1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Who has upraded the pups in their historic les paul and what sounds killer?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by drjoel, Nov 2, 2005.

1. drjoel

drjoel Silver Supporting Member

have an R0 that i want to dial in. stock pups are just ok- a little bland sounding. looking for classic old school LP tone- bluesbreakers/ fresh cream/ allmans/ bloomfield/ page/ kossoff- you get the idea. like to hear that slightly compressed snarl out of the bridge pup. what have you tried?

2. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

The "best" pickups for your LP are totally dependant on the guitar itself. Pickups that sound great in one LP might sound mediocre in yours. And vice versa. The Classic '57s that came in my R9 actually sounded really good, but of course I had to muck around. Tried Timbuckers a couple years back, but they weren't a good match. Currently using SD Antiquities which sound excellent, but who am I to judge? Every has their own interpretation of what sounds "good". Best of luck - Tom.

3. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

+1

I've had two R8s with Burstbucker 2's and 3's; same pickups, even same year guitars (02), very different results. My current Historic (yes, another 02 R8) has 57 Classics; oridinarily I don't like those pickups, but they sound good in this guitar. Go figure.

/rick

4. Johnnytone

Johnnytone Supporting Member

I put a Seth Lover in the bridge and a 59 in the neck and I'm very pleased with the tone improvement.

[​IMG]

5. Tonesnob

Tonesnob Member

I definitley no expert, and i do own 2 sets of Jim Rolph pickups, but don't rule out adjusting the pickup heights and pole pc. heights either. That made a difference in a LP Custon of mine.

If you've got '57 classics in your R0 now, consider changing the magnet to an Alnico V.

6. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Go to the LP forum if you want to do some serious reading about replacement pickups! Timbuckers, WCR's, Antiquities, Voodoo, and Holmes are all favorites. FWIW, I have a pair of Holmes in my TQ R4 and I love them. As a point of reference, I think the ABB at FE are some of my favorite LP tones.

7. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

The names you mentioned liking, are almost identical to what Wcr/Wagner refers to in describing his pups. I've tried the Darkburst and Fillmore pups, and prefer the Fillmores myself.

Check crcoils.com

Pretty pricey, but many feel they are more than worth it.

Fwiw,

Larry

8. Ogre

Ogre Member

Seymour Duncan Antiquities are a great value. The bridge position in my R8 is now a joy to hear.

9. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

+1 on the Voodoos. They have that special 'bloom' to them that so few can emulate. I love, though, the Burstbuckers 1 & 2 that came in my 59 Historic LP (I have Voodoos in a McNaught). Bursts also have that bloom, are quite powerful, and can really cut through any mix. Perhaps, as some say, they can be a bit wooly in the bass spectrum, but I easily eq that out with my amp and pedal settings. BTW...++1 on Bloomfield as well. Took up guitar because of him.

10. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

I am really enjoying WCR Goodwoods in my Historic. Very thick and chewy. I swear the guitar got heavier since I put these in.:dude

11. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I agree.... my R8 came w/ Classic 57s. They sounded very good. The Voodoo 59s I put in are slightly but noticeably better, hardly night & day. The Antiquities I put in my former LP Classic WERE a night & day improvement over the horrible (IMO) shrill pickups that are stock in the Classic.

12. tacorivers

tacorivers Silver Supporting Member

1 more vote for the Voodoo 59's. I have them in my R8.

13. HEY!YOU!

HEY!YOU! Senior Member

WCR.....fillmores, darkbursts

No need to look any further.

Disagree about being pricey, an upgrade is still an upgrade. Worth every penny

14. ScottB

ScottB Gold Supporting Member

I've got a 2000 R9. Nothing wrong the 57 Classics that came in it. I've got them in an '89 LP and in the neck position of an '83 Love Rock and love them in both applications. The Love Rock has a 9.5K Fralin in the bridge. Killer combination. That Fralin is the most well behaved humbucker that I've got in terms of squeal tolerance at high gain.

But, of course, since I'm posting on this site I could not resist the urge to swap.

I've got a WCR Darkburst/Crossroads set in there now and I'm pretty happy with them.

15. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

Had an R8 with Burstbuckers and liked them in that guitar. My R9 had 57 classics. Not bad but something was lacking. Now loaded with a Darkburst neck and Fillmore bridge andI can't put it down.