thanks to the Linear vol pots Fender used.

The Triad Tweed Bassman OT vs. the Twin OT, almost exactly double the plate count.
The measurements are 2-3/4" on the Twin and 1-3/8" on the Bassman.
Biggest Iron Fender used in all the old amps.
This amp was basically the first Super Lead.

Kitten Cannon

I prefer my amps cooking, and I rarely can get a 50/100 watter cranked (whether at rehearsal or gigs). Even at the larger rooms I play (~1000 seaters) I can't crank a 100 watt Plexi. Headroom is for the PA - it can make my 10-20 watt amp as loud as needed, both in monitors and in house. But if you guys are able to crank loud amps for your gigs, go for it....
There are a lot of misconceptions on display here.

For starters, from a strictly tonal perspective, not all cranked amps are created equal. A 5W amp about to explode sounds nothing like a 50W amp about to explode. They would have different types of power tubes, for one, which break up differently. Also, the big iron in a more powerful amp will give more oomph in the lower range. Not necessarily more bass, just more of a full spectrum. Also, it doesn't matter how big the room is. You could absolutely crank a 100W Plexi for a 1000 person room. You just can't run that amp wide open, run your guitar wide open, and point everything straight at the audience. But people use their amps differently. I could take a cranked up Plexi and baffle it, side fill it, etc. - run through a pair of inefficient speakers, that would be totally fine in a room that size. But also remember that with fewer pedals, and using the guitar's volume to control it, a high-power amp cranked up can still be surprisingly tame volume-wise. We all use them differently.

Volume isn't the enemy. Poor management of volume is.

Lately I've been doing a lot of gigging with a Jackson Ampworks NewCastle 30 and it's a good, full clean tone with a bit of hair on tap if you're looking for that. With the added advantage of having a power knob to back it down in a smaller room. But I've got a Twin Reverb too, and I'm no less likely to gig with that than I am with my Deluxe Reverb.

Robbgnarly

Play through an old Tweed Twin with Celestion Gold Speakers you would be hooked on the big iron. At 4 on the volume is starts to sound good, thanks to the Linear vol pots Fender used.

The Triad Tweed Bassman OT vs. the Twin OT, almost exactly double the plate count.
The measurements are 2-3/4" on the Twin and 1-3/8" on the Bassman.
Biggest Iron Fender used in all the old amps.
This amp was basically the first Super Lead.

Then you can plug into a Marshall and hear what a real amp sounds like........:hide

Oatie

I have a few Marshalls in my Bedroom Rig.
But the sound from this Twin is really special.

ClassicLP

I gig rock to musicals... Small amps with good tone help me get called back. I like working and once made the error of bringing a fender blues deville with a 2x12. 60 watts was way overkill for this blues gig. Too rumbly on stage and bad optics (looks like too much). Lesson learned. Some like making loud noises at home, i like getting gigs. Ymmv.

Last edited:

JB6464

Silver Supporting Member
I prefer big iron and big tubes for me.
Anything smaller than EL34's just sounds to thin with no headroom.
No amp is to powerful for me , i'll just simply re-amp it if I need to control the volume for any reason.

keithb7

I was on a small amp kick for a few years. I had a 5W 1968 Vibro Champ. I built a 5W 5F1, and a 5W 5F2A. I enjoyed cranking them it was fun but still very loud at home. I moved on to a 12W Princeton Reverb, a 40W '64 Bandmaster and a 45W 71 Super Reverb. The biggest of them all, the Super gets the most use lately. It sounds simply amazing. I use pedals for dirt. I have lots of variety and the bigger amps work very well for my live band situation. Hard to beat bigger power amps tone wise. Weight wise they suck. I love them all. From my 5W to my 45W they all see use. Some more than others.

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
My main amp is a 100 watt Fryette Sig:X stack and my backup is a Rivera Knucklehead Reverb.

I love the sound of big iron going clean into eight 12" speakers.

siore

I've owned a bit of both small wattage and large amps, and modellers as well. I can say I prefer the depth and fullness of the larger amps. Others already expressed how good the cleans can be. Cranked tones can be loud, but cranked small amps are also loud. If you bring both down to manageable levels, it's hard to say whether I like one over the other.

All in all, small amps can be fun, I play a lot through them. But big wattage amps are just glorious! They're all nice tools to have.

DEMENTED

Silver Supporting Member
I play at home with two half-stacks, a 100 watter and a 50 watter. I like to feel the thump.

robertkoa

Ok, here goes:

1. My tuning pegs look like little penises. Where can I get direct replacements?

2. What pickups should I get to make my guitar sound like a bassoon?

3. Unicorn hair cleaning cloths; yay or nay?

Are you happy? :)
Lol. Really funny post caught me off guard.

IbanezRokr

I'm not a huge fan of power tube distortion. So big bottle big iron amps for me.

Revv Generator 120. 4 KT88's.

zenas

Let's see I have two Twin Reverbs when my Princeton or Deluxe Reverbs are really all the volume I need.
Yeah I like big amps !

My next build is going to be a high powered tweed Twin like Oate's. Last original HPTT I saw for sale was $25,000 .

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
Just made this with a 100 watter at bedroom volumes with a house full of folks sleeping:

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/bmandrell/renees-flu[/soundcloud]

Friedman JJ100, awesome master volume.

schilly

I play at home with two half-stacks, a 100 watter and a 50 watter. I like to feel the thump.
I winder if this is why the people who really prefer the 50+ watts at home prefer it. Not the auditory aspect of it at all but the physical sensation of the sound. Does it sound good or does it feel good? Or is it just a matter of the cabinet?

ClassicLP

I winder if this is why the people who really prefer the 50+ watts at home prefer it. Not the auditory aspect of it at all but the physical sensation of the sound. Does it sound good or does it feel good? Or is it just a matter of the cabinet?

Some guys like moving air. The actual sound of it would be lost in a band context or EQ'd out of a recording mix.

bbutler123

I like bigger amps.
Larger iron just sounds bigger.

In my personal experience smaller amps do chords pretty well but single notes are a bit thin and lacking.
I may be wrong though with some of the newer lower powered amps out there.

Like the smaller Marshall 1 watters . I think some sound badass, but as soon as you start playing some bluesy single note leads they sound completely wimpy compared to a large amp.
I have a 15 watt Magnatone boutique amp. It's probably the best amp I've ever heard. It's full, great, couldn't ask for more, etc. And I've heard 15 watt amps that DON'T sound big.

But as soon as I plug into my 40 Fender Pro right next to it, I realize "Holy crap that 40 watter sounds BIGGER." Lots bigger.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom