who has a Tele with a CC neck pickup?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Patrick Ginnaty, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Patrick Ginnaty

Patrick Ginnaty Member

What combination of pickups, how does it work for what you do?

I've had a 60s Tele w/Gibson humbucker in the neck, and an 80s MIJ Tele w/Barden neck pu, but never had a chance to play a T style with a CC. I love the CC tone, and lean on the neck pu for 90% of what I do currently.

Pictures?

Here's Danny Gatton...
    [​IMG]

2. Ferret

Ferret Supporting Member

I have a Lollar CC in one of my Teles. I pair it with the bridge pickup he recommends; I forget the name. The CC works well cleanish for jazzy and jump blues numbers which is what you would hope for but can growl if you push into overdrive. In harness with the neck pickup, it works more or less as you would expect a Tele pickup to work and the neck on its own is fine for the usual applications, e.g., country. If I had a CC other than Lollar installed, say a T.K Smith, I'd still go for Lollar's bridge pup as a good pairing so long as the maker of the CC thought it would be a good match.

So I'm very happy with the idea of a CC in a Tele and might try a Smith in another Tele soon. I always put vintage spec pups in my Teles anyway so it's not far from business as usual for me.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  3. misterturtlehead

misterturtlehead Member

Another guitar player from Maryland, Chick Hall Jr, has a Telecaster with a Charlie Christian pickup in the neck position.

4. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

Tim Lerch has been using it in his #1 guitar for several years.

5. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

it didn`t work for me with a Lollar in an ash/maple tele.
    I could get a nice sound out of it but the amp would only give me a nice sound for bridge or neck ...not both.
    I had a Lollar vintage plus type bridge pup and the CC outweighed it considerably.
    I found the CC to be bumped in a certain high mid Q that took away from even dynamics and vocal expression across the fretboard . YMMV

6. DamianL

DamianL Member

Yeah, that sounds so sweet...

D

7. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

Pat - I have a couple guitars w/ CCs from Pete Biltoft at Vintage Vibe Guitars. I use a 50s-style bridge pickup, as opposed to the 60s which sound tighter and brighter. For me, the CC provides a big, clear, clean, bell-like tone (like a great strat neck pickup) that does the middle position really well, too. The CC is fat, but not mid-fat like a p-90.

I also have a pickguard and CC pickup for a project I have yet to finish, that was actually put together by Danny Gatton. My plan is still to use a broadcaster-style pickup, light pine body, maple neck...

8. urizen

urizen Gold Supporting Member

Caveat: I'm more of a casual/recreational player these days (band days are long behind me), and more jump blues than "pure" jazz. That being said, I've got the Lollar CC neck paired w/ his Special T bridge (Lollar's recommended pairing prior to his production of the CC bridge; dunno if it might be what WahmBoomBah was referring to) on an ash-bodied/rosewood-board Tele---works great for me (through a '63 1/2 BFDR, a Vibroking, a Top Hat Vibratrem and a Club Royale 2x12, all fairly "bright" amps) in all three* positions, albeit a different kind of "sparkle" in the "middle" position ... he also makes a CC bridge now as a match for the CC bridge (did you have a chance yet to listen to the sound samples on his site?)---

*(I've got the 4-way switching option by the way, and the 1st position/"blow" tone is really girthy/assertive, closer to an almost-raucous P-90)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  9. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

The Lollar I had was WAY too bassy. Tried everything to get it to not be as bass heavy, ended up selling it, telling my friend why I was selling it. He bought it, he sold it, same reason. Maybe I got a dud?

10. DRS

DRS Member

11. Srvwannab

Srvwannab Silver Supporting Member

I get the feeling he can play anything...

12. starjag

starjag Member

I have an Underwood with a Lollar CC neck pickup and a Don Mare tapped bridge pickup (both chosen by and came from Chad, no mods). Really nice!
    [​IMG]

13. mikeguy53

mikeguy53 Member

Man, that is sweet. Thanks for the post Jim.

14. Patrick Ginnaty

Patrick Ginnaty Member

It looks killer!

15. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

I have a Biltoft CC (probably because guitarmook recommended it) in an ash/maple Tele w/ a Fralin 50s style bridge pickup. I like it a lot.