Who gigs with Epiphone Les Pauls?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Fifthstone, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I have an Elitist LP Standard, which is outside of this discussion.

I'm wondering how many of you gig with the standard MIK or MIC Ephiphone LP's and what your experiences have been. How have they held up? How good or bad ARE those pickups? What about the weight? I've read most of the HC reviews, etc. but still am not sold on this.

Basically, I'm trying to decide whether I want to have an LP built from Warmoth parts (more expensive but much less than a Gibson) or try out one of those new plain top LP's, which are supposed to be made of solid mahogany and have some other upgrades.

Thanks for any opinions.

2. codeorama

codeorama Member

My reccomendation would be to get a used LP Studio.

3. Miles

Miles Member

I gig w/ Epi semi-hollows with new pickups. I like the sheraton and the supernova. I have a couple gibsons, but I love these. You don't need a $1000+ guitar to write good tunes or have good tone.

Oh, and my friend gigs w/ his all stock epi les paul standard. Sounds good through his Hot rod deluxe.

I mean, don't get me wrong, it's not pristine tone, but it's solid, warm, and husky.

4. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

Chris Duarte was using an Epi LP on tour (might still be).

5. stump

stump Member

I've used my Epi Goldtop at a bunch of gigs and it sounds and plays fine. I did "pot" the pickups to get rid of microphonics. I think the Elitist has better pickups than the standard models. Maybe buy a standard Epi LP for cheap money, make sure it plays nice, and put some new pickups in it. The LP is about $400 and the pickups about $150 depending on the brand.

6. Miles

Miles Member

Trent Reznor was using Epiphone LP's on the last leg of the With Teeth Tour. He'd smash a couple each night, but they must be good enough for his music.

7. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I guess it's all about finding a "good one" (though to do online) and tweaking it here and there to bring it up to snuff. Thanks for the feedback.

8. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

J-Ho was also using an Epi...a 335. He used it on SNL too if memory serves. Good enough for Joshua Homme, good enough for anybody :D

I saw Heart on PBS, and Ann Wilson was rocking an Epi Paul. She didn't suck either.

9. frank62

frank62 Member

i do. it's an '04 transamber. mahogany body and neck with veneer flame top. this one is the non rs, ri, vos, wcr, long tenon, plecked model. used it at a festival over the weekend and not one person commented on the lack of the mentioned upgrades and features.

10. Sarg_29

Sarg_29 Member

I gig with an Epi Sheraton II all the time, it has lovely tone feels good and has become my favorite....

11. bek

bek Member

I know a guy who gigged tons internationally in the 1970s with very well-known bands. He used to use Ibanez Artists, mostly, very carefully adjusted. He started occasional gigging recently, and he considered his Artists "not ready." So he bought the cheapest Epi LP clone -- the bolt-neck -- and put a Tone Pros bridge assembly on it. That's all he did, and he was satisfied for over a year before he took the time to get his Ibanez working.

12. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

Right now I am making a warmoth lp. I have the neck and am saving up more money for the body. I am making a warmoth because I like being able to taylor the guitar to whatever options I want. I also like having no name on the headstock.

13. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I believe that Ann is actually endorsing the Epi Les Paul Ultra, it is chambered and the back is sculpted, it wieghts about 6 lbs and i have tried one and it plays great and is very easy on the arm, not to mention the pocketbook, 500 bucks. Cant say much for the pickups, I think they sound great but i would probobly be in a minority on this Board....Just kidding.

Check out agile and sx both sold by rondomusic.net i know i push this allot but they get rave reviews and sell set neck les paul copys for real cheap (200 bucks) and i am sure with what you save you could buy a great set of pickups.

No i am not affilitaed with Agile or Rondo music

14. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

Yes

56 Goldtop reissue, p-90s. All stock and sounds great.

15. bradyd

bradyd Member

The Guitarist for 3rd Day used a ton of them at a recent show. But beware, he does endorse them and there is no telling what he has done to the ones he actually uses or who builds them. Case in point, he had a stack of Epiphone triggerman amps on stage but was actually using 2 Marshall's hidden behind them facing the other direction. The Epiphone amps were not even plugged in!!!

16. Avenger

Avenger Member

:rotflmao

I have the same model from 1994, though mine could use some new pots and pickups. Despite not having rs, ri, vos, wcr, long tenon, pleck, nitrocelulose, old growth mahogany, eastern maple, cts and orange drop caps, it has a great acoustic tone and sustains for days. Mine is a keeper.

17. 6stringgrind

6stringgrind Member

The bass player in my old band had one. I used it when we toured. It sounded great. I even recorded with it. The engineer even said, "That's a great guitar."

Everything was stock, with the exception of the tuners. There are great Epi's out there. It's just a matter of finding one.

18. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I used to gig with an Epi Custom 57 RI Mahogany (It was the only one I've ever seen). The thing sounded great, but didn't play quite as good as the Gibsons.
    Like most, I'd recomend saving a few hundred more and get a used Studio. They can be had for the $500 - 700 range and are great.

19. Miles

Miles Member

Me too, I sold a Gibson explorer to get it.

Ironic I guess. They're just so pretty and perfect and played better than both $2400 335's in the store.

Huh...

20. Miles

Miles Member

Yeah, I saw that, he uses it a lot, but I'm sure he puts Duncans in it.