Who has tested out the Traynor YCS50 or 90?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TubezAmpz, Aug 27, 2008.

1. TubezAmpz

TubezAmpz Member

in a house where I can actually turn my amp up a l
    Who has tried one? What did you think?

I have had one for about 6 months now and I am still amazed by the sounds I can get out of it on both channels. It seems I can pretty much get ALL the tones of the past decades in this little combo. I wonder what others who have tried one thought of it since I am pretty unfamiliar with the classics except for a few.

2. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Supporting Member

I have the head version of the YCS-50. Insane bang for the buck. I retubed it and it sounds fantastic. It does the modded plexi thing like a mofo...and I scored it for less than $600 new. Highly recommended.

3. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I really want to try one. The dealers around here don't carry much-one doesn't carry them at all unless you order one and the other doesn't have many models in stock and is far away. I have a Ycv40wr but I've heard these are way better/more versitile. The Marshall side really interests me.

4. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

I haven't tried one but I've read a lot of positve reviews.

5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

They get talked about a lot. I have the 50 combo, the 100 head and the 50 head on the way. The 50 is the best sounding amp I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot of them.

6. guitarded_1

Pro Audio Star has a 30 day money back guarantee. You don't have much (if anything) to lose. It's fairly common for these amps to arrive biased cold (though mine was on the money), so some TLC and preamp tube swaps really help wake up a tremendous sleeper amp. If I put you guys blindfolded in front of mine, you would never guess that a $600 Traynor was kicking out those ass kicking, old school rock tones.

7. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

I'm seriously thinking about getting one of these in the near future....what preamp/power tubes seem to work the best?

8. guitarded_1

The head comes stock with EH EL34's. Though I am not a big fan of those tubes in other amps, they sound pretty good in this one...though the Ruby EL34BSTR or the Tungsol EL34B would likely be a big improvement. I removed the stock Sovtek preamp tubes and replaced them with a Telefunken in V1, EH in V2 and a Mullard 12AT7 in the PI slot (usually works wonders). Though the Ruby EL34BSTR is my tube of choice, I keep hearing great things about the Tungsol, so I may have to try some soon.

9. TubezAmpz

TubezAmpz Member

Some good feeback here.

my ycs50 combo came with Sovtek 5881wxt power tubes. I changed those for Tung Sol 5881's. I put a Tung Sol in v1, and JJ's in v2/v3. These sound good to me though I may be trying some more Tung Sol's or Mullards soon.

Guitarded, what did the 12at7 do for your sound? Did you try a good quality 12ax7 in there to compare it to?

10. guitarshaman

guitarshaman Supporting Member

I played the head version today at Music Go Round and it was pretty sweet! I currently own a Traynor YCV40T and the YCS50 is waaaaaayyyyy better.

11. crj55

crj55 Member

I believe the YCS-50 has a 50/15w power switch. So how does it sound on the 15W setting as compared to the 50w setting? Is there much tone change and/or much volume reduction?

12. guitarded_1

The 12AT7 smooths things out sweetens the tone. Yes...I have compared quality 12AX7's. I have been using the Mullard CV4024 for years in the PI position of all the amps I have owned.

13. Blues Jr

Blues Jr Supporting Member

I rented one from L&M last week. It was new right out of the box, so once i got it home it was a little stiff and cold. I've been slowly breaking in the speaker, and it's starting to warm up, and the clean channel is sounding really really good. By tweaking the knobs, im getting really close to my Deluxe Reverb clean sound. The only drawback is that the reverb isn't as lush as the Fender. The drive channel goes without saying, its fantastic in its own right. A tube swap & bias and this thing will be awesome.

14. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

I've read some reviews that say the YCS50 is really REALLY bright, but since it was the combo, it has a lot to do with the Vintage 30 speaker it uses.

Do you guys find that the head is bright as well? What cab config/speakers do you use with it?
    Also, does it take to pedals well on the clean channel? Might not need my 'Marshall-sounding' pedals with one of these, but still want my Dr. Boogey and Big Muff.

Thanks,

15. guitarded_1

I think the amp (particularly the gain side) is fairly bright...but that goes hand in hand with the plexi-like character. It can easily be dialed out, though. I use mine with a Mojotone 4x12 loaded with Weber Silver Bells and Bluedogs. It mates very nicely with my cab.

16. TubezAmpz

TubezAmpz Member

Yes it is fairly bright. I have the combo and usually keep the treble between 4 and 5.5. I think Traynor designed this amp to sound well through the v30 speaker with all the tone dials at noon (at least to my ears) so the EQ works quite well. The more I turn the amp up though I need to turn down the treble but it sounds great when I get those Tung Sol 5881 RI's cooking.

I have recently been doing some experimenting with my bad monkey on the clean channel and I'm quite impressed. It's actually the only reason I bought the bad monkey. The gain channel has enough gain for anything up to 90's metal with the adjustable boost on.

17. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

How does the 50 do @ lower volumes?

18. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

I played the 50 in a store and kept it on 15W and low volume and I thought it was great. Lots of plexi type crunch...must only be better cranked up.

19. TubezAmpz

TubezAmpz Member

Yup. Sounds great low volumes... amazing when cranked.

20. salvatruco

salvatruco Member

I owned the YCS50H, it is an amazing head for the money... I would recommend to replace the power and preamp tubes to your liking... i placed some Tung-sol EL34B power tubes..JJECC83 on V1,tung-sol on V2 and PI...also i used a 4x12 with WGS veteran 30's..

good luck:YinYang