Who has tried the Catalinbread Hyperpak

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DreamTheaterRules, Feb 17, 2009.

1. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Silver Supporting Member

This little thing has really gotten my interest lately. I've saw a comment they other day by someone (here) saying it blew away the OCD (one of my all time favorite ODs) and several other boutique pedals and that all who where there agreed.

The clips I've heard were good. This thing is very affordable and looks to be really good. Who has tried one? What did you use it with (gear) and what did you think?

2. TB72

TB72 Member

Cool little pedal. I Really dig mine through amps with EL84 power tubes (namely a Vox AC30, AC15, and Dr. Z Maz Junior).

My main amps lately have been Fenders though (Super Sonic or Deluxe Reverb reissue). It sounds pretty good through the Super Sonic, but it HATES the Deluxe...very harsh sounding through that one. The Hyper Pak is off my board right now, but I have no intention of selling it.

Later...

3. DreamTheaterRules

thanks for the info. I've heard samples of it with 3 different amps now and all sounded great. I'll have to go back and see which amps had what tubes and see if there's a correlation. Sure seems like a cool little pedal though. And, as of now, all three of my amps are, or have the option of (Rebel 20) EL84 power tubes.

4. ultrevex

ultrevex Member

Mine sounded pretty good, I certainly wouldn't say it blew my OCD away, though. I dumped it because it hissed up a storm.... loud, non-stop white noise 'SHHHHHHHH' regardless of where the knobs were set. I played it through a deluxe reverb and a brown tremolux. This was about 18 months ago, I found several similar complaints on the forum at that time.

5. es125luv

es125luv Member

It is a cool little pedal.

Mine was a newer version and there was ZERO hiss. I think that only was a defect of the very first runs of these.

It sold it but would buy another down the road.

I found it great for some cool Freddie King + ES335 bitey blues stuff!

6. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Very cool little pedal. Sounds great!!

7. fugot

fugot Member

i remember having it for a bit. cool for it was i guess. now the silver kiss, i wish i still had.....

8. Hiwatt Bob

Hiwatt Bob Member

i liked mine alot. i was (and still am) hunting for something to replace my cornish ss-3. it came close, but no cigar. on a budget, i wouldn't hesitate getting another one.

9. Telecaster069

Telecaster069 Member

I use mine with my Tele (Humbucker in the neck) into my 5watt Champ Clone. Mainly for blues and bluesy rock. Couldn't live without it.

10. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

Indeed about the Deluxe. After owning my DRRI for 15 years I finally put in a push pull for the bright cap, put in a C12R, and some old RCA 6V6. The amp has been a real go to lately. It is a really tricky amp to pull off other than clean. All the new PGS videos I've checked out now have the tell tale DR clipping. :BITCH

11. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

I certainly wouldn't call that normal operation for a HP.

12. stephen_b

stephen_b Member

ok... i'll say something critical. its a tiny little box and it needs tonal control. the drive as is was a little too brittle. it did turn heads because of how much power came out of such a small box, but i just couldn't get past how edge-y that gain was, also, it seemed like the the gain was on 10 when it was on 2 and then went up to 20 when i dime'd it. when compared side by side with the ocd or the bb preamp, the winner was clearly the bigger boxes. just for the eq options.

cool little thing, love c-bread's stuff still, but the hyperpak just didn't have staying power for me.

the silverkiss on the other hand: :AOK

13. mfgobbi

mfgobbi Member

+1... cool pedal... but too noisy. Could be a faulty unit but when inquired catalinbread, got no answer...

14. erksin

erksin Member

How long ago was this? I've been running the Customer Support function for over a year now - if it was recently I'd have responded.

Prior to that, we were pretty much a one-man show and Nic was admittedly buried. Not the most satisfying excuse I'm sure, but we've taken a lot of steps to ensure this type of stuff doesn't happen anymore.

15. Agramal

Agramal Member

I have one, like it a lot. I play around it with it for mid-gain tones.

16. DreamTheaterRules

I'll vouch for that. Erksin was all over some questions I've asked here about their products, and even e-mailed me a manual and suggested settings guide when I bought a USED Silver Kiss from the emporium here. He's been more than helpful even before I owned any of their stuff.

I suggested the new model Silver Kiss to a friend a few months ago, and he loves that pedal. I want to try that soon as well, but mean time this little Dirty Channel has really caught my eye. Or, my ear.

Argali, what gear are you using it with?

17. GuitarToma

GuitarToma Silver Supporting Member

I love my HP. It's an awesome standalone pedal and stacks well with others. I've put it in front of my Zen and my Timmy for some crazy overdriven distortion.

NO HISS.

I just love that it has so much gain yet is so tiny. It's the David among the Goliath's on my board.

18. Jesse

Jesse Member

Anyone know if the Hyperpak's FET based, or uses clipping diodes?

19. WorkingClassDan

WorkingClassDan Member

Tried one in a store, loved it. Couldn't believe how perfect it was.

Ordered one, got it home, and found it to be too dark with my setup. I missed having a tone control. So it didn't beat the OCD for me.

20. Burgs

Burgs Member