Who here has run a 1x8 tweed Champ into a 1x10, 1x12, 2x10 or 1x15 cab?

katuna

Gold Supporting Member
Much better. I've used 1x12 cabs and 2x12 cabs with one and I liked it, usually with Weber alnico speakers, iirc. I also had one that a tech shoehorned an old 10 inch Celestion into and it sounded much better that way too.

Barnzy

My favorite amp is my Victoria 5112. It is a clone of the 5F1 Champ circuit in a 1x12 combo configuration. I've directly compared it to an original tweed Champ and it sounds significantly "fuller and beefier".

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
I've never run an actual tweed champ into a larger cab, but I've played several champs that were built into 1x12 cabs, and they sound great.

Barnzy

My favorite amp is my Victoria 5112. It is a clone of the 5F1 Champ circuit in a 1x12 combo configuration. I've directly compared it to an original tweed Champ and it sounds significantly "fuller and beefier".
...I wanted to add that I have run my Vic 5112 chassis into a Dr. Z 2x10 with great results as well. Personally I like the 1x12" alnico sound best however.

Laurence

Gold Supporting Member
Yes, including a 4X12. It gave it it a larger/filler sound in the room I was in. If I were recording close mic'd, I'd pick the speaker that sounded best through the board (which could end up being the 8in).

TJNies

I have run a vintage VibroChamp into a 1x12" and now own a custom-made VC with a 12" custom cab. It also has a control to remove the tonestack, effectively making it a tweed Champ.

It sounds excellent in either case.

coldengray

I JUST built a Tweed Champ in a Deluxe sized cabinet with 12" Jupiter speaker. It sounds huge when cranked. I'm adding a 3-way bright cap switch and cathode bypass switch...for playing with humbuckers.

The 8" speaker is not worth doing, a 10" is needed at a minimum.

somecafone

For some years I had a Lil Dawg Champster, which is a champ circuit in a 12" cab.
Sounded great.
Had a Weber alnico in there which surely helped.
Only reason I don't still have it is that I was forced to trade for monitors when I had no money.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
Li'l Dawg Tweed Champster 5W version in a 12 inch cabinet. Yes, I do like the way it sounds.

8s sound too little. 10s, well come to think of it, I never had a single 10.

sportoflife

Yes Sir!

I have run a 73 Champ, 66 Vibro Champ, 59 Tweed Champ into z best, home made 212 with WGS, single 10 weber, single 12 c12n, and a mesa half stack with v30's
My favorite combo is the jensen C12N from the early 60's thats in my 57 tweed deluxe.

My second favorite is the weber sig c8 thats in the 59 champ now. Really helps fill out the base and give you a fuller tone without losing the charm of an 8". I can get Joe walsh ALL DAY.

I also had ripped out the baffle in my 73 and crammed in a 10" weber. I wouldn't recommend that as it just never sounded right. You really need a bigger cabinet for a larger speaker to sound right.

sportoflife

Li'l Dawg Tweed Champster 5W version in a 12 inch cabinet. Yes, I do like the way it sounds.

8s sound too little. 10s, well come to think of it, I never had a single 10.
8's may sound too little for just jamming along in a room but they actually record fairly well.

neteraser

But the advantage is that you can go a little louder not bothering anyone. It sounds "just for you", not filling the room that much, which is cool.

H. Mac

I've run my 1960 Champ through just about every combination of speakers imaginable - paired speakers of the same size (10s, 12s, and 15s); paired speakers of different sizes (1 10" and 1 12", 1 10" and 1 15", 1 12" and 1 15") and through a variety of single 10s, 12s, and 15s. It has sounded great though all of them, even with an occasional impedance mismatch. And it's always been fun to play too!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom