Who have you seen walk onstage and immediately own the place (not just because they were famous)?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Terry McInturff, Aug 19, 2019.

1. DirtLover

DirtLover Member

Marcus Mumford. Mrs. D'Lover drug me to the show and I was blown away. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Shout out to Portugal the Man. I actually thought there was a man named "Portugal", shows what I know. Their opening "medley" started with For Whom the Bell Tolls and also included The Wall and some Chili Peppers. Great band!

2. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

Bruce Cockburn
    Charlie Hunter

Both masterful guitar players who connected with their audiences effortlessly.

msquared, Pablomago and coffeecupman like this.
  3. Tahitijack

Tahitijack Member

Neil Diamond.....5 decades...unheard of...

Spooky Action likes this.
  4. TaoInMotion

TaoInMotion Member

Springsteen, U2, Tina Turner, The Who, Rolling Stones, Buster Poindexter, Billy Joel

CBHTele and DCross like this.
  5. Kevy_Metal

Kevy_Metal Member

The first time I saw the band Gojira as an opener on tour. They completely leveled the room and none of the other bands, including the headliner, could even come close.

313ryans and AprioriMark like this.
  6. TaoInMotion

TaoInMotion Member

Turns ever venue he performs in into his own personal cathedral and he conducts mass, Springsteen style.

7. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

He totally owned the place.

[​IMG]

mad dog, Laurence, sev_reed and 4 others like this.
  8. Shane Sanders

Shane Sanders Supporting Member

Tyler Bryant opening for Jeff Beck at the Ryman in Nashville several years ago. Kid comes out alone with an amp'd acoustic guitar, a voice and lots of groove--easily captivates the room with sound--plays riffs and songs without fanfare, digs into pentatonic stuff just as good as you'd want. Gets his show over quickly enough that you're not tired of waiting for Jeff Beck. Name goes into mental database to find out more about. YMMV.

9. cra1987

cra1987 Member

Recently: Sturgill Simpson

Misterbulbous likes this.
  10. Thedude99

Thedude99 Member

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
    Interpol
    Mercury Rev

11. zenitB

zenitB Supporting Member

One that you might not expect, John Hiatt. I have seen him several times up to the late 80's and I went to a performance in San Diego at UCSD and there was almost no one there, in fact I was the only guy who bought a ticket and the only person who knew who he was (there were 6 people in the audience and all except me got their ticket free from the campus radio station). This was the tour for "Riding with the king" and he had a kick ass band. He walked out on stage, looked at the single row of folks in front of the stage and said "You look small but you look good" you expect a performer to own a room full of fans - like the Stones always do, but I think this situation kind of shows the other side of the situation. Who knows how far they traveled or how much they got paid but he delivered that night almost in a way that I have never seen. I'll never forget it.

12. Quartermass

Quartermass Member

I sat in a local live concert bar quite a few years ago waiting for "the performer". Yeah..I knew the guy scheduled to show up was "kinda famous". But as I sipped a beer I saw him walking down the sidewalk (that I had walked myself many times) dressed in black casual attire and holding a guitar case. He walked through the door (with no entourage whatsoever) and climbed up on to the stage (it's a pretty small place) and just plugged right in. Then he proceeded to COMPLETELY engage the audience with a collection of his classic tunes...encouraging sing-alongs, graciously accepting a "fan purchased" Guiness and sticking around afterwards to sign autographs and shake hands. Everybody there that eve was treated to one of the most generous performances of an artist I've ever seen. I'll never forget that night, Pat Dinizio...you shook my hand. What a great dude.

p.s. This is NOT the concert I saw...just a reference video filmed a few years later...but the vibe was similar. Cheers.

13. Stike

Stike Member

I wasn't there but knew folks that were- U2 played the first show of their tour supporting the War album at UNC Chapel Hill, Todd Rundgren was headlining. They were kind of well known at the time but it was a bit before Sunday Bloody Sunday became a big single. By most accounts they owned that show.

supergenius365 likes this.
  14. aeo

aeo Member

to be fair... this was well before 'prime' manson. he was an opener on this tour too.

but his act at the time paled in comparison to what KORN did with just their music to that audience. truly astounding to see.

tnvol likes this.
  15. Kriskov

Kriskov Silver Supporting Member

I went to Denver, Fiddler's Green to see the BB King show, with other acts, Buddy Guy, a local band etc. At the time I wasn't that familiar with John Hiatt. He put on an incredible show the whole time, but for his last number, he said "All you people who write songs, keep doing it, because one day, if you're real lucky, 20 years after you wrote the song, BB King and Eric Clapton will pick it up and make it a hit!" And launched into Riding With the King. Goosebumps!

CBHTele and Laurence like this.
  16. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Supporting Member

Heard he just released new music?

17. Kriskov

Kriskov Silver Supporting Member

Also, did backstage for Blues Under the Bridge here in Colorado Springs and Koko Taylor was the headliner. It was a raised stage and she had to be helped up, but there was a wall of PA speakers and she rested there and caught her breath. I swear when she cleared those speakers, she morphed into this 8 foot tall performing monster! Then she would hand the guitar player a solo and go back behind the speakers where no one could see her and bend over and huff and puff, a small fragile woman. When the solo was over, she would sashay back on stage and be ten feet tall this time! It was the best demonstration I have ever seen of how true performers morph to another universe when they go on stage. It was just a few months later when she passed, but no one in that audience saw anything but a world class talent at the height of her powers.

18. Lef T

Lef T Member

Koko Taylor.

mad dog likes this.
  19. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

Tatiana Shmailyuk from Jinjer.
    I'll be seeing them next month. So , not "seen in person" yet.
    However , here are just two live vids that shows her command , stage presence , domination and .......She is a great front person and performer!!!! :dude

This is from Aug. 2 this year.

This one is from a couple of years ago.

20. tnvol

tnvol Ufologist Silver Supporting Member

I get it. I can def see everyone in a Korn audience bouncing and the whole place coming unglued.