• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Who gets reverb from a delay pedal ?

Billy Idle

Hey, this is what I do because every reverb pedal I have tried in a band context has had me drowned (my use of tenses may be wrong) into the mix.
I have used a Flint, a Wet, a Faux spring and a Topanga. The only one that did not have me sat back in the mix was the Solemate Jr. But it is huge...
So I just use reverb at home. And replace reverb w/ a short delay, which has the opposite consequence : I stand in front of the mix and this is what I'm looking for, generally speaking.
Maybe it is because I harly play clean...

Anyone sharing the same experience shall chime in.. :waiting

Mufftastic

I am interested in the pedals you use and their settings. I've been messing with my carbon copy and I can get a reverb-ish sound to it that I liked better than my reverb pedal.

Repeats set to 8:30-9:00,
Mix set to 9:30-10:00,
delay set to 9:00

Heady Jam Fan

I use an old Ibanez AD9 - its dark & washed out, so its in the background leaving my main signal to come through clearly, but it doesn't distort much really.

I set the delay time to the highest setting, which is also the most lo-fi (dark) and washed out (very much in the background - felt, not heard) - its the least percussive setting. I set the repeats about 75% of the way up - each repeat gets darker, giving a nice thick ambience behind the notes I'm playing, but its not so long it gets muddled. I set the level so its felt & not heard, but just below where you start hearing repeats (about 35% of the way up).

SirGilmour

Silver Supporting Member
I have recently been using the CBread Echorec as a reverb. I just cant ever bond long term with reverb,

Multicellular

The bigger the room, the more I turn the reverb down and compensate with delay. Really big, and I dont use either.

That is a result of doing live recordings more than anything I ever heard from my vantage on stage.

Kinda makes sense though when you consider the original reason we made analog reverbs.

jordane93

Sometimes I use my Carbon Copy as a reverb. The repeats and warm and dark and the mix knob is perfect for dialing in a faux reverb sound

JasonElGato

Me, currently a Mooer Reecho on tape mode as my poor man's Belle Epoch. Does surprisingly well. Will upgrade to a real Belle if I gain the board space. Will upgrade that to a real EP-3 if I gain a money tree. :)

jrjones

Silver Supporting Member
I use a RV5. I want it for that thick reverb sound. I run an analog delay to thicken stuff up without changing how I sit in the mix.

I use a Deluxe Memory Man in "vibrato" mode for some slight modulation on the repeats...it's crazy how it sounds like there's some reverb happening behind the echo and it fills out the sound better than any single delay pedal I've ever tried. In comparison, my EP-3's sound more direct and dry, but still awesome in their own right. So I tend to use the DMM for cleans/rhythm and the EP-3 for more heavily distorted stuff.

Mr. Limbic

I use my Timefactor for cool hall sounds witht the multi tap algorithm, try it if you have one or an h9, it's beautiful. Also using my aex4 with multihead for some rverb ish textures with low mix

Nota

Another vote for the CC "pseudo verb".

I have an FRV-1, and it sounds good, but in a live situation I almost never use reverb. It gets lost and muddies up my sound.

crawz

A verb-like response from a delay is right at the very edge of their capability. Not even the Timeline gave me as much room with the mix control as I'd hoped for and wanted. I got it expressly so I could explore its smear potential. The pattern machine was the best bet there that I found. It was cool. But still percussive at anything beyond 8:45 on the mix.

I'm unlike most all others in that I never gave a rip about percussiveness from delay/ echo. That's the last thing I want to sense... the repeats being in the mix. They're just a nuisance to me. They've always limited how much I can use any delay or echo. But a reverb isn't as naturally ethereal sounding as delay. Also, (as mentioned) a verb will move things further back in the mix.

This whole business is lofty territory. All delays/ echo will want to react to the attack transients and in turn generate percussiveness. Here we have my version of a perfect bummer. How to defeat them? Placing a verb or compressor in the loop of delays that happened to have them... this has never proved to be a satisfying solution. It also always added white noise. Using a multi-tap unit or cascading two or three delays to achieve more or less the same thing... this is about the only decent option left. Placing a verb in front of the delay and aiming to dumb down the transients in this way helps some... but not enough IME.

If I was fine with swelling in everything with a volume pedal I'd have had my solution decades ago. But I don't want that constraint in things full time. And I don't even really want to hear the swell-in effect as a part of things. I simply want a smooth ethereal tail. More territory with the mix. A supremely effective echo hardness control.

Not easily done. I've searched far and wide. Thrown huge dough at this over the past 30 years. No single rack or pedal does this well IME. There is no free lunch here.

voorhiessa

I also like a healthy dose of faster modulation when doing this. Favorites are the DD7's modulate mode and DL4's tube echo mode.

MogwaiBoy

I don't get it. If a reverb pedal is burying you in the mix... just turn the Mix knob down and get more dry signal coming through? As long as the pedal has analog dry-through, which many do, you can be as buried or un-buried as you like.

meowmers

Me, currently a Mooer Reecho on tape mode as my poor man's Belle Epoch. Does surprisingly well. Will upgrade to a real Belle if I gain the board space. Will upgrade that to a real EP-3 if I gain a money tree. :)

I'm a Belle user and I love the Belle but i'm really not doing it justice by setting it washed out. It sounds the best when it's slightly cranked on the REC Level and the mix turned up a little.

Otherwise, my dmb is doing a fantastic job at the washed out delay verb-sounding thing:phones

Seegs

Hey, this is what I do because every reverb pedal I have tried in a band context has had me drowned (my use of tenses may be wrong) into the mix.
I have used a Flint, a Wet, a Faux spring and a Topanga. The only one that did not have me sat back in the mix was the Solemate Jr. But it is huge...
So I just use reverb at home. And replace reverb w/ a short delay, which has the opposite consequence : I stand in front of the mix and this is what I'm looking for, generally speaking.
Maybe it is because I harly play clean...

Anyone sharing the same experience shall chime in.. :waiting

If you hardly ever play clean than a reverb pedal in front of your amp is not the right thing...I used to use a Demeter Reverbulator RVB1 analog reverb and it was great as long as I stayed clean...the minute I introduced amp or pedal gain it got soupy...

I sold it and picked up a Maxon AD9 pro analog reverb pedal and use it as a pseudo...always on...reverb pedal for clean playing...

I set it like this....

Time: 3oc
feedback/repeats: 10oc
level: 10oc
Single

Its perfect...if I play clean it's like verb and stays in the background...if I kick on a dirt pedal it becomes a delay and more prominent...

Sometimes I don't really notice it's on but I really miss when its off...

Chow,
Seegs

Matts Tone

I've tried a few reverb pedals now & all though some quite good (Hermidia reverb II & Dr Scientist reverberator come to mind as the best reverbs I've tried) they still had that digital sheen. I much prefer using my Maxon AD900 for any of my reverb style tones - also my amp has a built in reverb which isn't too bad either.

FuzzFaceJ

I love hearing my delay and I love spring reverb, or no reverb if in a room with awesome acoustics. I always thought the purpose of using a delay is hearing it. the trick is learning how to "play" it like it's an extension of your guitar. then the repeats sound like natural extensions of your playing.

but it is possible to dial in a delay to sound more like an echo of a reverb. however, I've never been able to get quite all the way to what a sping tank can do.

but this is guitar playing, there is no real right and wrong way to do most things related.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom