Who has cut cable tv?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by cap217, Apr 29, 2016.

1. cap217

cap217 Member

My bill went from just under $200 to $260 now and it's just going to go higher. I have u verse 450 and all the movie channels and 4 boxes and Internet. It's never going to get cheaper so I'm considering internet only and Hulu but I don't know how that works.

Does Hulu get new shows or is there a log wait to watch something? What about sports? I like tnt and ESPN for sports.

Example: shark tank is new tonight. When will it be on Hulu? I don't care about shark tank but it's an example.

Give me some options from what you have learned?

2. 335guy

335guy Member

This has been discussed many times in the past. I suggest doing a TGP search.

Tom CT likes this.
  3. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

We recently did. Never going back. It's a change in how you watch, but to easy to get used to. Plus once you realize you can add and remove streaming services as needed you can keep the bill low. $53 for Internet, then Netflix , Amazon Prime (both of which I had anyway) and Hulu. All is under $100. That leaves a lot if I decide to buy TWD or other one offs.

MrLahey likes this.
  4. Raygun Gothic

Raygun Gothic Member

We cut the cable about two years ago. We still have Netflix, Amazon (my wife has a Prime account), and Hulu for the kids. I figured it would be a rough go, but I'd survive with just that.

Wasn't even an issue. I've barely watched TV in those two years and haven't missed it at all.

CubanB likes this.
  5. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

6. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

I've seen the (many) ads on TV for this new thing called TV Ears. it seems there are now channels out there that can be watched simply by having one of these miracle devices attached to your TV for $19.95 and you can have 2 of them by simply paying extra shipping & handling!

[this post was entirely tongue n cheek]

Rimbaud likes this.
  7. Sam Karnatz

Sam Karnatz Member

Netflix & Prime here. That's enough TV for me.

Find other stuff to do and spend the savings on gear.

Da Geezer and Jp2558 like this.
  8. hank

hank Member

I got tired of hearing my wife complain about cable so ............. she cancelled it. I play my guitar more now and watch PBS. Not bad.

bloomz likes this.
  9. watchingme

watchingme Member

Cut the cord two years ago. Yes, as others have said it changes the way you watch TV. I have Netflix and Amazon Prime. I can watch network TV on their website. If I really want to see current TV (ie The Walking Dead, etc), I buy it on Apple. Still cheaper than cable, in the long run.

10. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

4 boxes and all the movie channels dude really? do you need all of that? your bill could come down a fair bit if you got a grip on that. 1 box and maybe just run cable directly to the other tvs. sure you won't be able to get all the channels but you can get Shark Tank and many other shows.

11. Staticbuster

Staticbuster Member

After moving two weeks ago we cut. We really were only watching Netflix and HBO through our AppleTVs anyway. NBC and ABC are available w/ the AppleTV, but apparently not CBS or Fox. I'm still trying to figure out how to watch NASCAR and the NFL live. For now it's gonna be a free streaming site, but I hope to find an alternative soon.

12. cap217

cap217 Member

Can't do that bc it's u verse. Having 4 boxes isn't why the price is high. Having all the channels is nice though.

How much will I pay for what I need? And how do I watch sports?

Internet + Netflix + Hulu + HBO = $95

13. S1Player

S1Player Member

Never had it to cut.

84superchamp likes this.
  14. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

I don't watch football but this site shows you can pay the NFL directly to see high-quality streams of every game.

http://www.nfl.com/watch-nfl-live

I use a similar service for hockey and a friend used another for baseball in the past.

15. RoryGfan

RoryGfan Silver Supporting Member

I live in the country (ranch country) and have no "landline" anything. But, I love TV. (I worked in R/TV and had cable in 1970).

Don't feel like you need a perfect set-up immediately. You'll learn that as you go along. Next year, many new things will happen, as more networks come online.

Here's what I did (as I was in a situation like you and I am budget-minded):

Netflix, then invest $39 bucks in a Roku box (a one-time investment). Roku, in the most simple way, gives you Hulu for about $8.99 monthly. Again, after the one-time purchase, the Roku box is FREE.

I now get over 100 good channels via Roku, and all of them are FREE, including Amazon Prime, all major networks and most cable networks.

There is a once a year cost for Amazon Prime, but they often have it on sale for over 50% off a lot (Amazon Prime includes the free movies and TV, but also all Amazon stuff you buy ships 2nd Day for free and a bunch of more things, like books and such....for me, that saves me more than the cost of the service, especially at Christmas time.)

None of the aforementioned is a contract deal. You are not tied down or locked in to any contract. You can change anything and everything anytime you wish.

People sometimes get confused about Roku. For example, there are many Roku channels that each contain 10, 20, heck, 50 other channels. All of this is free. Now, Hulu offers a huge number of new and archived shows, all at one price per month.

Let's say that you are an X-Files fan: Every X-File episode ever is available anytime for free with your $8.99 Hulu account. Let's say that you dig new shows like "Shark Tank." They are available either the next day or exactly one week later, you simply have to check it out. Again, all part of your Hulu monthly fee.

"Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee" - again, all episodes free if you have Hulu.

Let's say that you've just seen "Archer" for the first time and you love it. Well, every episode is on Hulu.

If you are a classic film buff, great documentaries and the Criterion Collection is on Roku....again, free.

If any of the above is incorrect, I apologize. I'm just saying what I do. Your mileage may vary.

Last up is telephone. My home phone is Straight Talk from Walmart. Unlimited calls and long distance for a flat $16.02 a month. Again, no contract. My mobile cell, with unlimited calls and unlimited long distance is $6.86 a month....again, no contract. No, my cellphone does not rent movies to watch on a screen the size of a credit card for $5 or $10 bucks a pop. I am forced to watch them for free on a 46" HDTV.

Man, I've been there, and the above combo works for me. It is all very simple with no "tricks" or hassle to sign up and/or use. It's almost a zero learning curve. It's easier than learning the intro to "Smoke on the Water."

One last question: How do I find out what is on every channel and what time they are on? Darn good question. TV Guide offers a nice, free, guide. Plus, for Hulu and Amazon Prime, etc., just go to JustWatch.com...they do that for free.

Sorry for the long post, but soon you'll see 4K TV's with Hulu, Amazon, Netflix and many others on your TV screen...already built-in. This is a time of transition, so I suggest that you go with the flow. Plus, as aforementioned, the old TGP threads still offer a lot of great ideas and are worth checking out.

To me, TGP is a great resource for almost anything, plus the best members and moderators on the planet.

I hope that you can get all your needs covered at a nice low price. May good fortune be with you on your quest.

bloomz and MrLahey like this.
  16. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

That's way over-the-top. It's like some people I know who brag about their MP3 collection being 80K songs. Honestly, they could cut that down to 2K and have plenty to last them next to forever.

If you truly believe you need that many channels, perhaps you're watching an unhealthy amount of TV.

We cut the cable and just have Netflix. And NHL streaming for hockey games. That's it. Can't think of anything else we need. More $ in my pocket.

17. Staticbuster

Staticbuster Member

At first I was excited about your post, but the NFL Game Pass only allows preseason games live. Regular season games are only available next-day. I looked into that last season since we moved away from my home town team last year. NFL Game Pass Europe allows live streams of the games.

However, I did not know about the Sunday Ticket streaming. Unfortunately the link on that page goes nowhere, but that's definitely something I'm going to keep an eye on, so thanks for the info!

18. cap217

cap217 Member

I rarely watch tv but when I do it's nice to have everything avalible. What I do watch:

Nba basketball
    Golf
    Tennis
    ESPN
    Poker night in America
    Some movies
    Silicon Valley
    House of lies
    Ray donnavon
    Better call Saul
    Billions

If I can get that somehow I would easily switch.

19. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

There are ways of circumventing these restrictions. I'd suggest doing some research on IP masking. You could use an application that would mask your IP so that the NFL believe you are a European customer, therefore watch the games live after all.

Also, VPNs.

https://thevpn.guru/nfl-game-pass-watch-bypass-avoid-blackouts-help-dns-proxy-vpn

Happy reading/researching.

Staticbuster likes this.