Who handwinds the best P90?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by PlexiBreath, Nov 7, 2005.

1. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I'm looking for the bitchenmost soapbar style P90 aquireable. The following have good reputations:

Jason Lollar
    Dave Stephens
    Harmonic Designs
    TV Jones

Any P90 freaks here can recommend a good winder? This is for a set neck mahogany body and neck guitar, like a Les Paul Special DC. I'd like the bridge pickup to sound like a good 1958 Les Paul Jr. Not looking for anything too hot, vintage accurate would be best.

2. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Thanks for the link Greg! But at his site he doesn't mention anything about P90s. I know Rolph's reputation with Strat and humbuckers is outstanding.

3. 2x6L6

2x6L6 Silver Supporting Member

I am on a similar (though long-term at this point!) hunt for P-90s for my Heatley. In addition to your list I am also considering:
    Bare Knuckle
    Haussel
    Lundgren
    Wolfetone
    Please keep posted on your search

4. Yek

Yek Member

You forget to add the Lindy Fralin P90's. I have them and they sound good. Look them up in the HC review database.

5. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Also, does anyone know if Tom Holmes winds P90s?

6. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

I've always heard in comparisons that HD does the best modern P90's and Jason Lollar does the best for Vintage sounds.

I think I'd probably send it to Lollar since you want the vintage tones.

That, or you could just get an old ES 125 from that era and swap out the pups.

7. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Thanks for the great replys guys! Anyone else with suggestions?

8. Greg

Greg Supporting Member

Don't forget Peter Florance at Voodoo. His humbuckers are well-regarded, I have heard his strat and tele sets, which are both great - clear yet not anemic.

I have Voodoo p-90s in my chambered Koll, and Lollar p-90s in my solid Baker. The Koll sounds a bit more open, richer harmonics. I don't think it's just a function of the chambers, because I had Lollars in there before the Voodoos.

Greg

9. 2x6L6

2x6L6 Silver Supporting Member

I forgot all about Voodoo! Another one that I spaced is Pete Biltoft Vintage Vibe A mate from another list always highly recommended his P-90s.

10. Dave Bacon

Dave Bacon Member

I have Lollars in my Thorn and love them. Very cool

Dave

11. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Well I placed an order for Lollars. After a conversation with Jason Lollar decided to go with the standard set, but he does offer a lot of custom winds for P90s, even one voiced sort of like a Strat. I found him to be very knowledgable and concerned with the minutia of the craft of pickup winding. I'll report back to this thread when I get them installed and heard them through all my amps.