Who else saw Dead and Co this weekend?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by amstrtatnut, Jun 2, 2019.

1. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

Drove to the Bay Area with my son to see Dead and Co at Shoreline.

Im actually from the Bay Area and had forgoten what a pita Shoreline is.

Access to the venue is ridiculous. We took an uber and still walked a mile to actually get to venue. Once there, there was a long ass line to get in that took an hour. Unbelievable.

The sound was effed up, we had lawn seats and it just sounded far away with no bass to speak of. They have sound reinforcement towers but it seemed like they werent using them. It sounded a lot like an am radio.

Lastly, I have back issues and cannot stand for an entire show. So we were surrounded by people standing up, and could not see the stsge at all.

Playing wise, I feel Dead and Co are missing something. They seem to lack some of the oomf the Dead had. That could be a function of the mix, IDK.

Anyone have a different experience?

mcuguitar and ifallalot like this.
  2. Suave Eddie

Suave Eddie Member

When I lived in Santa Rosa I used to go to Shoreline once in a while. I always forgot how long it took to get there and what a pain it was. As far as lacking "oomf" I think that could be Jerry Garcia and not the mix.

3. Bloomfield fan

Bloomfield fan Silver Supporting Member

I watched online so I had a very different experience. Sorry you had a bad show.

John did play a new 3 pickup 594 and a sand a sand colored SS.

4. Lotis

Lotis Silver Supporting Member

The absence of Phil Lesh could diminish the oomf factor bigtime.

Tonekat, old crow, matt1969 and 6 others like this.
  5. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Member

My son and I are going to the Hollywood Bowl with friends on Tuesday. I haven’t been back there since June 17, 1972 when I saw my first Dead show. The New Riders opened and Pigpen played his last show that night. It was everything a 16 year old wanted.

Junior and I have seen the Fare Thee Well shows in Santa Clara and Chicago, Furthur at the Berkeley Greek Theatre, Dark Star Orchestra at the El Rey in Los Angeles. We weren’t planning on seeing John Mayer with DeadCo, but my bassist never made it to a Dead show and bought 4 tix.

I’ll report in after the show.

I saw Oteil play at the Skull and Roses Festival in Ventura. There were many very good bassists in the other bands, but Oteil was absolutely the best if them all.

amstrtatnut likes this.
  6. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

When I went looking for beer I saw video feed of the band playing and thought, "crap" I could watch this from my house. The point of live show is a dynamic visceral experience. Shoreline did not deliver. The new Golden 1 center in sac is much better. I cannot say about the wheatland amphitheater. Its been too long since I was there.

Id be stoked if Dead and co played at golden 1.

7. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

I saw the Fare Thee Well show in SC. The sound was stadium like, kinda out of control but, it was in no terms weak.

I saw DSO about a year ago and actually left. They played with zero dynamics. It was literally all the things Dead haters say. Aimless noodle jams that go nowhere, all in a monotone. Maybe I caught them on an off night. But, I wont go back.

8. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

The Mercury News agrees with you - they said 'Dead & Company kick off summer tour with a snoozer'.

I think that Bob Weir no longer has the ability to drive the band - and the words 'safe' and 'calculated' are
    now swirling around a band used to being known for it's risk taking.

RCCola, mixsit, Mad John and 2 others like this.
  9. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

At risk of sounding like a whiny bitch, Ill say I think JMs choice of guitars is a bummer. PRS just sound bland to me. Even though JM gets in the neighborhood of Jerry, and plays the **** out of it, the PRS just sounds small, scooped and bland to me. I pictured me jamming with my SG of all guitars and sounded better in my head. :)

hank57 likes this.
  10. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

I was missing Weir in the mix. I mean, yeah he was there but, just barely.

Its amazing what effect a good mix has on me. A bad mix can literally ruin a show for me while the rest of the audience is completely oblivious.

Eagles 2018>Dead and Co 2019 in a big big way.

Tom Petty just before he died> Dead and co. No comparison.

ELO blew my socks off! So, Im capable of having a good time but, have standards. :oops::bonk

RCCola likes this.
  11. playsarobin

playsarobin Results. Not excuses.

100% with you on this. Not to derail, but the sound guy is just as important as any band member. A bad mix removes you from the moment being curated by those on the stage.

I love a live show more than just about any event, and I’m way too picky about mixes to enjoy it, if I’m not careful. Just like a guitarist in the audience critiquing another guitar player on stage, I have to be careful to enjoy his portrayal.

Rod likes this.
  12. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Maybe they’re just getting their sea legs?

I don’t go as consistently as I did...but I’ll never hang up my spurs when it comes to that band.

I think JM is doing a great job. I love Bobby, and his rhythm guitar work is one of my greatest influences, but I think he should pick his battles better when it comes to singing (especially Jerry tunes) and really focus on playing the tunes up to tempo! The super slow versions more than anything make these latter day renditions seem sleepy to me.

Sorry about the bad mix...outdoor shows can be difficult.

slider, RCCola and Big'Uns like this.
  13. Big'Uns

Big'Uns Member

“It just felt like Dead & Company was cruising through the songs with one foot on the brake“......kinda sums up this band for me in general.

You can always trust Grateful Dean to keep it real. His takes for nights 1 and 2.

RCCola likes this.
  14. ellis dee

ellis dee Member

i caught the end of the show on you tube. i was blown away. i can honestly say now...
    i totally get the dead.

15. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I also have back issues. I never buy lawn seats anymore. I pay what is necessary to sit in the pavilion and it's well worth it. You can't take it with you, OP - enjoy life now.

Dead and Company is not the Grateful Dead. That's the #1 key to enjoying the show. Let go of what can never again be and live in and enjoy what is.

My last Dead and Company show was last summer in Oregon. It was awesome. My next show will be June 26 in Virginia. I'm bringing my daughter (her 3rd show), my son and his GF (1st show for each). We have pavilion seats, of course.

16. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

Oteil and Kimock did a great performance in CO a while back.

Last two nights I caught Unlimited Devotion benefit for Rex Foundation. Free on nugs.tv.

Kimock, George Porter, Jr. , Leslie Mendelson, John Kadlecik, many more.

RCCola and amstrtatnut like this.
  17. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

My experience is the opposite. Outdoor shows are extremely easy - lack of reflective surfaces - what you have is what you get back - meaning that if the system is underpowered or not enough cabinets for proper dispersion you'll know right away. Indoor has the opposite effect - reflective surfaces - frequency resonance that fools with the mix image - and in regards to large sports arenas - one of the crappiest acoustic environments to ever be in.

To a degree the FOH has a lot of control over the 'feel' and 'Mix' of a band - however if the band is having an off night - or the rhythm section is not playing together - or in the case of the Dead - playing at stupid slow tempos - nothing can be fixed. As every one knows intuitively - songs resonate when played at the proper tempo - and actually can punch through a bad mix.

In regards to the Dead and Friends main engineer - that's Derek Featherstone - he's been FOH for around 12 years - but more importantly he has been with Ultrasound who have had a working relationship with the Dead for more than 30 years. It's not like he doesn't know how to mix the Dead - in interviews he has said that mixing the Dead is like mixing a brand new act every night. They have very inconsistent stage volumes and rarely at the same point each night. I think that this show's problems are probably the Dead themselves - they don't need to warm up - they need to up their focus (IMO). And Weir should relinquish his leadership role to more of a supervisory one - like he always did with Garcia. Let the strongest point the way - and gently guide the band. Definitely they all should stop slowing things down. It's tremendously unmusical and quite sonically boring.

Jacksteiner, AbePhroman and Big'Uns like this.
  18. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

I agree about reflections and standing waves etc...outdoors better for that, but the space and sound are inherently less contained and can seem more diffused, which was the OPs main objection, that it lacked punch/oomph.

I too think the dead could stand to focus a bit more, and in my tribute act I did for many years I felt we did represent the songs in a more aggressive but occasionally too manicured fashion. Very tough to be polished and spontaneous at the same time. Tough call, and one these guys don’t have to make, fans are going to clap.

amstrtatnut likes this.
  19. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Old and in the way, that's what I heard them say ...

;)

Seriously, musically, I don't disagree. I'm just more willing than most, I guess, to ark [spelled this way deliberately] with the river of time.

20. jkendrick

jkendrick Member

I won’t comment on a Dead and Co. as I’ve never seen them live, but I have been to Shoreline and agree it’s a crappy venue. I’m always reminded of Weir singing Minglewood at their first Shoreline run where he said something like, “it’s T right here in wherever we are, this garbage heap...”