1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Who has a shiva combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bluesmain, Oct 4, 2006.

1. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

How do you like it? How are the cleans for blues /rock? Does it have good gain crunch? Am I right when I'm thinking wheels for this puppy?

2. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

I had a 2x10 combo, heavy as heck. Cleans when pushed were awesome, although the one I had was el84's and kinda rare.

3. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

I didn't know they made them with el 84's.

4. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Wheels will be good. I don't know how heavy they actually are but my 1x12 combo felt like it weighed 100lbs on a good night.

5. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

yeah, something like 30-50 of them, not many. They pop up rarely.

6. StevenS

StevenS Supporting Member

I really like mine. El34 combo with reverb. The clean channel is superb. Just wonderful. Play one and you'll know. The drive channel took a little more getting used to for me. I was expecting a Marshall sound, and while it does sound similar to a Marshall (EL34's) it has it's own thing going on. I find it to be a bit darker sounding. I usually run mine with the treble and presence set very high. (around 3:00). This works for me.
    I was initially a bit disappointed with this amp as I bought it off Ebay and hadn't tried it before and was expecting something else, but once I played with it a bit and realized just how good it really is, I was very happy with it.

Oh yeah, get the wheels. Trust me.:) It's a heavy sucker

7. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

shiva 1x12 combo 79 lbs...yikes

8. Alex_S

Alex_S Member

Same here: great clean channel. Crunch has it's own voicing. So it's a matter of taste if you like it (and I love it :AOK)

Ciao Alex

9. sws1

sws1 Member

I converted my combo (w/ CL80 speaker) to a head, and run it with a Bog 2x12 w/ V30s and casters. Much easier to move around, and much more vintage sounding due to the V30s. Rounder and less sizzle on high end. GOOD.

10. wopr

wopr Member

How loud do you need to turn it up to get into its "sweet spot"? I play medium sized venues where a Fender proreverb (40 watts) is always good, and a deluxe (20) usually works.

Is a shiva too powerful/loud for my needs?

Thanks

11. sws1

sws1 Member

All amps sound great at loud volumes, but the Shiva sounds great in the bedroom and almost any other level I play it at. I play in small clubs all the time and it sounds killer. Cuts like a razor blade.

12. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Well the amps made into town. I'll go pick her up tonight after work.