Who has a Bogner XTC w/classic mod?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by War Admiral, Jul 9, 2006.

1. War Admiral

War Admiral Member

I'm kinda gassing for this amp lately. Talk to me about it and how does it compare to the 101b.
    Chris.

2. derekmitts

derekmitts Member

i had my 101b modd'd to the classic a couple of years ago. i absolutely love it. the 101b is great too tho'.

the tones will be about the same, however, most people i think will agree that the clean sound is better on the classic.

for me, it's more of a feel thing. the 101b almost plays itself. the compression just makes is easy to play, sustain is effortless, and it is less dynamic.

with the classic, it's more open, aggressive, (think more of like a jcm 800 feel). you have to work a little more with this amp, it's less forgiving. the main thing i disliked about 101b was the dynamics. when i'd try to dig in or hit the strings harder it just seems to compress more. this is probably a desired effect for some people but just not for my style. the guys at bogner will tell you that the 101b is more suited to the legato style players.

hope this has been some help. ever since i've had mine modd'd to a classic, the amp search has ended. which is good because now i can focus more on my playing!

good luck!

3. Madsman

Madsman Member

I have a Classic, and I'd say the other poster summed it up pretty well. The amp is a little more of a fight to play (which is something I prefer) and has a little less gain. There's less compression making it sound fuller. Both amps are great... I chose the classic because of the opensound, which I think will mix better with my bands (both of which are on break until the end of July, so I haven't even gigged this amp yet). Both are very fun to play.

4. sylvanshine

sylvanshine Member

I agree with the posts so far. I owned a 101B for several years. Bought a Classic and it quickly became my gigging amp (101B for rehearsal space). Last year I bought a 101B that was modded to a Classic. It became the #1. The Classic moved to rehearsal and the 101B was sold.

I have found that the right tubes make all the difference. Chinese 12AX7s have the most gain. Especially noticeable in V1. I like the big plate Svet 34s for power.

Also, haven't found a better speaker for my taste than the V30.

Now if we could only get Reinhold to build an amp with the clean channel from the Shiva and the blue channel of the XTC. That would be the ultimate 2 channel amp in my book.

5. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

This is great as I am GASing for a classic myself! I currently own a Mark IV combo and a Fuchs TDS 50, both of which I like, but I think I will like the Classic more...I am going to play through one this week hopefully....

6. War Admiral

War Admiral Member

This is what I like to hear. It looks like I will be picking one of these amps up very soon with the Bogner cab. I like an amp with that open sound and responds well to attack. I'm sold:D
    Chris.

7. slo100

slo100 Member

I have an XTC 100B which is what the Classic is modeled after. I agree with the above assessments and had the same experience when comparing to 101Bs. I have enjoyed owning it and it is my gigging amp.

Unfortunately this past weekend it consumed about 8 oz. of Miller Lite during a break at a gig (drummer's errant elbow). The good news is I was able to dry it off and keep going and it ran like a champ. Nothing like pulling your amp chassis out of the head box on stage and working on your amp in front of everyone.

8. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

Cool...I defintely want one now!

9. deluxemeat

deluxemeat Member

i personally prefer the 101b. the old new switch really does allot to open up the sound while letting you be able to go back to a more modern setting if you need it.
    i agree w/ what was said. the classic you have to really dig in more while the 101b pretty much plays it self. high speed on ice basically.

10. Lution

Lution Member

If only we could indeed. :drool

11. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

I prefer the Classic over the 101B by a country mile!
    I have owned two 101B's and have played half a dozen others.
    There is absolutley no way I would ever own another 101B
    now that I've played/owned/experienced the Classic.
    Ya, a touch more gain with the 101B, but all mids and not enuff articulation
    and very little bottom. The Classic wins (for me) hands down! More articulation,
    better and more bottom end with superior clean channel. The 101B has a horrible
    clean channel.
    The worst 101B's are the ones with the cab switching option.
    I also own two Xcty 100B's and I prefer my Classic over them too.
    However, the 100B's have more gain than any other Xtcy I've ever played!!

keith

12. Supercubziggy

Supercubziggy Member

I have a 100B that i got from Bogner when he was making them out of his house. Dirt for days. Other amps have come and gone but the 100B remains. What preamp tubes are you guys using? Bogner has always used Chinese tubes, but Sovtek LPS seems to be a trend. Who's done some experimenting? Any thoughts......?

13. slo100

slo100 Member

That's interesting. My experience has been the 100B does not have as much gain as the 101 series. This is one reason I liked it so much. Maybe it's all in the ears.

So what's the difference between a classic and a 100? I have never compared them side to side. What's better about a classic?

I am using Svetlana '34s and a mixture of Chinese and a couple NOS Raytheon labeled preamps tubes. To my ears, the 100 is the pinnacle of the Ecstasy series but again, it's all in the ears.

14. tijean699

tijean699 Member

hey bogner buddy,s,,,,i have the xtc classic too i find mine really easy to play but i cant compare it to the 101b cause i never played one but a buddy of mine just got the 101b and is now for sale so he didnt like it for shure,,as for tubes im liking the jj e34l for now they have a tighter sound and more complexity in the higher register,,but for preamp tubes i found nothing that sounds better then china tubes c9,,i have hundreds of NOS tubes usualy ill stick some sylvania or rca in v1 or v2 and anny amp will sound better but not on this amp , this amp will sound good with china tubes only go figure,, if anny of you guy,s have found beter sounding preamp tubes for this amp please let me know...

15. adrenalinejunky

adrenalinejunky Supporting Member

I like the C9's too, but found a Mullard CV4004 in V1 and Mullard 12AX7 in V2 along with C9's in the rest of the slots to be my favorite combination.

16. tijean699

tijean699 Member

thanks for the reply i think i have 1 or 2 cv4004 but i think they are brimar not mullard i did try mullard 12ax7 in v1 and 2 but i still find the c9,s better sounding..i find that they have that bite and wen i try anny other tubes i loose that bite if you know what im talkin about..so i need a preamp tubes with more bite i heard that jan ge 12ax7wa might give me what im looking for,.,.

17. flyangus

flyangus Member

I have to put in a vote for the 101B. I A/B'd my 101B with a Classic and much prefer the 101B, the Classic was too much of a fight for me especially on the Red channel - it didn't have the saturation and sustain I'm used to on the 101B, even with the gain dimed it wasn't the same as the 101B even at 11 o'clock.

The clean channel on the Classic is good, but I'm not sure it's 'better' than the 101B - I like the grit and compression on the 101B. The Blue channel is great, very open but a little lacking in gain for me. In general I would say the 101B has plenty of low end but it's more of a compressed 'blooming' low end whereas the Classic was more 'bell' like low end (to me).

The other thing that clinched the deal in favour of the 101B was the dual presence controls, I found I was compromising both Red and Blue channels on the classic without it.

Just thought I'd chime in for the 101B, there are a few of us that prefer it over the Classic!:D

18. tijean699

tijean699 Member

hahahaha you just had to screew up this thread now didnt you LOLOL hehehe,,..,well its a bogner so it must sound good foe shure..

19. tijean699

tijean699 Member

the classic does have alot of bass,, i find myself having to tweak it allot to get a tight bass out off it but thats ok more is always better ,,i had amps that didnt have enough bass and that was unworkable..

20. flyangus

flyangus Member

LOL!

Well, I just thought the original poster should know the Classic is not a 'better' amp, just different:AOK

But, I still think both are great amps.

It's funny, I had the same thing with chinese and NOS preamp tubes and kept going back to the chinese ones!:messedup