Who has a Skyway?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wichita, Aug 6, 2005.

1. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

Who here has a Skyway bridge on a guitar? I am very interested in these and want to get some feedback from those who are experienced..

2. muddy

muddy Member

lance, the only guys you're gonna find who've played one are the chapin owners. so you might want to post your questy in the luthier forum.

ml

3. Jim Wagner Pickups

Jim Wagner Pickups Member

I coulda had one by now, but I'm waiting for the slightly lower profile one that will work on a thinner axe. Muddy knows what I'm talkin' about.......;)

4. muddy

muddy Member

mate, call me later. i'm workin' on a solution for that... :cool:

ml

5. Jim Wagner Pickups

Jim Wagner Pickups Member

You bet. Yeah, I was gonna put one in an L6-S I have here, but the L6-S is actually more like a single-cut SG, and thin like one.

6. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I don't own a guitar with one yet, (soon to be rectified). But I've been to Rick's place on a lot of occasions and played all his guitars with the Skyway bridge on them. Since I've played them, I've not bought any Strat like guitar waiting for his bridge to be available. It's his engineering that sets the skyway apart from everything else out there. I'm actually surprised I don't see more technical questions on this forum about the drawbacks of all implementations of the "knife edge" kludge we've depended on for years.

So I'm now very excited that Rick finally has his sleek new production model out and in the hands of luthiers. His operation is still not ramped up to accommodate all those that want one, but it's getting there. I've been patient these last couple of years knowing what he's had to go through to develop this bridge to perfection, and have plenty of other guitars to get me by. But I've finally settled on a luthier I want to build my guitar and Rick and him are working out the details, it's all very exciting.

Rick is the idea guy. Considering his schedule it's no wonder he can't produce all the ideas he has in his head. A couple of years ago I came up with an idea to have a Skyway on a Les Paul, of course he had already thought of it and knows how he would implement it, but he has a full plate right now. But it's great listening to some of the ideas that may someday come to reality, the dude has clearly thought of everything.

With so much talk about his bridge it shouldn't be overlooked that he has developed a system that better couples the neck and body in a bolt-on style guitar for more transfer of vibration, anyone who is a fan of Chris Issac's guitarist Hershel Yatovitz, (Wicked Games), has heard this system in use, another example of how he is always developing ideas to squeeze an extra few drops of tone out of the guitar.

John Kelley Brown

7. casazera

casazera Member

I built 1X12 for Rick not too long ago and i have to say he was great to work with. His products look spectacular, i hope they do well for him.

8. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Wow, I just dialed in my next guitar purchase, and it's absolutely going to have a Skyway!

I've been following the development of another elegant piece of groundbreaking new technology, John Suhr's Silent Single Coil system and I'm very impressed. I've decided to have the marriage of these two very impressive technologies. John Suhr has agreed to build a Suhr Classic with the Skyway and the Silent Single Coil system. I'm just dialing in the small details like neck shape and headstock color. The body will be black cherry pearl.

I'm happy as a Freman in a stillsuit!

Kelley