who else *really* sounds like GNR and Aerosmith, that *greasy/sleazy* blues rock vibe?

Kill 'Em All

Guns N' Roses was the first band that i *really* got into, i was 10 when 'AFD' came out and listened to it non-stop for at least a year or more. i grew up on MTV and am familiar with most bands of the era, but nobody else ever came close to them for me (as far as hard rock, i don't like any of the "hair metal" bands). at some point i realized that their sound is very influened by Aerosmith and there's a number of their songs that have that same style as what i love about GN'R. like with Black Sabbath, there's so many bands these days that really capture everything that i love about them. not quite, but it's almost like i don't even need Sabbath anymore. you know? (no, nothing comes close to their *songs*, but if i want to hear some riffs that sound better than anything Iommi did past 'Sabotage' i'm well covered.)

i've got to be completely honest in saying that i was a Faster Pussycat fan around that time, but i can't take them seriously now. their second album is actually pretty close to what i'm looking for though, i guess. Skid Row? Cinderella? not really, i really like some of their songs, but i can't listen to these bands.

i'm looking for more of a raw/punk vibe, like 'Anything Goes', 'Nightrain' (why do i still think there should be two T's in there?), and the early songs on 'GNR Lies'. i pulled up the first two New York Dolls albums, and *that* is pretty close. Hanoi Rocks as well. even bands like The Faces, MC5, The Stooges, etc they're along the same lines. Rose Tattoo is pretty "meh", but 'Nice Boys' is awesome.

as far as new bands, Dirty Honey has some cool riffs that are pretty much it, but overall i don't like them much at all. not really familiar with any other new bands, i don't really follow the rock scene.

ehh, it's even harder to describe what i'm not looking for. like, i can't even take Steven Tyler or Axl Rose seriously most of the time. most Aerosmith is just "ok", and with GN'R i can't even listen to UYI I&II or anything after that. most blues rock doesn't really do it for me. i am certainly *not* looking for anything like Gary Moore, etc for example. almost like a "punk blues rock" sound i guess, but more rock than punk or blues? i'm quite picky about bands/artists in those genres too.

basically, i just want more of this:

Screen-Shot-2017-12-16-at-2.02.21-PM.png

and some of this:

Last edited:

Spider Mark

I saw Guns N' Roses when they first toured Australia back when just because they got the original Rose Tattoo to reform as their support act. I went for the Tatts but stayed for the Gunners and really liked them.

From that period you have
Junkyard
Jetboy
Cyclone Temple
Spread Eagle (a lot more like sleaze on speed tho)
LA Guns

Hanoi Rocks

Izzy certainly loved his Johnny Thunders combined with Keith, so Dolls/Heartbreakers for sure. I guess you can throw in the Dictators if you like that stuff... can go down a long road of punk rock n roll type adjacent acts from there. There's quite a bit of modern bands going down this road. Check out the Heart Attacks from the mid 00's. Singer is now with a band called RMBLR which has a sleazy punk blues vibe, Tuck Smith went on to Biters, which isn't really this type of music, but Biters second guitarist Matt Gabbs is now with Ravagers who is somewhat in this mold. Killer Hearts are kind of like a post GnR Dead Boys.

wildschwein

Check out some of Izzy's solo records. Like a Dog is pretty cool. It's not as bloated as G'N'R but a lot of the swagger attitude, vibe and swing of their early material is there. I often think Stradlin's song writing, persona and playing were an essential part of that band.

pete692

Silver Supporting Member
The Rolling Stones
The Faces
Little Feat
Foghat
Barely even superficially. Nobody sounds like GnR, in their totality. Guns had an insane megalomaniac hopped up on God only knows what singing about all manner of mayhem and chaos on the LA streets. He meant it, or at least he sold it- I know I believed it. To me, spiritually at least, Motorhead is their daddy

Kill 'Em All

some good suggestions so far, thanks. i'll reply in more detail when i have time, but here's a start...

A different vein, but LA Guns first two albums are regardaed as "sleaze rock". Tracii Guns is the Guns in the G'N'R name.

i meant to mention them with the others. i always wanted their albums at the time, but never got them (it wasn't long before i started listening to Metallica, etc).

... Izzy certainly loved his Johnny Thunders combined with Keith, so Dolls/Heartbreakers for sure. I guess you can throw in the Dictators if you like that stuff... can go down a long road of punk rock n roll type adjacent acts from there. There's quite a bit of modern bands going down this road. Check out the Heart Attacks from the mid 00's. Singer is now with a band called RMBLR which has a sleazy punk blues vibe, Tuck Smith went on to Biters, which isn't really this type of music, but Biters second guitarist Matt Gabbs is now with Ravagers who is somewhat in this mold. Killer Hearts are kind of like a post GnR Dead Boys.
yeah, i think this is where i should be looking. a lot of the New York Dolls stuff is pretty cool, and i was actually shocked to find that a number of things on the first two albums were directly ripped off by the Sex Pistols and a few others. that's another band that's similar, just straight-up gnarly rock n' roll. i love the blues-y flare of GN'R, Aerosmith, etc though, that's a big thing.

Spider Mark

From https://www.ilikeyouroldstuff.com/news/guns-n-roses-the-bastard-sons-of-aussie-pub-rock:

“One of the main reasons this band got together was a song called Take A Long Line,” Rose admitted on stage during the band’s first Australian tour in 1988. As a sign of the Los Angeles quintet’s deference, The Angels were included on the bill for GN’R’s Sydney Entertainment Centre show. Guns N’ Roses performed The Angels’ 1978 single Marseilles in their fledgling years, with Axl also singing the track in 2014 after learning of frontman Bernard ‘Doc’ Neeson’s death. “This one’s for Doc,” Rose told the Las Vegas crowd gathered at The Joint. “From The Angels to the angels.”

Trending Topics

Top Bottom