Who has a loaded Area 51 Wah? Teese WOF?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jamison162, May 26, 2008.

1. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

I've had a standard A51 and loved it. I've tried the Budda but that's it in the last few years. Vox, Fulltones, etc., etc. don't interest me. And the only Teese I'm interested in via clips, etc. would be the WOF wah.

My question is would a loaded Area 51 be as versatile (could it possibly do) the WOF thing? Or are they too different. Which of these two would you go for as the end-it-all wah.

Also, I'm assuming the loaded A51 has a "bone-stock" setting and that all the other settings are just ear candy.

Thanks!

2. lv

lv Supporting Member

I had the loaded A51, and got my favorite tones by dialing very different from stock. It is a great wah. I have some clips in my sig.

3. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

The WOF is it's own thing..I would say the A51 would only have half the sweep of the WOF.You can stay on the bottom side of the WOF and get traditional Jimish,claptonish wah but you can sweep the wah complete and get the funk/zappaish sounds .I have one with the new pot and current revision board that is very user friendly and can not imagine it getting any better..Quiet and smooth.. Have you ever heard an RMC2?? It won't do the wheels but it is where the externally adjustable wahs came from.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66RaVatZER0

4. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Yeah, didn't care the the RMC2. Lou, did you get rid of your A51, if so, why? Or do you ever keep anything...hehehehe.

5. lv

lv Supporting Member

I keep everything, for a little while :)

I sold it when my Landgraff wah was nearing completion. Other than the Landgraff, the Area 51 is one of my favorites, I might get another.

Check these clips:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6034092
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5963888

6. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Boy did I take the bait..I told Teese to charge $450 for his wahs.Makes them sound better...

7. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

I luv my Area 51 and have said it here many times. I will own no other. My search is over.

8. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

I had an Area 51 drop in kit in an old Crybaby and it seemed kinda bleh to me so I sold it. Is the actual Area 51 that much different soundwise? I know it has a shedload (hey, self-censorship woo hoo!) of options and knobs and things while the kit was just a one-trick pony. The kit didn't sound a lot like the clips I've heard of the A51 wah either...clips sounded really good.

Just got a WoF though, and it is very much it's own thing -- I love it and that's essentially my search over. very wide sweep, quite vocal, but with a nice edge to it. Best wah I've used yet...

9. drolling

drolling Member

mmm.. You sure you installed it right? The difference when I dropped mine into an '80s Dunlop CryBaby was nothing short of stunning! And I'd already swapped out the original inductor & "true" bypassed the switch - But after loading the A51 pot & board it's become one of my all-time favorite wahs..

But this is TGP, afterall. I'll be getting one of those WoFs someday:drool Already have the RMC Pic (and an old VOX and a Budda, etc...), and they're also pretty hard to beat if you like 'old-school' tone:AOK

10. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I have the fully loaded Area 51 and it is the best wah tone I've had. I had a Supa Quack LE, old Pic Wah, Keeley Vox847, Fulltone Clyde, old Cry Baby.
    I'm gonna guess I'd love the Landgraff, but I don't even want to hear it at this point.:p

11. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

It's pretty much a no brainer to install--the whole thing was prewired. I didn't really like the crybaby, but was surprised how disappointed I was with the A51 kit. It was different for sure, but not knock your socks of great (like the WoF).

12. drolling

drolling Member

Hey, I'm just a musician - I've only learned enough about electronics & luthiery to do my own small mods & repairs after having too much of my gear fxxked-up by professionals.

This thread has only got me jones'in MORE for the WoF! I guess 6 wahs isn't too bad afterall...

13. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

i love my area 51 wah, i have a buffer and growl control but i run it stock (ie. buffer off and growl full up) it's the perfect wah for me...! i'd recommend it for sure...

14. muddy

muddy Member

i have ser# 000, and it's STILL on my board 4-5 years later. it STILL makes me go DAY-om every time i step on it. but i knew what i wanted when i had it made. & i devised the basis of it's sound on an rmc3, btw. great wah.

ml

15. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

YMMV, different strokes, etc.

Tried an early WOF. HATED it. It couldn't come close to making the sound *I* want to hear when I step on a wah. Also had an RMC3LE for a long-ish time. For kicks, I dialed up the WOF settings. Still hated it.

Got the A51. Love everything about it. If it *could* get in WOF territory, I probably wouldn't like it so much!

BTW, I'm not knocking on the WOF. I've heard great clips from muddy, carl, and maybe others. It's just not my thing.

- DB