Who has a “Mike Ness bassman”?

MissoulaGriz

Hey @sickboy79, being that we're both big SD fans, what type of OD do you typically use to hit your Bassman with? I've tried a few with my '67 but haven't really found "the one." For more hard rock tones I've used my Rat but it's pretty finicky, especially when the bright switch is engaged. My Bassman is un-modded by the way.

sickboy79

Hey @sickboy79, being that we're both big SD fans, what type of OD do you typically use to hit your Bassman with? I've tried a few with my '67 but haven't really found "the one." For more hard rock tones I've used my Rat but it's pretty finicky, especially when the bright switch is engaged. My Bassman is un-modded by the way.
I've used a bunch with great success. A few standouts:
Lovepedal Eternity Roadhouse
Skreddy Screwdriver
AM KOT
Clark Gainster
Original Frantone Hep Cat

I set the Bassman up for the overdriven tone (Ness modded or un-modded). Basically a great RnR crunch a la SxDx, AC/DC, etc. I'll set the OD up with the Level/Volume control up. Usually over unity gain if I can so I get a boost for leads. Then start with the gain at zero and slowly dial up until I find what I'm looking for. I don't want the pedal to be too saturated as I'm getting the main OD tone from the amp.

Dexter.Sinister

Still breathing
Gold Supporting Member
There was a Bassman mod some years ago that turned one channel into a Marshall-like channel, the other was stock Fender. It was quite popular.
Al
Our own Ron Ott of King Amps did something like this sorta kinda with his Rock Expression mod. I had him do it for me and played that thing to death. Really great voicing and a true gigmeister. The variable negative feedback was truly useful.

It left my hands when my wife divorced me. If you find one, grab it!

Darbarian

I like my Suhr Riot through my 66 Bassman. I also run a soul food so I can get dirty at a more home friendly volume. Mine is bone stock.

john l

Supporting Member
People have been modding the bass channel into something marshally forever. Thats not what's happening in the Zoom Bassman. Its a cool circuit that doesn't resemble anything like any Marshall or Fender.

Edit
I mean resemble fender or marshall "circuits" not sound because it can sound like both

Last edited:

Guitar Dave T

I can definitely help. I know Adam Grimm can do the mod but, Mike originally had the mod done by Billy Zoom (of X fame). The mod effects the Bass channel only. Essentially it ups the gain just a bit, brings out a bit more midrange and high end. But it still retains that Bassman voice. The circuit is definitely different than stock though. Cleans up really well with the volume control. You could check with BZ to see if he would mod it for you as well. It's my favorite amp of all time. I can do just about anything on it. It's a killer tone. Mike now has Fred Taccone of Divided By 13 mod and service his amps (not sure why he switched - maybe BZ was on the road a lot?). Fred's mod also adds a master volume that BZs do not have. But, my understanding is the circuit is the same.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.
Judging from your description, it sounds like everything I wish blackface and silverface Bassman could do. Don't get me wrong, I love playing a Gibson guitar through a cranked 60's-70's Bassman, I just always thought they could stand a little more upper mids and high end slice.

LordByron

The Dude abides!
Judging from your description, it sounds like everything I wish blackface and silverface Bassman could do. Don't get me wrong, I love playing a Gibson guitar through a cranked 60's-70's Bassman, I just always thought they could stand a little more upper mids and high end slice.
My (much missed) '68 Drip Edge 4x10 Bassman was nothing (well not nothing...) but upper mids and high end slice. And that is NOT a bad thing. :D

AL30

It used to be common practice to mod the bass channels make them more usable. Switching it to a more "marshall" sound isn't too complicated and it's easily reversible. You can also just up the plate resistor and get more gain if that's what you're after. I don't have any experience with the Mike Ness mods. Are the different from these?

john l

Supporting Member
It used to be common practice to mod the bass channels make them more usable. Switching it to a more "marshall" sound isn't too complicated and it's easily reversible. You can also just up the plate resistor and get more gain if that's what you're after. I don't have any experience with the Mike Ness mods. Are the different from these?
Yes much more then a raised plate resistor and not a Marshall or a fender circuit. The power amp and PI have elements of them but I’ve never seen what billy does in another amp. It’s kind of a medley of a few different circuits that work really well together.

JFGrn

I can definitely help. I know Adam Grimm can do the mod but, Mike originally had the mod done by Billy Zoom (of X fame). The mod effects the Bass channel only. Essentially it ups the gain just a bit, brings out a bit more midrange and high end. But it still retains that Bassman voice. The circuit is definitely different than stock though. Cleans up really well with the volume control. You could check with BZ to see if he would mod it for you as well. It's my favorite amp of all time. I can do just about anything on it. It's a killer tone. Mike now has Fred Taccone of Divided By 13 mod and service his amps (not sure why he switched - maybe BZ was on the road a lot?). Fred's mod also adds a master volume that BZs do not have. But, my understanding is the circuit is the same.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.
Sounds like its basically a Blonde Bassman 6g6b now.

john l

Supporting Member
Sounds like its basically a Blonde Bassman 6g6b now.
There are some similarities with the 6g6b in what the Normal Channel gets turned into along with the power amp but not the ness channel preamp. I own a 6g6b too and am also currently posting in the bassman bunch thread about combining it and an AB165 for any that are interested....god I love bassmans