Who has a real 59 Gibson Les Paul?

sam7

Any members here? or any famous guitarists, builders or anybody whom you know have a real 59 Les Paul?

xjojox

Tardis-dwelling wanker
I know someone with a '59 burst. Keeps it under the bed, never touches it. His plan is that he will sell it when he retires; essentially the axe is his 401k.

GuitarTone

Here's my buddy holding one, it's known as the African Burst, in incredible condition.
Sold to an American collector.

James

Love the African 'Burst! Have seen many pictures of it before. Great flame :drool and color :drool!

marko

I thought he claimed to have 2? Or is the second a 1960?
He posted a group pic of his guitars and I asked what the LP was. He said LP 1960. He took the pic down thereafter.

i meet a guy recently at a local jam who has a 1960 LP. He also has a 56 strat and an old custom, forgot what year.

my wife's cousin has an unmolested 1953 LP GT....

Last edited:

John Hurtt

Gold Supporting Member
Billy Squier, I believe, had either a '58 or '59 that was stolen out of a studio while he was recording in NY. He took it out, along with a ton of other vintage gear, whenever he hit the road.

amc

i have a friend based out of the santa barbara area that slings over his shoulder a beat up double gig bag that is filled with his '59 les paul and an olympic white 61 strat.

he showed up with my brother at a small club and handed me the '59 les paul to play through my matchless chieftain.

incredible old wood with a glorious sound.
the neck carve was virtually identical side by side with my unburst ia standard.

i have to say that many of the magically skilled luthiers who we know and love here at tgp are building new instruments that are comparable to the real 1959 les paul i played.

in no particular order, ian anderson, jack briggs, gene baker, johan gustavsson, terry mcinturff, dave mcnaught, etc, etc...............are all making superlative instruments that
can rival some of the revered old wood.

just my 2 cents from personal experience..............
ymmv

axemanjoe

Ted Nugent has two '58's. He used to take one on tour, I got to check it out a few years back. He keeps them locked up now.

Alistair6

James hetfield has a 59.. also a 58 and two 60s i beleive.. i think Kirk Hammett might have one as well.. i know there are several other famous ones

Silenmtium

I read an interview with Bonanassa a few days ago where he mentions that he bought a protective case for it. He also travels with an ex-secret service member when he takes it on the road.

Lublin

I read an interview with Bonanassa a few days ago where he mentions that he bought a protective case for it. He also travels with an ex-secret service member when he takes it on the road.
I guess ticket prices will be going up?!

Trending Topics