Who has shopped for an acoustic lately?

Carpalstunna

Ya the action is a whisker high for my taste but A quick setup will make it perfect. Thanks for your advice guys. Im so glad I bought used. When I add up all the extras with this guitar plus tax new I would have been way over $2,000.00

royd

Nothing really different about a 2007 Taylor than a new one that I can see.

As you said, the only real difference is in the ES system. If you're playing mostly acoustically, that doesn't matter much and if you're happy with that genertion ES - many folk are - then it doesn't matter at all.

Congrats on the guitar!

AlbertA

This year I got a Taylor GA4.

But you really got the try as many as you can. I tried high end Martin's and other higher end Taylors, but the one I kept coming back to was the GA4 as I loved the tone of that guitar (specially in D tuning).

RockinB23

All the companies you listed make great sounding guitars in that price range. Used breedlove guitars in that price range sound more like $3000 guitars. I usually recommend Breedlove guitars to most people looking for bang for the buck.

clmazza

Gold Supporting Member
I finally took the plunge on a Taylor K26ce... I played a few at the Taylor booth at summer NAMM and fell in love :). I also played a few at Gruhn's and left with a similar feeling so I knabbed one once I returned home. Koa gets slammed for being too bright and lacking bottom end.... But Taylor nailed it with this model. It's both beautiful and sounds glorious!

tacorivers

I was looking for a Taylor and was torn between the 600 and 700 series. So I went to my local store and tried out about 6-7 different models. I then bought the guitar there despite the fact that I could have bought a used model for about $400 cheaper. We have to support our local stores.

Carpalstunna

I really wanted to buy it at my local small store (not GC) but it honestly saved me a boatload. With everything I got from this guy 414ce, case, strap, tuner out box with tax it would have cost me 2550$. I paid 1200$.

jerryfan6

Gold Supporting Member
I was looking for a Taylor and was torn between the 600 and 700 series. So I went to my local store and tried out about 6-7 different models. I then bought the guitar there despite the fact that I could have bought a used model for about $400 cheaper. We have to support our local stores.
Really? This guy is excited about his new guitar and this is what you have to add to the thread.

Carpalstunna

Really? This guy is excited about his new guitar and this is what you have to add to the thread.
haha its ok, I agree with his sentiment but I had to be practical. I cannot afford a 600-700 series thats for sure. I will support my local store by taking it there to have it setup and buying a bunch of strings. Doing my part. I did go in there and jam on all of their expensive taylors and then buy a used one, so I felt a little guilty but not $1000 guilty.

tacorivers

The threat title is "Who has shopped for an acoustic guitar" and I added my experience. I was not judging the original poster. Frankly, I totally forgot about the original post.

I can afford an extra $400, he cannot. If I were in his shoes, I would have done the same thing. Sometimes the economic argument is hard to beat. I was talking about MY situation and MY belief that I should give my business to the local store. No referendum on the original poster.

Carpalstunna

The threat title is "Who has shopped for an acoustic guitar" and I added my experience. I was not judging the original poster. Frankly, I totally forgot about the original post.

I can afford an extra $400, he cannot. If I were in his shoes, I would have done the same thing. Sometimes the economic argument is hard to beat. I was talking about MY situation and MY belief that I should give my business to the local store. No referendum on the original poster.
Ya I got your point, no offense on my point. One day I will go down there and drop 3K on a new guitar but for now I needed an affordable player. Thanks for everyones advice on my journey

Blindjoedeath

It $1500 is your budget, I think you'll get more guitar from Taylor than any of the others you mentioned. Martins and Gibsons are unreasonably high priced for new and the quality control blows hot and cold
$1500 will buy you a mighy nice new Taylor. And an even nicer used one. Play as many as you can! Find a good acoustic shop and spend a few hours playing everything in your price range. You may be surprised at what you end up with. I know I have! Shop with your ears, not your eyes !

dspblues

To the OP, If you want a great price on a Taylor.. let me know. I know a dealer that is quoting some of the best prices I've seen. PM me. PS - I get nothing from this.

Wildgift

I have two Martin Performing Artist series guitars, a GPCPA Mahogany and an OMCPA4 Sapele. They both sound great, I lowered the action on one of them and it plays great, I need to do the same to the other. I like the neck profile and the electronics are good in both. Try a couple out.

Yes, the two I own are both solid wood.
I too adore my Martin OMCPA4. It's a wonderful guitar with a great neck and beautiful sound with an understated minimalist appearance.

Okay, you can thank me for this later :)
I have a rule with acoustics.....try before you buy. I will buy an electric without playing but not an acoustic. Since you live in Ohio you need to take a day off and go here:

http://www.wildwoodmusic.com/

Wildwood is the coolest place I have ever been to shop for a guitar. It is an old house with guitar rooms upstairs and downstairs. The house is maintained enviornmentally like a museum...really.
Some beautiful, super high end stuff in glass cases in the front room. then room fulls of Martin, Taylor and Larrivee guitars. All can be played. There are benches throughout with little polish cloths on them to wipe them down when finished playing. I drove from Columbus because so many folks here recommended Larrivee guitars and I had never tried one. I took my son and we spent about 3-4 hours there, trying out and comparing models. They have a great relationship with Taylor and Martin but especially Larrivee. Lots of custom orders on hand to try. Went I went I got fascinated with a bunch of custom Larrivees they had made with tops of Italian Spruce from the area where Stradivarious harvested his violin wood. (It makes a great story). Jean Larrivee was able to bid on a large log from this area during an overseas buying trip (he is from Canada) and asked Marty if she was interested in any guitars being made from this unique aquistion. Well Marty and Don bought the whole log and have commissioned a bunch of custom guitars out of it. Still many for sale on the web site above. I left with one myself.

Trust me it's worth the drive. The prices are easily the best you will find anywhere but....they only take cash/checks and no trade-ins. The selection is huge, the people are super friendly and the ability to compare the tone in so many woods and models is priceless. Apparently people fly into Pittsburgh from all over the U.S. and world then drive here for the selection.

Check out the website, the guitars, the prices and make the drive!
What he said, and more. Don and Marty are two of the nicest people I've never met. I've bought several guitars from 'em, and the only thing they care about, is putting the right guitar in the right hands. Good people.

gibsonjunkie

It $1500 is your budget, I think you'll get more guitar from Taylor than any of the others you mentioned. Martins and Gibsons are unreasonably high priced for new and the quality control blows hot and cold
$1500 will buy you a mighy nice new Taylor. And an even nicer used one. Play as many as you can! Find a good acoustic shop and spend a few hours playing everything in your price range. You may be surprised at what you end up with. I know I have! Shop with your ears, not your eyes !
the new Gibson J-30 is close to that and from what I hear, a very nice guitar.

Trending Topics