Who gigs with a 4x10 Bassman (Victoria, Fender, etc.)??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dewman, May 16, 2008.

1. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

I'm a Marshall guy at heart, but love the tweed sound, just never owned a decent tweed for playing in a band. I didnt know if the bassman 4x10 from Victoria would cover the same sonic ground as my Germino Club 40, or a Classic 45/JTM45 (probably a more fair comparison given the circuit similarities).

I like the tone of the bassman and the added sag makes the leads sound like someone singing, a great cleanish blues tone but I've never played them in a band context and was thinking of getting a used Victoria 4x10 Bassman. Any thoughts on this amp, Vicky's in general for playing blues and blues rock, and how they perfoem live in small to medium rooms unmiked (w/ or w/o pedals).

2. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

3. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

I have recently switched to an EL84 based amp for a Voxy tone, but for a couple of years I gigged with a Fender Bassman RI (early one) that had been PTP converted with a Hoffman Kit.

Still have it and will likely never sell it. It is an amazing tone, I just currently really dig the Sommatone that I am using.

It will cover the ground of a JTM 45 (never heard a Germino, so I can't say), but will be a touch cleaner until you really crank it.

I switched mine over to a 5U4 Rectifer (more sag, earlier breakup) and 5881 Power tubes. I also run a 12AY7 in V1 and a 5751 in V2. This combination tames the volume a bit, causes it to break up sooner and the tone is smoother and a touch darker than a stock, 5AR4/6L6/12AX7 bassman setup.

The bloom and sustain are heavenly and the punch/clarity and projection of the 4X10's are wonderful.

A friend has a Vicky version and loves everything except the Speakers. he is experimenting with different speakers for now, but he loves the sound of the old Eminence Blue Frames that are in my Fender. Adds to the Smooth, Darker tone that the tube combination gives me.

I really like the amp with the inputs jumpered, and you can alternate between an INput 2 for small rooms and and INput 1 for larger rooms. It sounds great at lower volumes with a OD good pedal or use it alone if you can crank it beyond 5 or so.

4. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

The Victoria 45410T Tweed Bassman clone with Weber speakers I had sounded gorgeous. But it was just too much amp for me without some sort of attenuation. It sounded pretty good with a Weber MASS though. One of the best sounding Strat amps I ever played through. Kinda' wish I still had it but I couldn't play anywhere around here with it unless I used the MASS. It had tone for miles. Another thing to keep in mind if you're a Marshall fan...Marshall initially copped their sound from the tweed Bassman. So, they're pretty closely related.

Tom

5. sideman

sideman Member

I'ne used alot of 4x10 Fenders, including various Bassmans. But I don't understand what it is you want to know. The Vic is great stock for medium rooms.

6. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I just picked up a Vicky 45410 and its a killer amp! Superb clean tone and sweet break up when pushed. Much more warmer than the Fender RI and breaks more musically without the harshness typically found with RIs. Has a ton of pop oozing with rich harmonic content and is a pure guitar straight in amp. Takes clean boosts well and my delays have almost never sounded better through a clean amp.

Although,

I'm interested in trading or selling to sizing down to a 1x12 combo possibly a D13 JRT, EDT, or CJ11. Or even something else similar...

7. 59Bassman

59Bassman Plank Cranker Silver Supporting Member

I love my RI. I did the bias mod and put in a tube rectifier. It kills with P-90s. It is a LOUD amp, if you're playing smaller clubs you may want to consider a Bandmaster instead.