Who here brings 2 amps to gigs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JubileeMan 2555, Jun 29, 2006.

1. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Just curious. I realized after reading tones of threads about "this amp is too heavy...or that amp is too heavy...etc" that the majority of TGP readers must be bringing smaller amps to gigs.

I bring a budda head and bogner 4x12 along with my EVM 12L loaded Twin with me to EVERY GIG. Thats a lot of gear and weight to lug around, but I don't mind the second I plug in:)

So who out there does it like me and brings major horsepower to every gig?

2. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

I used to bring out a multi amp set up, but realized that I appreciated the tones more than Joe Schmo guzzling their PBR. It does sound awesome if you have the right amps together though.

3. drjojo42

drjojo42 Member

every gig i load in a dr maz .sr and 2x12 cab,and leave a blues jr in the car,you never know when a tube will take a dump on you,is a blues jr major horse power?

4. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

lol...not exactly;)

um, why don't you just bring an extra set of tubes and put them in your bag? would be easier than lugging a little 1x12 amp everywhere.

5. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

More can go wrong with an amp than tubes...I bring a Jr too. My gig bag with cables and such weighs about the same...no trouble for my piece of mind.
    I'd lug my Marshall anywhere If I could use all it's power.

6. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I brought 2 amps for a lot of years. They'd tend to be 2 50 watt or 100 watt combos. I love doing that .. I'd play thru them simultaneously ; i.e. not a/bing them... The sound is so much more interesting that way . Over the years as I got older, I still have 95% of the PA duty and it's just too much for me. I barely get any time to concentrate on setting up my guitar stuff, as the other guys I play with typically are pretty much PA-intelligenceless. They're intelligent at other things, just not PA gear!! Occasionally I'll still bring a Stereo Engl amp I have and use a wet/dry setup with that (a rack and 2 cabs) but other than that , it's mostly 1 amp plus pedalboard plus wireless for me.

ERIC

7. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

I use the Crate Powerblock thingie as a backup; before that, always at least an extra tube head besides my main one.

8. maestrovert

maestrovert Member

i use a Princeton and a reworked Blues Jr (mods by www.s2amps.com), the Bjr sits on a stand on my right at hip level within arm's reach (i keep my E-Bow and glass slide on it) facing across the stage, The Prince sits just on the floor on the opposite side of the bass drum facing up & out.

9. landru64

landru64 Member

i have an extra amp in the car for all gigs. sometimes i'm running 'dual mono' anyway for headroom, or mixing different amp characteristics.

10. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

I'll bring my Bad Cat Hot Cat 30R head and 2x12 cab, and also my Vox AC30CC. I use a Morley A/B/Y live to switch between them.

11. Ricker

Ricker Member

I've got a tonebone headbone and a Lehle dual............so I can take two amps if I want.
    I did a few times but it became a bit of a hassle when we played festivals etc and only had 15mins to set up and sound check.
    At the end of the day a good channel switcher should get you 90% to 95% there....so it's alot more effort for that extra 5 to 10%....
    Sometimes and in my case it's not worth it.

Cheers
    Rick

12. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

I've had my 69' Vibrolux go down 2 times in the last 5 months. So now I take my new Modded 70' Princeton Reverb 1x12 as my main amp, and take along my 69' Bassman (Allen modded head) as a back up. The head has an Ohm switch for 4 or 8 ohms. If my PR goes down at a gig, I have the head setting right behind it on a stand ready to be hooked up. Since I have an 12" Eminence Governor in the PR, it would have no problem handling the bassman head. I haven't had to use it yet,but I sure do feel secure at the gigs now.

13. Craig Walker

Craig Walker An expensive cup V Gold Supporting Member

Anyone do the Eric Johnson thing with one amp for your cleans, one for the high gain? I'm thinking of doing this, as my 'gig' is stationary: church. :)

14. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I've played out with two, not often. Not just gigs. At one point I was dragging two BF fenders (SR and DR) to a studio for rehearsals, which struck the staff as lunacy. I'll bring two to an outdoor gig next week. No major horsepower. Probably a 35 watt Clark Tyger and 16 watt Gibson GA40. Or if I'm really adventurous, two magnatones. Never A or B. Always together. Some very cool sounds in dual amp setups, if you can stand lugging all that stuff around.

15. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

yup, thats how I run my rig. My budda is the dirty, and my '68 twin is the clean... I just can't have only one amp that does both:)

16. atomicmassunit

atomicmassunit Member

I bring two amps, both on. One is really for backup, but since it's there I use it as a side fill for the drummer and bassist. I use a homebrew JTM45 through a 1x12 cab (sounds like God) and a 57 vibrolux or 65 deluxe reverb for side fill...

17. mprvise

mprvise Member

Ditto, that way I can still make guitar sounds if my tube amp fails.

I did a multiple amp set up for a while but got too old/lazy for that business. The other guitar player in my current band always brings multiple amps. His set up is BF Vibrolux and the bottom 1/2 of a Leslie cab, usually powered by a 50W Marshall. Makes me want to start lugging a few amps to the gig again. :AOK

18. somedude

somedude Member

I just started running a Boogie MkIII/Orange Rocker 30 setup (both 1x12 combos).

Typically, I run both together for cleans, MkIII Clean/Or OD for crunchy dirt, and MkIII lead/Or OD for heavy chugga chugga type rhythm. For leads I either ride my volume knob upto 10 (fat/mean), or punch the Orange with an OD for more dirt/volume (scream).

I used to run a stereo rack setup, but this is tonally more flexible, and the two amps compliment each other extremely well.

19. big mike

big mike David Grissom Wannabee Staff Member

i always bring two, but I don't run a multi amp rig. It's either Z or Greer and it was the other for backup, but I picked up a powerblock for backup instead.

20. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

One of the last gigs I had, I was taking two Marshall 1/2 stacks & a Traynor 4x10 combo for cleans. These three were my active backline.

One clean amp (Traynor), crunch ( '83 JCM800 2204), and solo ('75 JMP 50watt).