Who else saw Dead and Co this weekend?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by amstrtatnut, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Last night at Jiffy Lube Live in Bristow, VA was a blast! A taste of the encore below (Mayer sneaked in some fun acoustic lead lines - I liked it but my wife heard the guy in front of her tell his SO "that's Mayer showing off" :p ).

Interestingly, some songs were slowed down, others not at all. E.g., Throwing Stones was slowed down, Hell in a Bucket played full speed.

Tonekat likes this.
  2. johnnyb128

johnnyb128 Member

My brother lives on the East Coast and I couldn't make it out there for the Bristol show so I streamed it and "watched" it with him via text messages. It was fun, I thought it was a fantastic show, maybe better than the 2x Shorelines I saw this year but could be some of that was the added comfort of my sofa. Mayer's solo in Hard Rain was the highlight for me but he played with fire all night, very impressed. Only complaint was the transition between China>Rider which was basically none at all, they stopped China and started Rider.

Most of this show I thought was high-tempo and high energy unlike earlier years. I recognize your username and know from past interactions that you're a bit put off by the slow tempos so I'm glad you got one that was above average tempo-wise.

Great band and I think they're getting even better. I'm looking forward to next tour already.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  3. Lotis

Lotis Silver Supporting Member

Ya know I am sure Garcia would say "What's the point?" It is all RE creation and homage. That's cool for a bar band doing the tribute thing. Like Dark Star and others doing exact GD sets from a certain show. Gimme a break! This is like McCartney calling himself The Beatle & Co.

4. johnnyb128

johnnyb128 Member

Nah, you're wrong.

Before you say it, I saw the Grateful Dead many, many times. With Jerry. I love Jerry, he's my favorite player and always will be. But I've got no problems with what they're doing here.

For one, D&C is no "bar band" doing an "homage", it's comprised of 6 individuals where 3, members of the Grateful Dead mind you, have been touring for 50+ years and are in the R&R hall of fame, sold millions of records and played massive shows like Woodstock+selling out stadiums the last 6-7 years of their existence...and 3 others who have 20-30 professional years in the industry touring and recording...one with multiple grammys. I'd LOVE to see THAT band in a bar doing an "homage" to anything....lets say pizza. Unfortunately, I think you know that'll never happen.

Secondly, nobody will ever know what Jerry really would think but here's my take. Considering he's the one that said something along the lines of "once I play it live, it belongs to the world and they can do whatever they want with it" I think he'd have no issues with his friends touring under this name and playing these songs whatsoever. The man killed himself to keep the everyone in the organization in paychecks, you think he'd mind that Weir et. al are touring on songs that they played a part in creating? No, it doesn't make sense.

Is the name bothering you? Because the band used the actual name for the last time in 2015, hence, they're not calling themselves the Grateful Dead now. But with 1/2 the band being original members, playing all Dead songs, what do you propose they call themselves that would get people in seats, based on name recognition, that doesn't "disrespect" the name that belongs to 3 of them anyway?

Also, last time I checked, McCartney was playing 80% Beatles songs on his tour. What's the difference what it's called if the music is Beatles, or Dead or whatever? Is he performing an "homage" to the Beatles in your mind? In my mind, he is the Beatles. It's the closest I'll ever get to the Beatles. If you don't like Mayer/Weir/or whatever, think it's a money grab, whatever else is in the litany of negativity when it comes to things like this, that's fine, but why rain on other's parades?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  5. slybird

slybird Member

This post on Reddit amused me.