• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

who has an SG Special HH?

jcv

I just saw this model on the Musician's Friend website. I'm in the market for another inexpensive Gibson HH guitar to go along with my Les Paul Special Humbucker. I've been looking at LP specials, SG fadeds, LP studio fadeds... etc...

So I came across this and the price is great! It looks cool too.

any thoughts?

sgmarshall

got one Friday- loving it so far and my main gigging guitar is a 92 SG standard. very resonant, and I'm really liking the satin neck feel. I actually got this one in walnut (like the photo), and it looks exotic compared to cherry ones. This will not replace my main guitar, but as a back up/practice guitar- I love it.

sgmarshall

The baked maple is actually cool. I like the tight grain, almost like ebony.
Not a fan of circuit boards for tone controls, but for what I got it for, works for me.

omfg51

They are pretty awesome. I'd recommend a pickup change from the stock ones, but other than that, killer axes.

OotMagroot

Silver Supporting Member
Damn it... that's exactly what I've been wanting in an SG.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-sg-special-hh-electric-guitar

For $600... that's quite the steal! Although I bet it uses that new circuit board control system found in the newer Gibsons. Ick! Baked maple fretboard too.
Someone on the Les Paul forum posted a pic of the inside of their control cavity from one of these. NO circuit board! YAY! But.....it does have the baked maple apparently.

I would love to pick one of these up for a beater and band practices.

jcv

I played 2 of them at GC yesterday and I was very impressed! both of them played and sounded killer. What a great guitar at a great price - $499 at GC! Unfortunately it didn't hang comfortably on a strap for me. It balanced well but just didn't feel right - my gut has gotten considerably smaller over the past couple months and I thought I might finally be able to play an SG lol. Oh well, I really need to be comfortable standing so i passed.

I did bring home a brand new LP Studio Faded though! Got a great deal with the Presidents Day sale - $775 with a nice SKB case! NGD thread with pics coming soon!

iowa

Corn fed basement hack
Silver Supporting Member
I picked one up in walnut yesterday. I'll post a NGD as well. So far I'm digging it.

slogger

Without the tune o matic bridge or adjustable saddles is it possible to adjust intonation on these?

If you plan to leave the controls and pickups stock, then nothing. THIS being TGP - you're bound to want to change something out... but you can't because:

NHDave

Silver Supporting Member
If you plan to leave the controls and pickups stock, then nothing. THIS being TGP - you're bound to want to change something out... but you can't because:

On my sg faded, the harness wires going to each pickup are about two
inches long then are spliced to the pickup wires underneath the shrink
tubing... Just had to spend a little extra time stripping cleanly, but
it went pretty cleanly. shrink tubing large enough to cover the splice
& extra wires helps too.

seth3

Their quality seems pretty decent - I really want one.

P90's would require the routing mod. Opinions vary on this issue. I have two SG's and with HB-sized P90's.

sportoflife

Their quality seems pretty decent - I really want one.

P90's would require the routing mod. Opinions vary on this issue. I have two SG's and with HB-sized P90's.

I forgot about the hb sized p90.. I know they have a model with p90s stock but imo this one just feels better im a huge fan of the natural finish on my necks

Bieling3

Does anyone know if you can mount p-90's in these?
Probably could with some routing... but then why not just get a Sg Special '60s Tribute?

What guitar did this pic come out of? Looks like there are four pots there...

Mike9

Silver Supporting Member
I got mine yesterday - dark cherry. It needed the usual setup adjustment and now it plays quite well. The fretboard on this one is a little narrower than the neck shoulders by .0015" on each side. I didn't want to roll the dice on another one so since I bought this as a mod platform I scraped the sides flush. Now it feels great and is getting a "stinger" treatment and true oil on the back of the neck.

A set of Rio Grande H sized nickel P-90's and some decent electronics should do the trick. I might drill for another tone pot there is plenty of room in the cavity to do a standard SG layout.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom