Who has moved on from the Kemper Profiler and Why?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Slaphappy, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Slaphappy

Slaphappy Member

I've been on the Kemper journey over the last few years (7) and loved it however recently I've had issues with the Kemper and I'm thinking of maybe other options and what to hear from you good people here at TGP because of you vast knowledge and experience and because you're just so gosh darn nice...

The feel and sound of the Kemper is great but I'm curious how it compares to the others, especially against the new competition..........never tried an Axe-Fx unit............hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

2. Saxon68

Saxon68 Supporting Member

Have you hooked up to the new editor yet? I’d try that before moving on, IMO.

If nothing else, try a used axe, you’ll hold most of the value and lose little if you decide you prefer the Kemper.

3. Rayf

Rayf Member

What issues have you had? Problems with your unit, or something with kemper in general? About to pull the trigger on kemper myself having been a helix user for the last couple years.

Bikedude likes this.
  4. Nick Shephard

Nick Shephard Member

I’ve had Helix and AxeFx 3 but been settled with the Kemper for the last two years. However last month I bought the Suhr PT15 and that with a HX effects has been pure heaven. I’m keeping the Kemper, love it, but the problem I’ve had with it and all the other gear is there are just too many options and choices which leads to endless tweaking and tone hunting. I finally got happy with the Kemper when I chose a couple of profiles and stuck with them. That’s now why the PT15 works for me, perfect valve tone straight off the bat, no messing about. My playing has just come on leaps and bounds since doing this. All of the top modellers sound great and are more than capable. You just have to pick a tool that suits your needs and workflow.

5. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

This is a user issue imo, not a Kemper flaw.

As you note, there’s a ready solution. :cool:

6. EL84 Abuser

EL84 Abuser Silver Supporting Member

Disagree. Human nature says if a box has 5 buttons you will have try all 5 of them. Same goes for a box with 50 buttons.
    For the longest time I hated Mesa Boogies cause they had too many knobs and switches.

krunchy800 and ejecta like this.
  7. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

I have a PT15 with a HXFX and some choice pedals as well. Great sounding little rig.

sinasl1 and Nick Shephard like this.
  8. Jon C

Well, I have one, I work with my own human nature, and it took me not too long to recognize your point, use Kemper accordingly, and have it work for me. :dunno

I’m not a tech wiz and I hate overly complicated things ... so it’s not that hard ime without a huge amount of effort.

YMMV if you’re less savvy, less interested, etc.

Jerrod and milli vanilli like this.
  9. EL84 Abuser

Obviously one size doesn't fit all.
    Temptation and curiosity can get the better of many though.
    Wasn't there an experiment done long ago where people were put into a room with a single button labeled DO NOT TOUCH?
    Pretty sure the majority of subjects ended up pushing the button.
    The amount of time it took each person to give in was the real variable.

10. Jon C

Interesting anecdote but if I’m using a Kemper and not tossing it or not even bothering, as I’ve done with others that I agree are too complicated etc., the specific appears to outmatch the generic tale here. :YinYang

Man with Gas likes this.
  11. mdubya

mdubya Member

The PT15 is a really interesting option. It has three great channels; black face, classic Marshall crunch, and lead. Plus, it takes pedals and effects incredibly well with the option to run at very low volumes with studio monitors. It really covers a lot of options.

RJ Ronquillo has really opened my eyes on the Suhr PT amps as he uses his all the time in his demos (PT 100 into Reactive load box) and the tones are always incredible.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Nick Shephard likes this.
  12. mikekim

mikekim Supporting Member

The key to getting the most out of a Kemper is to find a couple of profiles you like and have them as the only ones on the device.
    that way you don't get sucked into profile tweaking (once you have them sounding as you want them to) = more time playing

I have 30 or so profiles on my Kemper, spread out over 5 different amps to cover all of my guitar needs (HH, HS & SSS)

Its simple with the rig manager software to add or remove additional profiles if you want to try some new ones.

13. EL84 Abuser

GIVE THIS PERSON A COOKIE!!!!!

I was at the point I only had 5 profiles on my KPA. I also shut off or fully dimmed all of the LEDs and moved the unit so it was not at arm's reach.
    Amazing what those round things on your guitar can do to alter the tones of a single profile!
    Crunch? Turn the volume to 10. Less crunch?, back it off to 6-7.

14. EL84 Abuser

YOU SIR, GET A COOKIE TOO!

15. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

I'm sure in his seven years of working happily with the Kemper, none of these ideas occurred to him.

16. fourtet102

fourtet102 Supporting Member

Fractal user for 9 years now. In my 3rd attempt I finally settled in with Kemper and don't regret it. I had AXIII but sold it after a week.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Cactusprick and dwk302 like this.
  17. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

I always moved back to the Kemper and stayed there now for the last 2 years. Done.

Cactusprick and buddaman71 like this.
  18. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I’m 100% all in on my PowerRack and cabinets for the remainder of my gigging life.

19. mody

mody Member

I too had only a handful of profiles by the end of it. The reality check happened when i moved back home after a few years, plugged into my old pedal board and amp. The same time my Kemper developed a hard ware issue.

The only logical thing to do was to actually save up and get the real amps i wanted to use. Never looked back.

I still end up using a hybrid pedal board and plugin based at up when I'm traveling, but i really really miss my amps. Also at some point i realised i could get my reproduce my favourite Kemper tones for a fraction of the cost with more flexibility in my DAW. I'd rather maintain a general computing device.

Also after getting my dream amps, i don't remember the Kemper ever giving me the same satisfaction a proper super lead 100 can, not by a long shot.

sugarlou likes this.
  20. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

Tube amp + HXFX and a few other pedals is perfect for me, too.

RayRay likes this.