• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Who gigs their vintage guitars and amps?

WordMan

Wax Rhapsodic
Platinum Supporting Member
Yes

Previous owner in 1976 and 2010s

I’ve heard there’s a 12,000-character limit on these posts. No risk of hitting that here!!

Granted, I do enough talking for the entire darn Forum - not looking for that from you, but do you have maybe a previous thread you can link to where you’ve shared about it, or can you share a bit more here?

It is a truly superlative burst.

84Bravo

@hogy did that smoked ‘54 Strat come out of Iowa, by chance? I saw one there about 25 years ago, a very early one with the serial number on the plastic trem cover. I passed on the guitar, but bought the ‘67 Super Reverb. I’d never seen another maroon maple smoker’s neck until now.

Pete Cage

To the original question: Yes. Not always, but often. At various times:
'59 ES-345
'57 LP Special
'51 ES-5N
'65 ES-330
'67 Country Gent
'60 LP Junior
'52 LP ('56 conversion)
'57 ES-225
'58 J-160E
'67 ES-335
'69 LP Deluxe

Probably more; that's all I can recall off the top of my head. People roundly ignored the guitars, which was a marked contrast to the group of aficionados who hang here.

I remember taking the LP Special to a blues jam one time. Major paranoia at the time. Played great, sounded great, and nobody paid any attention at all. Except: As I was leaving, an older fellow leaned over to me and said, "That little yellow guitar... it sounded pretty good."

KiddBilly

I used to rotate between gigging with a 73' Super Reverb and a 75' JMP Marshall, back when I still had both. That was a few years back. I still wouldn't hesitate for a second to gig with similar gear, if it played and/or sounded good enough.

My oldest piece of gear at the moment is a 79' Carvin DC-150, and I don't think twice about taking that out anywhere to play.

WordMan

Wax Rhapsodic
Except: As I was leaving, an older fellow leaned over to me and said, "That little yellow guitar... it sounded pretty good."
Man - love your set!! Some great stuff.

And yes - I did a few of my open mics with my ‘46 J-45. No one asked about it - they don’t speak guitar nerd there ;)

hogy

Silver Supporting Member
To the original question: Yes. Not always, but often. At various times:
'59 ES-345
'57 LP Special
'51 ES-5N
'65 ES-330
'67 Country Gent
'60 LP Junior
'52 LP ('56 conversion)
'57 ES-225
'58 J-160E
'67 ES-335
'69 LP Deluxe

Probably more; that's all I can recall off the top of my head. People roundly ignored the guitars, which was a marked contrast to the group of aficionados who hang here.

I remember taking the LP Special to a blues jam one time. Major paranoia at the time. Played great, sounded great, and nobody paid any attention at all. Except: As I was leaving, an older fellow leaned over to me and said, "That little yellow guitar... it sounded pretty good."

We like pictures, you know?

crashbelt

Silver Supporting Member
Here's my goto gigging guitars/amps.

Late 50s GA8 GA18T GA77. 8w 14w 25w so I use the one best suited to the venue.

1962 SG Special, and 1959 Les Paul Special tuned for slide.

I have gigged others but these two are the perfect players for me.

bluejaybill

Silver Supporting Member
I am going to be playing Barney’s in the near future ;)
That would be fun! We expect a video, with you playing all of Barney's licks perfectly!;)

That reminds me that I was once at a guitar show and I played a famous jazz session player's acoustic guitar (I think it was Barney's). It was a beat but sweet early '30's L5. To this day, it is one of the finest sounding guitars I've ever played. The neck felt modern, and the thing rang like a bell. I thought I could hear all of those motion picture swing dates in there!

WordMan

Wax Rhapsodic
That would be fun! We expect a video, with you playing all of Barney's licks perfectly!;)

That reminds me that I was once at a guitar show and I played a famous jazz session player's acoustic guitar (I think it was Barney's). It was a beat but sweet early '30's L5. To this day, it is one of the finest sounding guitars I've ever played. The neck felt modern, and the thing rang like a bell. I thought I could hear all of those motion picture swing dates in there!
As I mentioned in the other thread, Bruce offered to let me play Barney several times during our lunch, but given the timing, he had my Isanas to focus on.

At one point as we were passing the Isanas back and forth, he asked me to play. I feebled through a couple of T-Bone Walker licks and then said “Hey, do you know any Chris Isaak songs?” and played and sang a bit of Beautiful Homes off SF Days, something I can actually pull off. He laughed with me and said he loves Isaak.

Bottom line: I plan to baffle him with archtop rockers and sidestep all the playing over changes I can!!!

strumminsix

Regularly used to gig:
64 vibroverb
68 dual showman reverb
74? bandmaster reverb

few others too over the years. as i like a flatter fingerboard, never bonded with vintage gutars

hogy

Silver Supporting Member
@hogy did that smoked ‘54 Strat come out of Iowa, by chance? I saw one there about 25 years ago, a very early one with the serial number on the plastic trem cover. I passed on the guitar, but bought the ‘67 Super Reverb. I’d never seen another maroon maple smoker’s neck until now.
No, it's a Houston, TX guitar.

relix63

Gold Supporting Member
I don't actually have any gig pics because I have very few gigs these days. Even when I do no one shows up so finding pictures is a challenge. I did have the opportunity to play a small Labor Day festival this year and used the gear below.

54 Strat & 80 Boogie.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom