Who else makes a model like the Gibson J-200??

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by JeffreyC, Jan 14, 2008.

1. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

Who else makes a model like the Gibson J-200??

EDIT: I should add that I'm sort of looking for that nice big strumming sound that Townshend gets (my Martin D35 just can't do that, but it does other things well)- I know he used J-200's from the 60's, but I'm not sure how the new ones or the sig model compare. Maybe there is something else out there that will give me that sound for less $$. I'm thinking $2500 or less.

Thanks.

2. Ravindave_3600

Ravindave_3600 Member

I don't think there's ANYthing quite like a good J-200.

3. geetarman

geetarman Member

Guild made some very nice super jumbos in the Westerly, RI years.

4. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

Do you know the time frame? Sorry, I don't know jack about Guild - although my buddy has a Guild 12 string he bought in the early 90's - he's had some problems with it.

5. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

Anyone???? Man this forum moves slow.

I've found a few models, but haven't been able to get out and play them yet...

Larrivee Customer J-70 - $2900

Townshend Gibson J-20 - $3979

Alvarez Yairi YB1 Jumbo - $1449

Guild F50R Vint Jumbo - $2174
    w/DTAR pickup

Others from smaller shops?

6. geetarman

geetarman Member

My understanding is up til about 1992 Guild acoustics were more consistently well built but as with all guitars try before you buy. You may also want to consider the Taylor 615 played some nice ones in the 90's.

7. davess23

davess23 Member

Late 60's through at least the late '80's or so should get you a good Guild F-50. I like the flame backed blondes.
    Guilds (the older ones, anyway) are usually well built instruments.

8. chaz

chaz Member

There's a '66 Gibby J-200 in your price range on the 'bay' right now, and someone had a very fancy new one in the emporium at that price point last week. If I had the jack I wouldn't be telling you this! :D

9. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

I searched Ebay and couldn't locate a 66 J-200. You have a link?

10. Ogre

Ogre Member

I played a Gibson J100, which is a decontented(less ornamentation, inlay) J200, and it sounded really good. I like the plainer appearance, and it had a factory pickup installed.

11. konavet

konavet Member

I'm surprised that no one's mentioned the Taylor Jumbos (the X15 series). Obviously a different bird tonally than the Gibson, but the body size/shape is pretty much the same. I have 2 Taylor 12 string jumbos that I like a lot, but I haven't played the 6 strings much. Certainly worth a looksee.

12. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

I played a new Gibson J-200 in GC yesterday - around $3200...very nice guitar loud, balanced, dynamic.

13. chaz

chaz Member

14. Ogre

Ogre Member

The J100 goes for2K.

15. Bob V

Bob V Member

Guild was purchased by Fender in 1995. So in the years before that you have a collectible "pre-Fender" or you have a guitar made by a company that almost went out of business and was ripe for a takeover. I believe they continued to operate the Westerly factory for years after that. Mine's a lovely '94 D30 Blonde, with a nice jumbo-ish maple sound in a dreadnought shaped body.

16. mmarconi

mmarconi Member

Guild made a Killer Maple Jumbo their top of the line JF-65. from the 70's till they closed Westerly. I have the JF-65-12 monstrous!...The only other Maple Jumbo that comes close is a Goodall..@ the same price (or more) as a SJ 200..I believe Taylor Made a Maple Jumbo back in the day, but I have never played one...Best Bet is the Guild JF-65. Overlooked and hard to find but great guitars if you Like Maple Jumbos. Mike
    Here's someone playing one..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-GDKSllZI0
    Guild still makes the F50 Maple Jumbo 6 string.
    http://www.guildguitars.com/instruments/search.php?partno=3802400801

17. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

Gibsons are the beat strummers on the planet.

I love J-200s and have pretty much stuck with a 1960 model for quite awhile now. I have also owned one of those RI-made jumbo maple top Guilds. Totally different tone. The Guild had a brightness the J-200 could not come close to matching.

What characterizes a good J-200 is booming bass, aggressive mids and fat highs. They project like all get out - these suckers are loud.

I agree that you can find a Townsend-period Gibson J-200 in your price range. Prices on Gibson J-200s made after 1960 drop quite a bit due to the adding of the "dreaded" floating brace and adjustable bridge in 1961. Townsend's J-200 was a Norlin-era guitar - a 1968 which would have also had a laminated neck. I have recently seen two mid-1960s J-200s (one a McCarty period and the other an early Norlin) selling for less than the price you quoted.

Good Luck

18. loudboy

loudboy Member

The Gibson J-100 Xtra, w/the maple back and sides will do the trick.

Hands down, the best-sounding guitar we ever had in the studio. Beat out Collings, Martins, Santa Cruz and about a million Taylors.

Can be had on E-Bay for $1200.

I've got a slightly older J-100 coming right now. I'll report when I get it.

Loudboy

19. ac30

ac30 Member

The J-100 is a thinner bodied jumbo.

But Gibson's J-150 is the exact same guitar without the appointments. No binding on the neck and headstock, no ingraving on the pickguard, etc. but supposedly, it plays, and more importantly, sounds the same.
    AND it goes for around a grand less. Pretty good tradeoff...

Generations Music, here in Niagara Falls, has an SJ-200EC that I fell in love with, but can't afford. They're bringing a J-150 in later in the week for me to test drive.
    I'll keep you posted....

ac30...