• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Who here has spent $10k on a single guitar?

Jugghaid

Gold Supporting Member
And, In a couple years when I retired, if I end up getting a boat instead of that retirement Private Stock I've been thinking about, then I will never spend that much on one.

I do not accept the premise that this is an "either/or" proposition. :D

Cheddar Kung Pao

Platinum Supporting Member
Well, the strat and 330 I've been gigging 40 years, so I just play'm

any pro tips to avoiding any issues? Some guys have told me some horror stories of thefts that make me assume it's bound to happen to everyone at some point.

ripgtr

any pro tips to avoiding any issues? Some guys have told me some horror stories of thefts that make me assume it's bound to happen to everyone at some point.
Well, it can happen. You do your best to avoid it. I've been lucky but I try to be careful.

I don't take the valuable stuff out to dive bars. A nice brew pub in a suburb town? Yea, no problem. Blues jam downtown? Nope.
Also, do not leave things unattended or unwatched. People get stuff stolen when they are loading out and leave stuff in the car unlocked - or even open. Stuff lying on stage with no one watching.
Be aware of your surroundings, being a little suspicious and paranoid never hurts in a bar at 2 am, lol.I also don't drink a lot at gigs. Pack up and go home.

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
Gold Supporting Member
Too much coin for me. I just can’t justify it. I think the most I spent was around $3200 and that was tough to justify.

BigDoug1053

Gold Supporting Member
I have the means to buy a $10K guitar, and my wife would likely support the purchase if it was important to me. I just think it's too much for a guitar when there's so much wonderful and high quality stock to be had for a fraction of $10K. Last year I spent that much, but on four really splendid guitars: a Gretsch G6118, a CS-356, a Steinberger GR4, and a ES LP. I would rather have more and different guitars/basses than a single big ticket item... because I want to try ALL of THEM out.

Dr Doom

It's funny how you'll pay an amount that once seemed unthinkable. I've bought a couple guitars within the last couple years that broke the 5k threshold. Never thought I'd pay 5k for a guitar. The thought of that would have seemed insane at one time. But once you break your cherry and go $2500, then $2800, then $3400, then $3800, then $4200, etc over the years, it eventually sort of just happens lol

bibir

I've got collection worth a little over 100k in guitars amps and pedals, but I've never bought a 10k guitar piece. My most expensive purchase was 5k for a Bloomfield drive.

Those korina V though are surely tempting, but can't justify the price tag.

I did miss out on vintage LPJr before the pandemic , I can't justify 6k for a single pickup student guitar back in the day, nowdays it's 10k ++ for a full original one. Dang.. I ease that pain with an eastman.

DreamTheaterRules

Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs
Gold Supporting Member
I do not accept the premise that this is an "either/or" proposition.
After the year I’m having, NEITHER SHOULD I!!! :D:D A nice Lund, a Louis Electric Cobra, and some form of PRS Hollowbody sure make retirement sound better! But my wife REALLY wants to retire early... She’s paying off everything and piling money in the bank. I think she means it.

Masa

I had the chance to buy a 59 LP for 10k years ago, seemed like insane money!

Yeah, same here. I saw a 59 LP for $9,999, when I was in high school. Obviously, I couldn't afford it. I was (still am) more of a strat guy, anyway.

I paid about $13,000 for a classical guitar, which I rarely play, because I'm kind of afraid of ruin it. I mean a little scratch or a dent would reduce the value by $2,000. I'm happy with playing a $4,000 used classical guitar from the 60s, which sound as good, if not better than the $13,000 guitar. I still have the guitar, just because....

Bodhisattva

never paid it outright but i've traded a bunch of stuff + some cash toward custom shop gear. I'm just glad i never went full IV heroin and started buying vintage. Custom Shop is maybe like powder coke and nothing to be toyed with however but i'm glad that i've (thus far) been able to stop this progressive illness before i hit a 10k lick

Jugghaid

Gold Supporting Member
I think I would rather buy 4 or 5 $2Kish guitars. Or maybe 3 $3Kers.
Nothing wrong with that at all. I have quite a few in the 2k to 5k range including Core PRS guitars (and basses). Fantastic instruments.

A 10k instrument is more of an heirloom type deal for me and I would personally spend that kind of cash on a custom instrument made to my specs rather than a vintage collectible. Probably not the best decision financially, but I buy instruments to play them, not for their resale value.

Last edited:

Blauserk

Gold Supporting Member
OP here - Ultimately my decision was made for me, as the guitar I was looking at sold. I hesitated too long. Here’s the guitar I was looking at.

View attachment 437352 View attachment 437352 View attachment 437353 View attachment 437354
That's a beautiful guitar with unusual figuring in the Korina, but all gibson "futuristic" guitars are $10k if memory serves. Consider getting a "Banker" brand Explorer--they're more like $5k and by all accounts very well made. (Or for that matter, an old Korina Hamer--although the prices of those have crept up.)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom