who has replaced switches on Line 6 Dl4 or M9?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lovesickmusic, Feb 10, 2012.

1. lovesickmusic

lovesickmusic Member

anyone know how hard this is to do? want to replace them with the silent soft touch high grade ones (like on the nova repeater)

2. CrunchBerry

CrunchBerry Member

I have replaced the switches on an M13, which I presume are the same switches as used in the M9. Once you remove the screws on the back of the unit and remove the metal cover on the back, there will be small strip circuit boards with the switches mounted for each row. There will probably be two rows of circuit boards with switches if it is the same as the M13. There are some plastic clips that are holding the PCBs into the housing, so once those are moved enough to free the board, then you are ready to remove the switches.

Be careful, because each switch has a spring under the metal switch you see on top to make contact with the small electrical switch inside. They will fly everywhere if you aren't careful.

To remove, there are four contacts soldered to the PCB for each switch, so if you have access to a soldering iron, you can use solder braid to remove the solder from each pin and then carefully pry each switch up from the circuit board, or you can try to lay the iron tip across all four contacts at one time to get the solder hot and flowing, and then pop the switch out then. If you choose the latter, you will then have to remove the solder from each hole using solder braid most likely before inserting the new switches.

Sorry for the lengthy response, but I wasn't exactly sure which part of the removal process you were curious about. It really isn't too bad at all. Line 6 has done a pretty good job with these products and they are pretty easy to maneuver around inside.

Good luck!!
    Jason

[​IMG]

3. lovesickmusic

lovesickmusic Member

what is the EXACT name of the switches I am looking for?...i might just order some and see what I can come up with!

4. Ashe

Ashe Senior Member

5. AlX.AlX

AlX.AlX Member

6. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

I replaced one of the foot switches on a MM4. On the DL4 and MM4 (and the others in that same line of pedals), the switch is actually on the PCB and the foot switch you press is a plunger that touches the switch on the board. Those foot switches are hard to find, so I just removed the PCB-mount switch completely and replaced the whole thing with a simple SPST momentary footswitch and wired it to the board manually. I think I have some photos of that if you are interested.

It's a cheap and relatively easy fix.

7. beedoola

beedoola Senior Member

I've done them on multiple dl-4s.

I heard Mammoth electronics has momentary switches with shorter shafts than the small bear ones; which I've used in the past, and they're taller and stick out of the chassis more which isn't good

8. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

As long as the switch has two nuts (haha), you can adjust how high it sits off the enclosure. I've never seen a footswitch that only had one nut, but I suppose there must be some out there.

9. AlX.AlX

AlX.AlX Member

I'm really interested in those photos ! Thanks in advance

10. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I've often wondered how different the sound is when Jhv3 does audio upgrade. It just seems like a lot to me. I do need to have better switches put in my Dl4.

11. robertwsimpson

robertwsimpson Member

I did my DL4 with the switches pictured in this thread. twas easy.

12. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

Okay, here we go...

I'm not going to explain pulling the enclosure apart. It's actually quite intuitive.

This photo shows the board fully removed from the enclosure and flipped over. I've circled in red one of the onboard momentary switches:

[​IMG]

Desolder the momentary switch:

[​IMG]

Wire up a SPST momentary stomp switch. I used shrink tubing on the contacts but that's not at all necessary.

[​IMG]

Solder the switch wires to the PCB. The top two switch pads on the PCB are connected via a trace, and the bottom two are both connected to ground, so as long as you make sure one wire goes to a top pad and the other goes to a bottom pad, you're good.

[​IMG]

Take note that the switch mounting hole has a tab (on the DL4/MM4 anyway), and this may or may not line up with the groove on your replacement footswitch. I've circled it in red. If the tab doesn't match your switch, file it down to make the mounting hole smooth. I had to do this on mine.

[​IMG]

Put it all back together and you're good to go. The new switch will likely look a bit different from the originals, but it's a fair trade for a working pedal. ;)

[​IMG]

13. AlX.AlX

AlX.AlX Member

awesome CJ ! Thank you ! It looks really easy...
    Do you think it could be the same with the M9/13 ?

14. Y0UNGBL00D

Y0UNGBL00D Member

from the jvh3 site
    hahaha funny, sad, and true

any M5 users get a chance to check out the instant-scene mode switch? hitting the two at the same time is kind of a PITA

15. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

Marked for later....

16. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

Maybe. Crack that puppy open and post some photos of it pulled apart. :)

17. AlX.AlX

AlX.AlX Member

I just found this picture... It's an M13.
    it seems it's the same system... Though, i wonder if the pcbs, with new Unatached SPST switches, would be floating around the stombox. I don't see the pcbs bolt on to the metal box..

[​IMG]

18. AlX.AlX

AlX.AlX Member

19. jhv3

jhv3 Member

It's very similar to changing out the switches on DL4's and MM4's etc., the difference being you have to drill out the bezels on the new M series to make room for the new housings.
    Makes for lots of scrap metal!

20. AlX.AlX

AlX.AlX Member

thanks jhv3 ! If i was in USA i'd send it to you. Unfortunately i'm in Buenos Aires, Argentina.