who has a Weber Z-matcher?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by woof*, Jun 15, 2008.

1. woof*

woof* Member

[​IMG]
    i just bought one, got it yesterday.. and since there is no manual i need a little help with this. its probably obvious, but what is the proper way to connect this device?
    it's not marked "to amp"/"to speaker" like attenuators are.
    on the left marked "in" to amp? and the "out" on the right side to speaker?
    i have a 66 pro reverb 4 ohm that i've been using a 15" EVM 8 ohm for awhile, and i want to see the difference in headroom the Z matcher makes when i properly match these two. do i set the left side to 4 ohm and the right side to 8 ohm... to the evm? this seems logical...but i dont wanna mess anything up.
    i emailed weber but since this is sunday and i want to try this out now.. i am hoping one of you guys can help me.
    thanks
    randy

2. WaltC

WaltC Member

(my understanding is the same as yours, my Z-matcher didn't have any instructions either <G>) In is from the amp and you set the switch to what the amp expects to see (i.e. 4 ohms). Out is to the speaker and you set it for what the speaker is (i.e. 8 ohms).

Give it a go. I'd be surprised if you noticed much difference. A 4 to 8 ohm mismatch isn't a big deal to a tube amp, especially at low (non-stage performance) volumes.

3. kjrocks

kjrocks Supporting Member

Yes, you have it right. Hook it up exactly like you said. You will notice a difference too.

4. woof*

woof* Member

thanks for the answers guys! i just didnt want to do it backwards and have something very bad happen.

5. 5er Driver

5er Driver Member

Just want to chime in as I have one also. The amp's speaker output goes into the left side of the Matcher, the speaker(s) go into the right side. Set the Matcher's ohm adjustment knobs accordingly, the Matcher's left side to match what the amp is looking for and the right side to what the speaker(s) ohmage is.

6. harritone

harritone Supporting Member

Do you use 2 speaker cables or 1 instrument and 1 speaker?

7. harritone

harritone Supporting Member

I guess 2 speakers cables....... going out of the speaker tap into a speaker cab...duh

8. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

Yes, definitely use SPEAKER cables all around!!!

The funny answer to this question is "it does not matter" !! As long as you set the impedance knobs to the right settings, it will be fine.

9. docmh

docmh Member

The last post is correct. I have one too and e-mailed Weber with that question. They said it didn't really matter which side was amp or cab as long as the impedances matched. I wish I kept a copy of that e-mail because they explained the extra input, line out, and line out volume, but I forgot what they do because I never used it.