Who has tried the Bad Cat Leash?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by yngzaklynch, Jan 11, 2008.

1. yngzaklynch

yngzaklynch Member

2. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I have one. I bought it to use with my Matchless DC-30, and I'm still mixed about it. Fan noise is pretty noticable, and it doesn't bring the amps loudness down much. A bit, but not enough to use my matchless in a small bar cover band. Dr Z and Reinhardt still sound better/fuller at the lower volume. Matchless sounds great loud, but thats about it.
    I haven't tried the Leash with anything but the Matchless. If I can't make it sound good lower, it's going to be sold.

3. jpfeiff

jpfeiff Member

I've heard that you can run it without the fan just by not pluggin it in. Do a search on BadCat Leash and you can find planty of discussion on it here in earlier threads....

4. 908SSP

908SSP Member

Big bulky, huge cord to run a little fan just silly. Gets fizzy at the volumes I want to play. I'll stay with my Richters.

5. Finaldo

Finaldo Member

I just got my Bad Cat Leash and I'm very happy with it. I'm using it with a 50w JCM800-type amp (the Egnater Amp Seminar head) and have been using it at conversational volumes without any fizziness. To my ears it sounds great, but to each his/her own. It doesn't seem to do anything funky to the high end or low end with lots of attenuation. My amp has plenty of bass after it's been attenuated. My only complaints are about the size of it and the fan. The fan only bothers me when I'm not playing though. Even conversational-level volumes covers up the noise of the fan.

6. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

It may just be a Matchless thing. I own a Hotplate, and while it sounds good with all of the other amps I have owned it sounds like ass with my Matchless Phoenix.

7. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

I currently own the Leash and really like it. I've used a Hotplate and owned the Dr. Z Airbrake and prefer the Leash over both.

If the fan noise bothers you just unplug it. I think I've only plugged my leash in once since I owned it. I would assume the fan is needed only for playing for long periods of time...

8. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

Not to hijack the thread, but has anybody used the Marshall power break?

9. ancient

ancient Member

The Leash seems more versatile with selectable 4, 8, or 16 ohm loads.

10. Newton

Newton Member

Bad Cat "The leash" Does the pot trim to zero or almost?? I'ts for my Komet 60, I have the Komet atenuator and still to loud at home.

11. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

Yep. You can dial it all the way down. I have a couple old 100 watt non-master volume Marshall's that I can actually use now thanks to the leash!