Who else saw Dead and Co this weekend?

johnnyb128

I went to both nights. I preferred the first night over the second but that may have something to do with having far superior seats about 20 rows back. I will never get lawn at shoreline and after the debacle with the lines getting in I may never go back there. 8 metal detectors and one point of entry for the entire venue. First night I got there and in super early, no problems, but night 2 I got in line at 6 and didn’t get in until 8. Really pissed off at missing the first 4 songs.

As with any Dead show there were moments of brilliance and moments that were meandering. I noticed far fewer meandering moments on night 1. Overall though, both were on par with other D&C shows I’ve seen and if anything Mayer’s improved over last year (which was an improvement over the previous year) to the point where I’ve completely accepted him in that role. He brings a lot of enthusiasm and energy and is not copping Jerry licks, brings his own thing to it. I love his tone this year too, I couldn’t see in detail but understand he’s using Dumbles for the first time and additional mods to his guitars.

Sound up close on night 1 was awesome, night 2 much further back was definitely not as good, so I’d bet the lawn was way worse than that. I did presale to get tickets and suggest you’d do the same next year.

On a super positive note, Bob has been working out and is in incredible shape so this thing could keep going for a long long while....here's a pic from the encore last night sporting the Slayer/Mayer shirt:

Last edited:

Comanche5

Drove to the Bay Area with my son to see Dead and Co at Shoreline.

Im actually from the Bay Area and had forgoten what a pita Shoreline is.

Access to the venue is ridiculous. We took an uber and still walked a mile to actually get to venue. Once there, there was a long ass line to get in that took an hour. Unbelievable.

The sound was effed up, we had lawn seats and it just sounded far away with no bass to speak of. They have sound reinforcement towers but it seemed like they werent using them. It sounded a lot like an am radio.

Lastly, I have back issues and cannot stand for an entire show. So we were surrounded by people standing up, and could not see the stsge at all.

Playing wise, I feel Dead and Co are missing something. They seem to lack some of the oomf the Dead had. That could be a function of the mix, IDK.

Anyone have a different experience?
If there was anything wrong with the sound, it sounds like you were having a bad day.

Papanate

Old and in the way, that's what I heard them say ...
LOL!

Seriously, musically, I don't disagree. I'm just more willing than most, I guess, to ark [spelled this way deliberately] with the river of time.
I more in the camp of let the leaders rule. Weir wouldn't be relinquishing a thing - I just think he's way out of his wheelhouse - and he should understand that.
He's always been the guy to guide the ship into the Harbor - but he's never been the Captain .

Bloomfield fan

Silver Supporting Member
I will also point out that hearing loss and problems associated with that have become a much bigger issue for Bobby over the last year.

ifallalot

Supporting Member
I went to both nights. I preferred the first night over the second but that may have something to do with having far superior seats about 20 rows back. I will never get lawn at shoreline and after the debacle with the lines getting in I may never go back there. 8 metal detectors and one point of entry for the entire venue. First night I got there and in super early, no problems, but night 2 I got in line at 6 and didn’t get in until 8. Really pissed off at missing the first 4 songs.

As with any Dead show there were moments of brilliance and moments that were meandering. I noticed far fewer meandering moments on night 1. Overall though, both were on par with other D&C shows I’ve seen and if anything Mayer’s improved over last year (which was an improvement over the previous year) to the point where I’ve completely accepted him in that role. He brings a lot of enthusiasm and energy and is not copping Jerry licks, brings his own thing to it. I love his tone this year too, I couldn’t see in detail but understand he’s using Dumbles for the first time and additional mods to his guitars.

Sound up close on night 1 was awesome, night 2 much further back was definitely not as good, so I’d bet the lawn was way worse than that. I did presale to get tickets and suggest you’d do the same next year.

On a super positive note, Bob has been working out and is in incredible shape so this thing could keep going for a long long while....here's a pic from the encore last night sporting the Slayer/Mayer shirt:

Wow he looks great. I'd like to know his diet

joelster

Silver Supporting Member
I didn't catch Dead and Co but I just gotta say that I have some pretty fond memories of Shoreline from the late eighties. Hands down my favorite landfill...

TheMindful

Without getting into any dogging on them, I agree Dead and Co to me just doesn't have that oomph. It doesn't feel "badass", it's too safe. Part of it's he tempos, a lot of it is the drummers, and Oteil, is great but doesn't bring that borderline maliciousness that Lesh or Dave Schools of Widespread Panic have.

I'm glad lots of people get something out of Dead and Co, I never could. Furthur was the right offshoot to me mostly because Joe Russo on drums and Jeff Chimenti on keys were absolute musical powerhouses that kept things incredibly solid and genuinely capable of moving anywhere at any time.

joelster

Silver Supporting Member
Nice to see Bobby getting back in shape. I watched that The Other One documentary and was thinking that he had definitely let himself go fallow.

amstrtatnut

On a positive note, there were people of ALL ages there. I kinda knew getting Mayer in the mix would attract a younger crowd.

I probably wont see them again. However, Im glad they are doing so well and that loads of young folks are enjoying it too.

smolder

Gold Supporting Member
Of all of the post Grateful Dead combinations this is my favorite. I like Ratdog a hellova lot, but miss the Jerry songs. This is the first post GD band that makes the hair on my arms stand up. I’ll keep seeing them... gonna catch Folsom with my family.

noley

Frequently Mistaken for Fabio
Silver Supporting Member
This:

Dead and Company is not the Grateful Dead. That's the #1 key to enjoying the show. Let go of what can never again be and live in and enjoy what is. ...
So right Jon. My son was at last night’s show and had a blast. He’s 28 and the only Dead tunes he knows are those he played as our fill in drummer once in a while.

What he told me today was that the sound was good where he was, the vibe was positive, and he met great people...old and young.

His Mom and I saw the Dead many many times (70’s-80’s) and he knows the history but that was our thing not his. He was so excited to send me pics and (crappy) clips because he knew I would dig em. Too bad I live in North Carolina and was up way past my bedtime. That and that I had frontrow seats with the simulcast.

But right on, it’s not the same band and shouldn’t be judged as such.

Soul Man

Local 83
Silver Supporting Member
But right on, it’s not the same band and shouldn’t be judged as such.
Oh but they are. It's entertaining to read the Mayer haters posts as they try to mask their digs since they can't go into full d-bag mode, LOL.

Trending Topics