Who has a Gig-Rig?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Sid, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Sid

Sid Member

And what do you think of it???

Do I have other options in the same price range??

cheers
    Sid

2. Dennis Rayburn

Dennis Rayburn Supporting Member

Well, the WOBO Proglooper has many of the GigRig functions, and just about all of the GigRig functions that I would use.

It's got four loops and six channels (plus one bypass channel). You set up each channel with little dip switches like on the GigRig and you can use each channel in a On/Off or Add mode. It's also considerably more compact than the Midi 8. Very useful pedal that I've been gigging with for at least two to three years.

3. Sid

Sid Member

how do you use your effects with the proglooper?

4. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I've tried to look at other options and there some really cool ones out there
    But,
    I've decided to just spend the cash and get the best and that is the GigRig Pro-14.

5. Sid

Sid Member

I think the Gig-Rig is quite fairly priced considering the pre and post boost and modulation features etc right??

But out of curiosity - what are the other options??

the 14 is great but its too big and i dont gig much so i dont see a use for it..the 8 is more something ican play with and organise my board....:drool

6. Dennis Rayburn

Re-reading this it sounds pretty complicated but if you plan out how you like to use your sounds, what combinaitons of pedals you use, it's actually pretty simple to use once you get it worked out.

My wah, volume pedal, tuner and reverb pedal are before or after the ProgLooper.

I play a PRS Swamp Ash Special so I switch between HBs and SCs from song to song as needed.

ProgLooper Loops:
    Loop 1 - Sniper GE-7 (Boosts level when I switch to single coils)
    Loop 2 - Menatone WMB + Stage Hog (rhythm crunch loop)
    Loop 3 - Chupacabra + ZVex BOR + DD-6 (lead loop)
    Loop 4 - ModFactor + Analogman BiCompRosser (modulation & compression loop)

ProgLooper Channels:
    Channel 0 - all loops bypassed
    Channel 1 - Loop 1, 2 and 4 active [SCs, rhythm crunch & mod & compression]
    Channel 2 - Loop 2 active [Rhythm crunch]
    Channel 3 - Loop 2 and 4 active [Rhythm crunch & mod & compression]
    Channel 4 - Loop 3 active [Lead]
    Channel 5 - All loops active
    Channel 6 - Add Loop 3 [adds the lead loop to whatever else is active at the time]

For a given song I have to make sure that I have the right pedal(s) activated within a loop. If I want a HB sound with mild OD I use Channel 2 with the WMB on. If I want a stronger crunch I use Channel 2 with the Stage Hog on.

If I want single coil, phaser and compression, I activate channel 1 and make sure the WMB and Hog are off and that the modFactor and Compressor are set correctly.

If I want single coil with some dirt and no modulation or compression, I use channel 1 with WMB on and the ModFactor and BiComprosser off.

I'm frequently on channel 2 playing humbuckers with mild OD (WMB on) or crunch (Stage Hog on).

I can switch to Channel 4 for a lead sound. The DD is always on. I can do Clean channel on the BOR for a clean lead or Chupacabra for a very distorted lead.

If I'm on channel 2 playing rhythm using the Stage Hog, I can activate channel 6 which leaves whatever is active (in this case channel 2) on and ADDS channel 4. This boosts my Stage Hog sound for a lead (usually I'd do this with the Clean side of the BOR).

Channel 5 is sort of a safety net - it makes everything active and I control it all by each pedal. I hardly ever use channel 5. I may change it to some more usefull combination.

Hopefully this is all somewhat clear. If not, let me know and I'll try to clarify.

Dennis

7. Sid

Sid Member

wow very detailed very helpful....how did u plan all of that...i am having a hell of time figuring out what i need thinking of the number of sounds i want etc...

8. mrodrigues

mrodrigues Member

I'm curious, those of you who do use these programmers - they sound really great, but what about pedals with tap tempos, or like a tim that has a bypass and a boost?

9. Sid

Sid Member

im guessing that would have to just be an additional tap...although not recommended?

10. Dennis Rayburn

Well, I'm very analytical (I'm a chemical engineer) so I lay out all the possibiltiies on spreadsheets and narrow it down to a few good ones. Then I go though our song list to figure out what kind of mid-song changes I make (like from rhythm to lead or from clean to dirty) and if I can do that with a single stomp on the ProgLooper.

Here's the matrix of the set-up I'm currently using (hope this shows up correctly).

Channel->........................0.........1.........2.........3.........4.........5.........6
    Loop 1 Sniper GE7....................X.........ON...........X...........X............X..........ON.........X
    Loop 2 WMB+Stage Hog...........X.........ON..........ON........ON..........X..........ON.........X
    Loop 3 Chupa+BOR+DD............X...........X............X...........X...........ON........ON......ADD
    Loop 4 ModFactor+BiComp........X.........ON...........X..........ON..........X..........ON.........X

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  11. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

12. Dennis Rayburn

Yeah, the GigRig is way too big for me too. If it was sized more like the ProgLooper I'd definitely use it. My board is already 30"x16" and I wish it was smaller.

I used a Musicom controller for a while. The probem I had with it was that you only have access to four combinations at a time. I actually had a chart set out in front of me at gigs so I could locate whcih bank I needed to be on for a specific song. That was hard enough when we followed our set list and it got a lot harder when we deviated from the list and called out tunes.

I also can't run entirely off a controller because of multi-function pedals I use: those with boost switches (Stage Hog, Box of Rock, WMB), two-in-ones (BicompRosser) or multiFX (Eventide ModFactor).

One thing that really helped me was to list the chain of effects I needed for each song we do. Then you can start grouping effects. If you have 8 pedals and a separate loop for each one, you need a lot of "channels" to get all the possible combinations. Then you might find yourself grouping them on your channels anyway.

That's how I ended up with my digital delay in my lead loop, because I use it mostly for leads. If I need it for a non-lead sound, I just engage the lead loop and make sure the other pedals in that loop (Chupacabra and BOR) are off.

That's also how I ended up with the ModFactor and BiCompRosser in the same loop. On a lot of the 70s disco funk we do I like phaser and compression together. And I can use them individually by switching one or the other off.

Sorry about rambling on so much on this thread, but I spend and have spent a lot of time thinking about how best to manage my effects in gigging situations.

Dennis

13. Sid

Sid Member

I actually just wanna get a switcher and wire up my board...its GAS really because I am currently looking for a band after leaving my old one...so gigging is not really happening..so i dont NEED it...i just want it:p

maybe i should wait???

How are the pre and post volume boosts??

and the modulation that they talk about?