Who else thinks Steve Morse is a genius?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by gregm99, Sep 16, 2011.

1. sleshnyc

sleshnyc Supporting Member

he's one of the best live guitar player i've ever seen hands down. His ability to change style, tone, sounds, lines is amazing. And he's a great writer and a great guy. i've probably seen him 15 times over last 30 years. never fails to put on an amazing show.

2. Allen in San Jose

Allen in San Jose Member

Yeah, he's really an amazing player. I love how versatile he is too.

3. Tmac1957

Tmac1957 Member

Saw him with the Dregs several times. He writes some incredible material, and when you see him live, he is all smiles and looks like he is just having a great time....in spite of the intricate passages. Has been a solid influence to my playing for decades

4. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    He set the bar so high, it's just totally outta sight! :huh

5. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

I love Steve's playing. I have seen the Dregs, Steve Morse Band and Deep Purple many times over the years and he was phenomenal every time.

IMO Deep Purple made some of the best music ever put on record. Blackmore is/was awesome. However, the newer Deep Purple is really great too. It's different for sure, but still some really great songs on those albums. Check out any of the four studio albums with Morse and I will say that they are much better than the 3 with Blackmore that preceeded them. (OK, nothing will touch the first MK2 records... )

And yes I have met Morse a few times after gigs and at NAMM and he was always really cool. In fact his long time bass player, Dave LaRue, is pretty much the same way.

6. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I dont know about the genius part...but he is a friggin' KILLER player/composer.

When I think of his versatility and volume of work, Pat Metheny comes to mind as a SM peer...who I think IS a genius.

S.
    j

7. pold

pold Member

Genius? Of course. Let's not forget the two albums he made with Kansas, two masterpieces, Steve Morse/Steve Walsh was the perfect pair, unfortunately they made only 2 albums, but for me that's enough to call him genius. He's one of those musicians who never gets mentioned because he excels in many fields and normally pop musicians are too scared of those ones, you can't put him in a box, therefore you can't get a lot of money out of him (from a label's point of view). If I had to listen to only Deep Purle and Dregs I would consider him yes a top musician, but since I heard carefully what he did with Kansas and the Steve Morse band, I have no doubts he is a genius. In my top ten, after Hendrix I would put him together with Malmsteen, Gary Moore and Brian May.

8. tommyg

tommyg Member

I recall reading an old Guitar magazine that interviewed both SM and RB (it was a Deep Purple special edition or something like that...).

Not trying to hijack the thread but here's my favorite Deep Purple/Steve Morise tidbit: Steve was quick to add of the respect he has for Ritchie but added that JON LORD was the most amazing musician he's ever seen, adding that he had the "greatest set of ears" he's ever known on a musician. He further stated that anything he's played Jon quickly duplicates it and harmonzies with it on command. Jon also keeps "the Book of Truths" which is a log book used in practices/rehearsals that he refers to when the band quarrels over what key a song is in, or what the changes were (and he notes these in musical notation!)... As I recall reading, Steve noted that Jon would say something to the effect "Let's see...according to the Book of Truths that chord was an F#m7...". Just fascinating stuff!

9. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

Now Jon Lord, he is unquestionably a genius!

10. GerryJ

GerryJ Member

I saw his trio when that album came out, incredible band. He's always good on record but live it goes to a higher level.
    Since genius is 1% inspira 99% perspira you'd have to say yes, he is a genius.

In Texas, EJ opened for Morse back then (1984), and I'd see Morse intently listening to EJ from the side while warming up. He wanted EJ to join his band soon after, EJ declined, but they did record some tracks together, a song called 'distant star'. As you may expect, they have high regard for each other.

11. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Member

12. tnvol

tnvol Ufologist Silver Supporting Member

You can mince words all you want about the guy. He is a badass. Plain and simple. Def a top tier musican.

13. Gril Grissom

Gril Grissom Member

Steve is a very special person. His great talents have amazed me for years.

i would also like to give him a shout out for being a nice , and caring person!
    A few years ago, i learned the a GC across town was having a free Ernie Ball clinic with Steve Lukather & Steve Morse! Lukather being my long time fav, and Morse too.
    i tried to get someone to drive with me to enjoy this (and because i usually don't drive the freeways too much anymore cuz of my condition) No luck in finding someone, so i made the trek across town, where i used to live and the GC. i was totally amazed with 2 great players how small the crowd was , good for me, bad for GC-the Steve's were cool and took time to talk to the 30ish people that were there.
    i told Morse as i was in my wheelchair that i had driven a ways to see them-my first time driving myself in such a distance in years , and that i had immensely enjoyed their performance and appreciated them doing this. Luke was nice and talked with me about various things, but Steve Morse was genuinely concerned after learning that i'd have to drive my way back (in the dark too) , and he gave me some common sense driving tips. :)
    Yes a musical genious, and a even greater person!!!

14. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

I love Steve and Rik(who also doesn't get nearly the respect he deserves).

15. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

Word. Rik gets it done live, too-singing lead and covering all the guitar chores. Up there with Geddy for live performance brain-splitting abilities.

16. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Some time in the mid 90's I was at the House of Blues in Los Angeles with Hellecasters first out , and I was thinking it was pretty much impossible to top this after picking up my jaw after an hour of Telecaster heaven, but man did Morse deliver!

17. Rockett

Rockett Member

Me!

To think he did not make the Rolling Stone top 100 is ridiculous!!

I still listen to high tension wires!! He is a brilliant song writer and as unique as can be as a player!!

18. Ethn Hayabusa

Ethn Hayabusa Member

There is no musician that I respect more. He is the high water mark of versatility, both as a player, and as a composer. Nicest guy in the business, as well.

19. beanbass

beanbass Member

Hearing the What If album in the summer of '78 changed the way I play music. I sat there listening to "Night Meets Light" in headphones over and over. I couldn't believe it. That was the beginning of the obsession.

20. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Definitely a genius. Wouldn't surprise me if his IQ is above 160.
    The guy quit performing for a while to be an airline pilot.
    "I'm sick of all the music industry ********, I think I would rather fly 747s full of people around the planet".
    Sheeeeesh................