Who else likes the Deluxe Reverb better than the Vibrolux Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Beng2040, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Beng2040

Beng2040 Supporting Member

I have a 1965 DR and a 1968 VR and I really like them both. That said, there is some major overlap in tones between the two but I can't bring myself to get rid of either (although I really should). After gigging the DR recently (I just bought it) I think I like it better. It seems VR that once the VR gets past 3 it's too loud for even the bigger venues I play in. I also prefer the DR's 6V6 vibe...it's a little looser feeling and more raggedy, in a good way. I like that the VR provides more headroom but the DR has plenty and is a loud 22 watts. I think I prefer the reverb and trem on the DR too. I don't know why, but they sound warmer to my ears. Maybe it's the speakers in the amps...

Those of you who have or had both, which is your favorite and why? I'm talking about vintage models. I've only played a couple DR reissues and they didn't do much for me, but that may have had more to do with the speakers in them.

2. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

I hear you. I have a '65 DR and a '76 VR. I really need to sell one, so the '76 went. Not that I don't like the VR, I actually miss the glassy cleans. I realized that I prefer the DR (6V6 w/12") tone better. Good thing for me is, I sold it to a friend who's a gear hoarder. I'm sure he's sell it back if I would want it back. I hope.. :)

Here's a similar thread I did a few weeks ago.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1524521

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  3. Beng2040

^^^ Yeah, I read that thread. Seems like the VR wins out for most. I love mine and have used it for years but I never get to really crank it when playing out. I played a pretty large venue last weekend with my DR whereas I used to always use the VR. The DR was up at 4.5 and the VR is usually a 2.5 or 3 on this gig. At this volume level, the DR sounds better. I also think the reverb and trem sounded warmer. This is the largest venue I regularly play other than outdoor gigs which only come along every so often. I'm thinking about getting a twin reverb for those situations because a VR isn't quite enough.

4. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

I'm pretty much in the same boat, really no use for the VR.

5. Bossanova

Bossanova Member

I'm the other way, had both and sold the DR. Maybe having 2 speakers makes a difference to my ears, i just love the 3d-ness and crispness of the VR.

6. Beng2040

Well, I played them side by side for a while today and it's a tough one. I think I do slightly prefer the VR now. It does have more of a 3D sound. The DR is more of a direct sound and more ragged. I've had the VR for so long and was itching to try something new. I planned on selling one of the two, but I love them both. Neither of them is going anywhere.

7. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Supporting Member

8. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I currently have both. I play the DR probably 80% or more of the time... because of the clubs I play and volume control. But there will be times when the DR wont cut it in a larger venue.

9. foo_3001

foo_3001 Member

I have a '72 DR and a '76 VR,

I like the VR a lot better even though I never get to turn it past 3 or so (and thats already LOUD).

There's just something about the bigger transformers / bigger overall speaker surface / more power that makes it perfect for most gigs.

..no tube breakup though, thats where the DR wins.

10. buddyboy

buddyboy Gold Supporting Member

I have two 1965 DR's (one with a JBL D120) and a 1966 VR. Four years ago I would have voted for my VR. Nowadays, the gigs are getting quieter and quieter, so I use my one DR with it's original Oxford for the small gigs and the JBL DR for the bigger ones. I will never sell my VR, but I don't really use it anymore.

11. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

How's the 65 DR with JBL's? Is the baffle holding the JBL just fine? I'm worried that the weight of the JBL's are not good for the baffle. I also have an Altec I wanted to try. Too heavy!

12. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

I prefer a DR because a 12" speaker has a fuller sound than 2x10 speakers, using speakers of the same type.

13. buddyboy

buddyboy Gold Supporting Member

It's holding up fine. My understanding is that the broken baffle board issue with JBL's and Fenders mostly occurs in the 2x12 amps as the break typically occurs in the thin section of the baffle between each speaker. That's not present in a 1x12 amp.

14. bratch

bratch Member

It is style-dependent, it seems. The DR works better for you. I'll bet the poll results for this would be 50-50!

Since I've found the 10" speakers I dig, I think I'd rather have the vibrolux, but either would be killer.

15. Laurent Brondel

Laurent Brondel Supporting Member

As noted before a 1 x 12" baffle made out of 3/4" particle board will hold any speaker just fine, providing the baffle has no breaks or cracks.
    I have EVM 12L's in my 2 X SFDR cabs and they're totally fine, with 4 mounting bolts, but heavy of course.
    I had a '71 VR for some time and finally sold it, great amp, but it seems I prefer the sound of 12" speakers.

16. Vibrolux

Vibrolux Gold Supporting Member

17. lestera34

lestera34 Supporting Member

Biased.

18. pbmw

pbmw Member

I have a VR here on a long term loan. It's a mid 60's. Not sure the year. I've owned a few BF DR's. I prefer the VR. Just sounds bigger. More 3d.
    But they both have their place.
    I don't play it our, but I do record with it.

19. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I tried to put a JBL D120F in my 65 BFDR, the studs were not long enough to get the nuts on!
    I think the DR baffle board is as thick as the Pro etc ones right? Particle board.
    I have seen the vintage boards crack from shipping with heavy speakers... especially the Super Reverb and Twin ones... probably because there is less wood "meat" left with those speaker cutouts. The DR should have plenty... as long as you are not shipping it. With a JBL, EV etc, I'd want the speaker shipped separately.

On the 1 vs 2 speaker front:

There is some tonal difference with two speakers vs one. Like mentioned above... sounds more 3 dimensional. Having said that, once the amp sounds gets in the band mix.. it doesn't matter much.

20. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

Cool thanks for the JBL infos.

Quick question. Did the blackface line (specially DR) ever came with JBL's? I know that around '68 some Twin came with JBL from the factory.