Who gigs a Tech 21 Trademark 60?

89strat

I've been gigging with a Blues Jr Tweed, which is one of the newer models. It's not terrible, but I really miss my Deluxe Reverb. However, I like the smaller portable lighter weight of the Blues Junior, for gigging, and really don't play large venues, mostly smaller bars or clubs. I've always been interested in a Trademark 60, due to size, weight, portability, and I like the DI out if I need more volume. I read more criticism of the Blues Junior than praise, and more praise of the trademark 60 than criticism. I would be running them fairly clean with pedals in front, so how would they compare in terms of volume and in terms of overall sound. If you prefer one over the other, why? Am I downgrading if I go to a Trademark 60 from a Blues Junior?

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
I had a TM 60 a few years ago. It was good for lower gain stuff, but for mid-gain rock it sounded sterile and stiff compared to a tube amp. It really depends on your style of music and what type of tone you are ok with.

GenoVox

Gold Supporting Member
Always liked the Trademark 60s... (had a couple over the years). Probably my favorite sounding SS Amps of all time

In fact, I recently picked up a Power Engine 60 and a FlyRig 5 (v2) to run through it... loving it so far.

BlueRiff

I’ve gigged the TM60 quite a bit. With the boost function it has plenty of power. I always love the tone and never think when playing it that I wish I had a tube amp. My best time hearing it was at an open mic when this young man got up onstage to use mine with his Gibson SG and proceeded to bust out a bunch of blues rock covers including Allmans, etc. He had an incredible sound for both clean and a warm, singing OD and used nothing but my amp with the foot switch. He was running direct into the PA and the sound man had a really nice mix coupled with some cab volume coming off the stage. I couldn’t believe it at the time. Needless to say, I believe in the Sansamp circuit now!

peter_heijnen

I'm not giging with the tm60 anymore but i used to do quite some time. I remember arriving at a gig once with just the tm60 and the bandleader asking me why i didn't bring a decent amp. During the gig however his eyes became bigger and bigger. ;)
I used the cabsim out for the PA because it's fool proof: no 'soundman' will ever be able to f#ck that up.

Why i don't gig it anymore? Because i love playing my 212 rig more at the moment.

Aslan

Gold Supporting Member
TM 60 is one of the all time great amps, played one for several years. Now I have fallen in love with the 5E3 circuit and use a Fender 57 Custom DELUXE.

JHL

Used one gigging with a heavy band for years, still have the amp, I think it sounds great but if you are not familiar with it take a few minutes to get to know the master tone and channel controls.

Lauri Vennonen

Silver Supporting Member
I remember going to band camps that had TM60s and Fender Hot Rod Deluxes. The TMs sounded ok quiet but couldn't really compete at louder volumes. Ok for coffee house gigs, not so much if there's loud drums.

BlueRiff

I remember going to band camps that had TM60s and Fender Hot Rod Deluxes. The TMs sounded ok quiet but couldn't really compete at louder volumes. Ok for coffee house gigs, not so much if there's loud drums.
Every situation is different I suppose and it could be our drummer is not really heavy handed. I’ve found the TM60 to have plenty of volume unmic’d in decent sized rooms. Maybe outside unmic’d would not be great but I’ve been able to use it in unmic’d situations with full band including keys and it came over the top just fine. Probably the most I’ve had the volume was 75%. I never dime any SS amp as a matter of policy though. ;)

briwinters

I've been gigging with a Blues Jr Tweed, which is one of the newer models. It's not terrible, but I really miss my Deluxe Reverb. However, I like the smaller portable lighter weight of the Blues Junior, for gigging, and really don't play large venues, mostly smaller bars or clubs. I've always been interested in a Trademark 60, due to size, weight, portability, and I like the DI out if I need more volume. I read more criticism of the Blues Junior than praise, and more praise of the trademark 60 than criticism. I would be running them fairly clean with pedals in front, so how would they compare in terms of volume and in terms of overall sound. If you prefer one over the other, why? Am I downgrading if I go to a Trademark 60 from a Blues Junior?
Have only tried a Trademark 60 once but I’ve been gigging FlyRig 5s for years. Tech21's gear is totally gigable and bulletproof in my experience....the SansAmp stuff direct to a PA has never caused me any grief. Even if you buy or don’t buy a Trademark 60 having a FlyRig5 in your gig bag is a great great backup for your pedalboard and/or your amp live.

The real reason I’m posting: any reason you’re not considering a ToneMaster Deluxe Reverb? I know, big price difference between that and the Trademark 60. But it seems to check off everything you’re looking for, especially with you saying you miss your DR. Might be a worthy investment if you’re gigging.

89strat

Have only tried a Trademark 60 once but I’ve been gigging FlyRig 5s for years. Tech21's gear is totally gigable and bulletproof in my experience....the SansAmp stuff direct to a PA has never caused me any grief. Even if you buy or don’t buy a Trademark 60 having a FlyRig5 in your gig bag is a great great backup for your pedalboard and/or your amp live.

The real reason I’m posting: any reason you’re not considering a ToneMaster Deluxe Reverb? I know, big price difference between that and the Trademark 60. But it seems to check off everything you’re looking for, especially with you saying you miss your DR. Might be a worthy investment if you’re gigging.
In all honesty, I probably have no real reason. The ToneMaster does check off just about every box for me. I can't get past the price being that high for me. Even used, these are the same price as a really good used Deluxe Reverb. The reviews are so mixed on the ToneMaster, I really would love to try one.

Steviecaster

In all honesty, I probably have no real reason. The ToneMaster does check off just about every box for me. I can't get past the price being that high for me. Even used, these are the same price as a really good used Deluxe Reverb. The reviews are so mixed on the ToneMaster, I really would love to try one.
The Deluxe sounds better than the TM, too. The TM isn't bad, but the Deluxe is better. TM is really light.

briwinters

For sure try one out and judge for yourself. Lots of the negative feedback I see on the ToneMaster is when people are doing non-blind tone tests with it and a tube Deluxe. It's easy to let your eyes effect your ears, it’s just human nature. Also keep in mind you wouldn’t be doing a direct comparison with a tube Deluxe and a ToneMaster at a gig....the real question is if the amp on its own does the job you need it to do.

And apologies if I slightly hyjacked the thread a bit.....Tech21 makes some excellent stuff. For sure you could gig a Trademark 60, it’s a very viable choice especially if cost is a factor.

GenoVox

Gold Supporting Member
Regarding the Tonemaster Deluxe vs DRRI... I think it depends on how picky your ears are

My buddy (an old bandmate) and I did a “blind” test as soon as GC started letting people in

With our backs to the amps... both of us were able to pick out which was which.

The TM sounds good, no doubt... but definitely more 2D and less responsive - kinda “fake” TBH

YMMV

Jim234

TM60 stacked with a Power Engine 60. Cool looking stack. Oh why did I not keep it. Great pedal platform.

Pastafarian

I think the Trademark amps are fantastic. I gigged with a TM120 for awhile but ended up using something much lighter because that thing was one of the heaviest (weight wise) amps I ever moved.

Trademarks are great catchall amps that do what they do very well. Something like a Deluxe or Blues Jr only do really 1 thing well. So if you are looking for diversity over pure tone you won't be disappointed in the TM60.

Trending Topics