Who here has a '68 Custom Princeton Reverb?

jpervin

Silver Supporting Member
For TGPers who own a '68 Custom Princeton Reverb...Are you overall happy with it?
Anything you don't like about it?
Also, at what point on the amp's volume knob does it start to break up?

Last edited:

laughingsam

overall i'm very happy with mine.

i do wish the tremelo would go a bit slower than it does. it gets *really* bassy unless it's tilted/off the floor, but I usually have it up on a stand, so it's no problem. i also kinda wish it had a mid knob, but that's just me.

mine starts to break up around 4 if i'm hitting the strings hard.

ftr - i don't gig, it's purely for my conservatoire (spare bedroom) playing.

Montana Slim

overall i'm very happy with mine.

i do wish the tremelo would go a bit slower than it does. it gets *really* bassy unless it's tilted/off the floor, but I usually have it up on a stand, so it's no problem. i also kinda wish it had a mid knob, but that's just me.

mine starts to break up around 4 if i'm hitting the strings hard.

ftr - i don't gig, it's purely for my conservatoire (spare bedroom) playing.

Yep, agree with most of this. I play at home only, amp up off the floor on a table, a little bassy, breaks up at 4 or 5. I like the amp, sounds great.

thekaiser

Gold Supporting Member
Just got mine, and apart from a microphonic tube causing all sorts of rattley sounds, I love mine. With a Strat I can stay clean up to about 5 or 6 providing I'm not slamming the strings and with humbuckers break-up starts around 4.5. I do wish there was more control on the reverb before it went into surf mode.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
The 68 CPR can get woofy/farty when using a guitar with humbuckers. I don't care for the stock Celestion speaker as I prefer speakers with a cleaner tone. It's a good PR for around the house, not so good for playing with a band because it doesn't have enough clean headroom. Sorry, but I like the PRRI better. I do like the 68 CDR.

texstrat

Silver Supporting Member
I played it and liked it at first, but when I brought it to a band practice it was no good. Flubbed in the lie ended, and was very think in the highs. Not my style

WineCaster

Silver Supporting Member
I had one for around 5 months but actually sold it today. Great amp but in the end I decided to try other things... Really hard to overlook the bassiness of this amp. Additionally, I found that the overdrive was somewhat hard to achieve without being too loud... My next amp will have a master volume pot.

LoopyBullet

Silver Supporting Member
I got mine tonight. Holy smokes this thing is really great for just straight clean tones with a Strat. I haven't really blasted it with high volume or pedals yet, so I have yet to see the bassyness and flabbyness that everyone speaks of. I used to keep my old DRRI's bass at 0, so we'll see.

jmparker56

I bought one a few weeks and I experienced flabby low end especially on the humbucker guitars. I did not get much of that on my strat. I have read that given time the speaker will break in and that it gets much better. I did not wait for that and got a Eminence Legend 1058 as it was not too expensive. It really smoothed things out straight away. With my strat it starts to break up in a very nice way around 5 - 6. I have not played out with it yet, hope to soon and we will see.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
I got mine tonight. Holy smokes this thing is really great for just straight clean tones with a Strat. I haven't really blasted it with high volume or pedals yet, so I have yet to see the bassyness and flabbyness that everyone speaks of. I used to keep my old DRRI's bass at 0, so we'll see.
That's it. You have to keep the Bass almost off on the 68 CPR except when playing at low volume.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
originals were like that too being bassy
Exactly. A vintage PR and the PRRI already have a lot of low end but the 68 CPR has even more and it's just not needed. It is not that bad with single coil pickups but humbuckers can make it "fart out".

zwolf

About to go pick one up today. Also getting the 68CDR to try side by side and see which is a better fit. Will return one...

MRscratch

Got one for my budget rig for travel / work / camp life. That and a prs se 24,5.
It is a great little amp. I have no issues with it at all. Its 12 watts !! What do you want? Headroom? Really?
It sounds great for lis volume gigs, bedroom raunch, doubds great with an OCD.
Cant go wrong!

DRS

I wish Fender would have made the 68 CDR with the bias trem of the 68 CPR and 68 CVR. I had a DRRI that I really liked but I didn't like the trem as much as the bias style.

Trending Topics