1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Who here does good fret work via mail?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by aguynamedben, Jun 27, 2020.

1. aguynamedben

aguynamedben Member

Are there any reputable luthiers here that can do fretwork on a neck for a partscaster by mail? Can I have a nitro-finished Allparts/Musikraft neck drop-shipped to one of you do have the frets leveled/dressed and fingerboard edged rolled?

I have a nice Custom Shop Tele, but I'm building my first partscaster as a fun guitar to keep at my office and work on.

When it comes to necks for a partscaster it seems the options are:
    1. Buy a finished neck taken from an existing guitar (that was hopefully looked at by a good luthier at some point after it left the Fender factory).
    2. Buy an unfinished neck from Allparts, USACG, Musikraft, Warmoth, finish it myself, do the fretwork myself.
    3. Buy a nitro finished neck from the above suppliers, do the fretwork myself.

I want to do the guitar's setup, shimming, cutting the nut, wiring, etc. but I don't want to mess with fretwork because I want it to be done well!

I have a local luthier, but being in San Francisco it's expensive, and and he's always recommended a full out Plek+setup which seems like overkill for a yet unproven partscaster.

Anyone here up for some mail-in business?

–Ben

2. aguynamedben

aguynamedben Member

Also feel free to tell me Option #4: "it's not that hard, learn to do it yourself!". I've had fun doing wiring, setups, truss rod adjustments, etc. But fret leveling/dressing just seems like such a critical thing where experience matters and it's worth having someone do it really well.

RicOkc likes this.
  3. WIshbones

WIshbones Supporting Member

Bro, bring it to Gary Brawer. He's the best. He's on Lafayette St, right off Mission. I don't bring my guitars to anyone else.

aguynamedben likes this.
  4. Gig Young

Gig Young ¡An Advocate for Advocacy! Gold Supporting Member

Wow!
    Brawer is top notch!

aguynamedben likes this.
  5. Obsessive Tinkerer

Obsessive Tinkerer Member

Not the cheapest or most convenient, but the very best is Mike McConniville in Stratford Ontario Canada. While it’s is, have him fit one of his proprietary intonated and compensated nuts. He gets stuff shipped all the time.

aguynamedben likes this.
  6. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

When you have guys like Gary Brawer and Geoff Luttrell in town it's hard to justify shipping the neck out.

This guy has a lot of videos on YT (under the name StringTech Workstations) and while I think his compensated nuts are ugly as sin, the results he's getting with intonation are superb.

aguynamedben and Gig Young like this.
  7. WIshbones

WIshbones Supporting Member

Correct.

aguynamedben likes this.
  8. galibier_un

galibier_un Supporting Member

This raises an interesting side question. How long after mounting the neck (so it experiences string tension) would you wait in order to be comfortable that the stresses equalized before you took to leveling.

The few necks I've worked with seem to stabilize within 24 hours.

... Thom

AceBSpankin and aguynamedben like this.
  9. sg13

sg13 Member

It’s actually easy with the right tools, I learned to do it watching YouTube and my first job on a strat came out great. Cutting a new nut was more work than the level and polish.

I did it with a $50 Fretguru leveling beam, $18 notched straightedge from neck check guitar tools, a $30 triangle file from stew Mac, some sandpaper strips, tape, and some micro mesh pads for polishing. Less than $120 in materials. Don’t buy the crazy expensive stuff.

The hardest part was getting the feel for the triangle file to crown, but after 5 minutes I was starting to get it and where to put the pressure.

aguynamedben likes this.
  10. Rhomco

Rhomco Silver Supporting Member

Ship it to Big John at www.bigjohnsguitars.com
    Fretwork done right at reasonable prices. I send all my serious fretwork to him.
    Rob

aguynamedben likes this.
  11. cjp54

cjp54 Member

Reach out to @hogy. He does excellent fret work.

aguynamedben and Gig Young like this.
  12. boyce89976

boyce89976 Silver Supporting Member

13. Obsessive Tinkerer

Obsessive Tinkerer Member

Mike has done a bunch of mine and the intonation is uncanny. Every fret on every string is dead on..... so the jazz chords in the low register where you need to dislocate fingers are dead on. I find I avoid some voicing unconsciously on the guitars he hasn’t updated the nut on yet. He also uses fossilized tusk which sounds like bone to me, but is far harder... so no burring on the wound strings. I wander over to his shop for work and to be social now and then. It’s interesting to see the brand new custom shop Fenders and Gibsons he gets before owners even play them. Yes, the nut looks odd, but it’s so very worth it.