Who else saw Dead and Co this weekend?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by amstrtatnut, Jun 2, 2019.

1. lestera34

lestera34 Supporting Member

It's still worth a listen and going to see if you haven't been.

Not the same band as the GD was in any iteration and isn't intended to be, so certainly not the same "energy" since the variable of band members has changed quite a bit throughout the years.

I haven't bought tickets to see them the past year or two, although I went a bunch 2015-2017. Maybe I need to hit a show this month.

2. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

I enjoy JM quite a bit and like him in this roll. That said, it really isnt the same band. The fact that dont dig his choice of guitar notwithstanding.

3. jrockbridge

jrockbridge Member

I only saw the Grateful Dead twice with Jerry. The first time was in Phoenix. IIRC it was 90’s right after Bret Mydland had died. Bruce Hornsby was playing keys. I thought that first show was pretty lame. I was disappointed in the band. I think the dessert heat was getting to Jerry. They took lots of long breaks. There were some cool moments, few and far between. But, I had a blast with the scene. I dropped acid and people were great!

The second Dead show I saw with Jerry was in Denver, years after the first show. I brought a friend who was into hard rock but did not care for jam bands. Neither of us was expecting much after my experience at that first show. Luckily, we were both blown away by the Dead that night. They absolutely killed! I was so glad I got lucky enough to catch them on a great night.

I’ve seem The Other Ones multiple times. Once was at the same venue as OP. My opinion is that venue sucks unless you are close. I was not.

I caught the Dead with Warren Haynes in Denver. It was fantastic but different from the GD with Jerry.

I’ve never seen Dead and CO with Mayer. But, I’ve seen clips. They definitely have the ability to bring it with plenty of oomph IMO.

Perhaps, this was a case of bad seats, bad venue. Or, maybe, the band had an off night. Or, it could have been a little of both.

I’d like to see Dead and CO with Mayer. I think it has potential for oomph. Just my opinion.

amstrtatnut likes this.
  4. c7sus

c7sus Member

Went to see JRAD in Eugene and Redmond this weekend.

The show at Eugene was the most dosed show I have been to since the Dead at the Greek in Berkeley way back when.

5. karmadave

karmadave Member

I attended both Shoreline shows, this weekend, and here's my take. Friday was a bit slow and the band was felt like they were still trying to find their footing. There were some nice moments, for sure, but certainly not the best Dead-related show I've attended.

Saturday night was high energy and the band seemed much more locked in. Especially in the 2nd set. Set 2 opened with a nice 'China-Rider' and ended with a very high energy 'Morning Dew'.

John Mayer's voice and playing make the whole thing possible in my opinion. Bob Weir is well...Bob Weir, and while his voice was strong his guitar playing is an 'acquired taste'. Oteil is a solid bass player, but no Phil Lesh, and the drummers seem solid. I actually enjoy most 'Drums/Space'.

Overall, it was a fun time spent with good friends and respite from the day to day worries of life. YMMV...

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    Big'Uns and amstrtatnut like this.
  6. tnvol

tnvol Ufologist Silver Supporting Member

Did Bob wear shorts?

amstrtatnut likes this.
  7. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

Noice.

8. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

He wore a muscle shirt pictured in this thread but, I couldnt see what he was wearing. There was only one projection screen.

9. WineCaster

WineCaster Supporting Member

Born in ‘87 so I never had the opportunity to see GD but as a fan of the music I can’t imagine a better offering than D&Co. I saw them in 2017 at Wrigley and 2018 at Alpine. I’m taking a break this year to catch Phish (first time) at Alpine but will definitely be wishing I could catch a Dead show as well. Can’t say enough good things about em!

johnnyb128 and amstrtatnut like this.
  10. PdL

PdL Silver Supporting Member

How many tabs did you take @ those recent JRAD shows?

11. c7sus

c7sus Member

No tabs.

It was obvious that the Cuthbert crowd was higher than average. Really great crowd too.

The second set started with Marbles> Here Comes Sunshine> China Cat>TLEO>back into Sunshine>Help>Slip> Stranger>Slip>Franklin's>Good Lovin' and the encore was Quinn The Eskimo.

I'm confident the band was hip to it that the place was high af.

Marymoor wasn't nearly as spacey as Eugene. The show started an hour earlier and the place has a 10pm curfew. Cuthbert has a vibe that Marymoor can't hold a candle to.

We're going back down for the Oregon Country Fair to see Phil and Zero. We've never been and are really looking forward to it now.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    anxiousmofo likes this.
  12. jakethesnake

jakethesnake Supporting Member

I saw D&C twice, 2016 and 2017. I enjoyed both shows.

Opening night the setlist on paper looked amazing. They played most of my favorite songs. I just listened to a clip of Playing > Shakedown. Playing didn't sound bad but Shakedown seemed extremely show. I know they've been playing slower tempos. 2018 seemed a little bit faster than 2017 but this version was the slowest I ever heard!!!

Looks like John and Bobby are using different amps this tour. John has one of his Dumbles and Bobby has what looks to be 2 Vox's. I liked John's tone the best when I saw him in 2017 with 1 Dumble and 1 Fender, not sure of the models. I really enjoyed Bobby's tone with the Fat Jimmy amps.

I'll be catching John solo at the end of July.

13. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

I was at both Hollywood Bowl shows over the last couple of days.

[​IMG]

Tonekat, Big'Uns and karmadave like this.
  14. stanshall

stanshall Member

in the back of a dream car twenty foot long
    I also was pressed into going to both Hollywood Bowl shows, but I had a fun time, had no unrealistic expectations, tempos needed goosing without question, but it's nice to hear the songs played, been a few years, everybody enjoyed himself/herself, drum baffles blow, John Mayer acquitted himself well, they have quite the repertoire, I wonder whether they can up the tempos a bit ... great stuff compared to the other stuff out there, the deep connection between audience and material remains unparalleled, respect the effort, and of course boffo at the box-office ......

amstrtatnut likes this.
  15. Lance

Lance Member

That's because it's built on a sanitary landfill. Literally a garbage heap.

PdL and jkendrick like this.
  16. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

I've always liked Shoreline. See some great shows there. The Annual Bridge School Benefit was a regular road trip for years. I do admit that the grass can be a bit dangerous in the rain.

17. direwolf

direwolf Supporting Member

Cocaine bad...slow songs good.

18. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

I like Otiel a lot. But I also dig describing Lesh's playing a "borderline maliciousness."

Yup. I enjoy D&C and am bummed I won't be seeing them this year. I like Mayer's playing, and honestly, he's a stronger vocalist than anyone in the Grateful Dead.

Lotis likes this.
  19. johnnyb128

johnnyb128 Member

Interesting bit of trivia i learned today about Shoreline: the opening in '86 was to be two shows by the Dead but Jerry went into that pesky diabetic coma and the shows were cancelled. Here's the poster for those shows that never happened (can purchase on Wolffgang's if that's your thing)

Just a couple years ago I learned that Shoreline was designed by Bill Graham around the Dead's Stealie, as seen from above. Fun! Someday i'll be versed in absolutely all arcane Dead knowledge.

20. kralltime

kralltime Gold Supporting Member

I was at both Shoreline shows - seats right behind the sound board. Night 2 second set blew me away... mix was fantastic, energy was out of this world..